Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Post-Brexit Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Post-Brexit Thread
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:04   #3076
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Can't link to the story at the moment but the Eurozone have agreed some debt relief to Greece.

Last edited by Damien; 07-12-2016 at 10:13.
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2016, 11:23   #3077
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
In a bid to see off a rebellion by pro-EU Tories, the PM agreed to a Labour demand to publish her Brexit “plan” soon.
The Government added to the Labour motion, and added that MPs should support the PM's Brexit timetable

But at the same time, she also laid down the gauntlet to the Commons to accept June’s landmark decision.

The historic vote will be the first time that all MPs have been asked to endorse the British people’s verdict, after they backed the campaign to stay in the EU by a ratio of two to one.

A government amendment to Labour’s original motion will this afternoon press MPs to “respect the wishes of the United Kingdom as expressed in the referendum on 23 June”.

And in another bid to smoke out Remain supporters who secretly want to block Brexit, the Commons will also be asked to back the PM’s timetable of triggering Article 50 exit talks by the end of next March.

A senior No10 source said: “This is potentially very awkward for some Labour MPs and the likes of Nick Clegg.

“Now we’ll see if those who say they accept the referendum result really do.”
Linky
Old 07-12-2016, 11:42   #3078
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Can't link to the story at the moment but the Eurozone have agreed some debt relief to Greece.
Here's the article on the debt relief to Greece http://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu...-idUSKBN13V22R

I think elections in France and Germany will not be issues for the Eurozone. It's in Greece, Italy and Spain that problems may exist.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Theresa May is a politician's politician and a clever move on her part.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:34   #3079
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Yep, when I'm playing a high stakes game of poker I always show my cards to the audience so that they can discuss my hand within earshot of the other players
Old 07-12-2016, 12:59   #3080
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Leave voter British hairdresser Deir Dos Santos explains why he brought the legal challenge against Parliament not needing to vote on Article 50. Yup, it's not just Gina Miller who feels strongly on this issue.
Will the Brexit red top press term him a Monaleaver?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7395096.html

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 ----------

A group of Labour MPs will refuse to vote to force Theresa May to reveal her Brexit plans – because it would also mean backing her timetable for triggering Article 50.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7460531.html
Old 07-12-2016, 13:09   #3081
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
LA group of Labour MPs will refuse to vote to force Theresa May to reveal her Brexit plans – because it would also mean backing her timetable for triggering Article 50.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7460531.html
Presumably they don't represent heavily leave-voting constituencies. Having that on your voting record could be considered electoral suicide come 2020.
Old 07-12-2016, 13:32   #3082
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Presumably they don't represent heavily leave-voting constituencies. Having that on your voting record could be considered electoral suicide come 2020.
I believe they're all London MPs so shouldn't harm their re-election chances but won't enamour them to Jeremy Corbyn.
Old 07-12-2016, 19:33   #3083
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Motion passed easily. http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12...-50-end-march/

Quote:
461 MPs have just voted for Theresa May to invoke Article 50 by the end of March. The Tory amendment to Labour’s opposition day motion passed comfortably with only 89 MPs opposing it—and Ken Clarke the only Tory amongst them with 20-odd Labour Mps joining the SNP and the Lib Dems in voting against.
There is never any threat of Brexit being overturned by Parliament. Look how comfortable that majority is. May should just allow a vote on Article 50 and recognise the importance of Parliament.
Old 08-12-2016, 00:04   #3084
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Yep, when I'm playing a high stakes game of poker I always show my cards to the audience so that they can discuss my hand within earshot of the other players
That's interesting but not particularly relevant here. The EU knows the cards that we hold; all the information about imports, exports, payments to the EU, EU nationals working in the UK, British soldiers deployed in Eastern Europe etc; it's all there in the public domain.
We know the EU needs time to get decisions from its 27 members so I cannot see the big deal in revealing what the UK Government wants, especially when the clock is ticking against us. I fear it's just been stalling by the UK Government whilst it seeks to get its own internal consensus and get a plan together. Why else wait so long?

---------- Post added at 00:04 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

Quote:
Motion passed easily. http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/12...-50-end-march/

There is never any threat of Brexit being overturned by Parliament. Look how comfortable that majority is. May should just allow a vote on Article 50 and recognise the importance of Parliament.
Agreed. May's a politician's politician but has strong tendencies to over-control things. I think that's why this lamentable situation has arisen when she could simply have put it to a vote in Parliament and won it hands-down.

Last edited by 1andrew1; 08-12-2016 at 00:12.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:30   #3085
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I think once we start the process of article 50 come the end of the 2 years I think it would be extended if nothing is final. lets face it it's in the best interests for everyone to get it right as it could bring the EU crashing down if its all done wrong
Old 08-12-2016, 08:11   #3086
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The only potential problem is that either desirable outcome of the two year period (deal or extension) requires unanimous agreement. If the assembly of the walloons or whatever they are decide to dig their heels in, then no deal is possible and equally no agreement to extend negotiations is possible either. In those circumstances the U.K. automatically leaves the EU after the two years with no treaty governing its future relationship with the bloc. Trade in and out of the bloc is organised by default on WTO rules and tariffs.

Having said that, many don't see that as a major problem...
Old 08-12-2016, 08:57   #3087
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

When we buy items or services from America how is that treated? Obviously if I buy a subscription to dropbox I guess that's considered a transaction that took place in the US so how do they govern the rest of it?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:55   #3088
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
When we buy items or services from America how is that treated? Obviously if I buy a subscription to dropbox I guess that's considered a transaction that took place in the US so how do they govern the rest of it?
I think it's now considered a purchase in the country of the purchase, at least for VAT purposes. And some of the US companies like Airbnb and LinkedIn now operate through European subsidiaries.

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The only potential problem is that either desirable outcome of the two year period (deal or extension) requires unanimous agreement. If the assembly of the walloons or whatever they are decide to dig their heels in, then no deal is possible and equally no agreement to extend negotiations is possible either. In those circumstances the U.K. automatically leaves the EU after the two years with no treaty governing its future relationship with the bloc. Trade in and out of the bloc is organised by default on WTO rules and tariffs.

Having said that, many don't see that as a major problem...
Many Conservative politicians may not but most businesses do.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I think once we start the process of article 50 come the end of the 2 years I think it would be extended if nothing is final. lets face it it's in the best interests for everyone to get it right as it could bring the EU crashing down if its all done wrong
I agree. Although I doubt it would bring the EU crashing down, it wouldn't do it any favours either.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:42   #3089
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
That's interesting but not particularly relevant here. The EU knows the cards that we hold; all the information about imports, exports, payments to the EU, EU nationals working in the UK, British soldiers deployed in Eastern Europe etc; it's all there in the public domain.
We know the EU needs time to get decisions from its 27 members so I cannot see the big deal in revealing what the UK Government wants
We'll have to agree to disagree on that point
Old 08-12-2016, 11:54   #3090
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I agree. Although I doubt it would bring the EU crashing down, it wouldn't do it any favours either.
Just look at what is happening and what could potentially happen once we leave.

Greece is set to need yet another Bailout, to what end does the EU, having to keep doing this? Of course it's other EU Countries which are not protected from the arrangement the UK had agreed on last year for Eurozone bailouts, thank god we did not join the Euro.

So such countries in the Eurozone, will be expected to foot the bill, rich nations expected to cough up all the time and help out AGAIN, this what I mean about ALL having to pay their fair share for membership and they, Greece, are not doing, and some just expect handout after handout and ride the gravy train, it cannot continue any more and in two years, we will be out of this unbalanced financial system, that is on track to implode on itself and people want to remain in this corrupted, weaved web of financial mess. No thanks.
Closed Thread