Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I love Star Wars but this is wrong

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Homeless man freezes to death in Birmingham

Old 05-12-2016, 07:50   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
This just makes me sad......... No one cared enough to try and help this guy??

Its really very sad........

Quote:
"A homeless man ‘froze to death’ on the streets of Birmingham just a day before UK charity Shelter warned more than 250,000 people in England will be homeless this Christmas as high rents, benefit cuts, and a worsening housing crisis create the perfect storm.

The body of the unknown man was found in the West Midlands city at 11.30pm GMT on Wednesday, the coldest night of the year. [more]
http://www.rt.com/uk/368862-homeless...istmas-england

Please try to help the homeless!

Last edited by Dude111; 05-12-2016 at 07:55.
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51   #2
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: Homeless man freezes to death in Birmingham

I know it's not much but when I see a homeless person, I always go to a nearby cafe, Gregs etc and buy them a hot drink and something to eat.

RIP to this poor man, after all he was somebody's son and more importantly a human being. IMO no one deserves to live or die like this, it truly breaks my heart at what a sad and lonely world this is for some.
Old 05-12-2016, 14:44   #3
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
I know it's not much but when I see a homeless person, I always go to a nearby cafe, Gregs etc and buy them a hot drink and something to eat.

RIP to this poor man, after all he was somebody's son and more importantly a human being. IMO no one deserves to live or die like this, it truly breaks my heart at what a sad and lonely world this is for some.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 14:59   #4
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Very sad indeed when you hear of these stories as what weenie says rings very true as although sometimes we moan about things sometimes its nowhere near as bad as many who are homeless as there are many many reasons why they became homeless in the first place and l just wish some in society would stop being so judgemental as any of us or our dearest and nearest could be in the same position given the wrong circumstances in their life.
Old 05-12-2016, 15:03   #5
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

... and the vast majority of homeless people are men who the system generally places at the bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities for housing etc. especially after family breakups.
Old 05-12-2016, 15:12   #6
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Many get caught in a Catch 22 situation where bureaucracy beats them senseless and they just give up.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 17:40   #7
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem
... and the vast majority of homeless people are men who the system generally places at the bottom of the pile when it comes to priorities for housing etc. especially after family breakups.
Ya its sad...... With all the empty houses around,why doesnt the county take some of them over and allow in the homeless??

Like a big family!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 19:10   #8
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Ya its sad...... With all the empty houses around,why doesnt the county take some of them over and allow in the homeless??

Like a big family!
I think a lot of homelessness is usually down to other factors. Mental illness, addiction etc rather than simply lack of space.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 19:14   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think a lot of homelessness is usually down to other factors. Mental illness, addiction etc rather than simply lack of space.
Many hostels for the homeless have strict alcohol and drug rules and addicts would rather stay on the street than give those up. Sad but true. I don't know if that's the case here but it's often not so simple. RIP.
Old 05-12-2016, 19:29   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I saw a video on Facebook it was a social experiment on how people deal with homelessness.

A guy sat on the pavement with a banner saying something like "Homeless need money for Alcohol & drugs", people gave him loads of money.

Then later he sat on the pavement with a young barefooted girl (daughter)lying on him. people just ignored them.

Except one, that was a homeless woman who gave them everything she had take that day. As she walked away he called her back explaining what he was doing.

He then gave her money back as well as $100.

Unfortunately homeless people have become invisible, I haven't seen any in my town, but I have seen loads in London.
Old 05-12-2016, 22:47   #11
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Speaking as a person who was homeless for 2 years (admittedly 20 yrs ago) the first thing I would say is do not under any circumstances give money to a "beggar". Most are professionals who make a good living out of preying on your conscience. Believe me, I know beggars that make £300 per day!

If you want to help contribute to one of the many drop-in centres where they can get helped.

I'm thankful for the help I got from a drop-in centre all those years ago, they not only helped me find accommodation but assisted me to have a different outlook on life.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 23:07   #12
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Many hostels for the homeless have strict alcohol and drug rules and addicts would rather stay on the street than give those up. Sad but true. I don't know if that's the case here but it's often not so simple. RIP.
Yes and many hostels are violent places too so many people would rather take their chances elsewhere.
Old 05-12-2016, 23:39   #13
MalteseFalcon
cf.mega poster

MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
MalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronzeMalteseFalcon is cast in bronze
Send a message via AIM to MalteseFalcon

Since August, seen a dramatic increase in the number of homeless people in Stevenage. Many sleep down in the doorways of banks or shops overnight. I know of one who sleeps in the doorway of Lloyds Bank and each morning the person who opens up brings them a cup of coffee or tea and a roll with a warm filling.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:27   #14
RizzyKing

Hard to think of the UK as a developed nation when a citizen can freeze to death when there is no shortage of places that for a minimal cost could house them and keep them warm.
Old 06-12-2016, 10:58   #15
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I can remember one beggar asking me for money for chips. I offered to buy him chips but he didn't want that.

Problems with "empty" housing stock is that they may not be safe or may be owned by absentee landlords using it as investment (or other reasons) so are not available to be used. And many homeless do need care as well as shelter.