Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Project Lightning Silence...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Charge your cars on VMs Network

Old 28-01-2019, 11:46   #1
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Charge your cars on VMs Network

I kid you not.

(Paywall)

https://www.ft.com/content/7f98ab48-...6-46fc3ad87c65
Old 28-01-2019, 15:08   #2
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Charge your cars on VMs Network

Non-paywall link
Quote:
Liberty Global will test how its Virgin Media street cabinets, fibre and subterranean duct network could be used to embed charging points in residential streets. The cabinets are already powered and could be used to roll out thousands of charging points across the country. Deutsche Telekom has already tapped into its street furniture in Germany after announcing plans last year to convert 12,000 cabinets into charging stations.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 19:10   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Probably only trickle charge at peak times.
Old 28-01-2019, 21:41   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Do cabinets really have the kind of high capacity power supply to them that would allow this, and still power the cabinet ? Seems a bit unlikely to me.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 22:56   #5
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Do cabinets really have the kind of high capacity power supply to them that would allow this, and still power the cabinet ? Seems a bit unlikely to me.
Unlikely to you, but they do and it works and has been proven to do so.

The question, and only question, is if it’s commercially viable.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:37   #6
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

In our area the powered cabinets are every 500 metres or so, & run a load of slave cabinets with no mains.

This will also make any powered cabinet a magnet for car parking. Thankfully our street cab is not mains powered, as it is right adjacent to our driveway.

Conversion of streetlighting columns to charge points is a far better option.

It is also to be seen what the health & safety brigade will make of cables trailling across footpaths & sidewalks to get to these charge points.

Last edited by nodrogd; 01-02-2019 at 12:41.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:51   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
This will also make any powered cabinet a magnet for car parking. Thankfully our street cab is not mains powered, as it is right adjacent to our driveway.
I suppose it depends how it's done. It could be that it's simpler to use the cabinet supply as the source and spread out the charging points along the road via the cable ducts.

Doing that is cheaper that running whole new supplies by digging down to the electrical cables and starting from there.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Conversion of streetlighting columns to charge points is a far better option.
I wonder if the move to LED lighting would be an issue there as the supplies to the poles may be lower rated than is needed for cars.
Old 01-02-2019, 13:12   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I suppose it depends how it's done. It could be that it's simpler to use the cabinet supply as the source and spread out the charging points along the road via the cable ducts.
I think this must be what is being proposed. You couldn't actually connect the car directly to the cabinet, because it would mean either trailing cables across the pavement or parking on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I wonder if the move to LED lighting would be an issue there as the supplies to the poles may be lower rated than is needed for cars.
On the other hand, it could mean there is more spare capacity.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 14:58   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I've seen the guage of cabling to lamp posts when ours were being upgraded. It's pretty low current being about the diameter of a Biro. Of course it can be upsized if needed but that also means digging up the paths.
Old 02-02-2019, 22:17   #10
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Charging is 100% usless in my street, we don't have guaranteed parking, we only two street lights.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:55   #11
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

It is potentially a good use for their existing infrastructure, and potentially a good source of income (even if it's free initially, I shouldn't think for a second it's going to stay free).

That said, while battery technology is better than it was a few years ago, I think people will have to change their attitude toward powering the car.

With a fossil fuel car, you can go into the fuel station with almost no fuel, and have a full tank in a few minutes. That's not feasible with current battery technology, and I don't think it's going to be feasible for a long time. Electric cars apparently work best if you fully charge them over night, then use chargers outside the house to top up the charge, if necessary.

Even Tesla seem to have given up the fight to give electric cars a full charge quickly, and seem to have switched tactics so they are putting superchargers in places where there are things to do, so people won't mind hanging round for hours while the car charges, rather than building service stations all over the country where they swap your empty battery for a fully charged one.

Reading this post again, it appears I am quite anti electric cars. I am not. One of my neighbours has a Tesla Model S, and I think it's an amazing car. I would buy one tomorrow if I could afford it, and I could drive. And yes, my neighbour does charge it overnight, ready for work in the morning, then top up the charge if and when needed.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 17:08   #12
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It is potentially a good use for their existing infrastructure, and potentially a good source of income (even if it's free initially, I shouldn't think for a second it's going to stay free).

That said, while battery technology is better than it was a few years ago, I think people will have to change their attitude toward powering the car.

With a fossil fuel car, you can go into the fuel station with almost no fuel, and have a full tank in a few minutes. That's not feasible with current battery technology, and I don't think it's going to be feasible for a long time. Electric cars apparently work best if you fully charge them over night, then use chargers outside the house to top up the charge, if necessary.

Even Tesla seem to have given up the fight to give electric cars a full charge quickly, and seem to have switched tactics so they are putting superchargers in places where there are things to do, so people won't mind hanging round for hours while the car charges, rather than building service stations all over the country where they swap your empty battery for a fully charged one.

Reading this post again, it appears I am quite anti electric cars. I am not. One of my neighbours has a Tesla Model S, and I think it's an amazing car. I would buy one tomorrow if I could afford it, and I could drive. And yes, my neighbour does charge it overnight, ready for work in the morning, then top up the charge if and when needed.
I suspect that most people will do as they do with their mobile phones and leave their electric car to charge overnight.

I intend to get one when they become self driving (no idea when this will happen though) as i'm not allowed to drive for medical reasons.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 17:19   #13
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Big assumption there. I would suggest, at least, initially, if not for ever, you will need a valid driver’s licence to ‘drive’ a driverless car. Presumably you would need to be able to drive the car manually should the need arise, for whatever reason.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 17:45   #14
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Big assumption there. I would suggest, at least, initially, if not for ever, you will need a valid driver’s licence to ‘drive’ a driverless car. Presumably you would need to be able to drive the car manually should the need arise, for whatever reason.
That's a good point actually. I've also heard some people say that driverless cars would enable them to safely drink and 'drive', but this may not be allowed for the same reasons that you outlined above.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 19:44   #15
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I suspect that most people will do as they do with their mobile phones and leave their electric car to charge overnight.

I intend to get one when they become self driving (no idea when this will happen though) as i'm not allowed to drive for medical reasons.
Hey, me too!

I think fully-autonomous self-driving cars are a ways off but as pointed out, there's a lot of legal gubbins to sort out with regards to safety and whether or not a qualified legal "driver" needs to be present. They are designing cars without steering wheels so it's definitely on someone's radar, but it remains to be seen how regulation turns out.

All that being said, I suspect self-driving cars will be more like subscription taxi services than a vehicle you just buy outright.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote