Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future for linear TV channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

The future for linear TV channels

Old 06-01-2017, 14:35   #1066
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: The future for linear TV channels

15 mins of ads per hour! There would be a lot more if we went the US model. Just look at the pauses in programming were we don't see ad's but those across the pond will likely do so. And probably already is, look at length of programme when watching on-demand and think the rest of the hour slot we use would be ads.

I'd like to see advertising limited to 10 mins at most per hour with a minimum period of programme between ad breaks and a max duration of any ad break.
Old 06-01-2017, 14:56   #1067
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
15 mins of ads per hour! There would be a lot more if we went the US model. Just look at the pauses in programming were we don't see ad's but those across the pond will likely do so. And probably already is, look at length of programme when watching on-demand and think the rest of the hour slot we use would be ads.

I'd like to see advertising limited to 10 mins at most per hour with a minimum period of programme between ad breaks and a max duration of any ad break.

The fact that the US advertise differently makes no difference to US shows shown in the UK as both countries use a 1 hour programme grid. A US '1 hour' show runs for typically 42 minutes. The remaining 18 minutes are filled with adds and show promos, in either the US or UK.
I guess a UK add funded main channel shows run for typically 48 to 50 minutes?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 15:09   #1068
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The fact that the US advertise differently makes no difference to US shows shown in the UK as both countries use a 1 hour programme grid. A US '1 hour' show runs for typically 42 minutes. The remaining 18 minutes are filled with adds and show promos, in either the US or UK.
I guess a UK add funded main channel shows run for typically 48 to 50 minutes?
Out of curiosity a few years ago I timed the shows on ITV, generally there were three commercial breaks at about 20 minute intervals and each slot ran 3m20s so the actual show ran 50 minutes. I don't suppose it's changed that much.
Old 06-01-2017, 15:46   #1069
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post

There is a average of 6 ad breaks per hour on US tv however the US ad breaks are shorter than the uk for example a average uk ad break is 3 minutes and you get 3 per hour, a USA tv ad break is 90 seconds you get 6 per hour this still equals the same ammount of ad time as UK.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:31   #1070
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
There is a average of 6 ad breaks per hour on US tv however the US ad breaks are shorter than the uk for example a average uk ad break is 3 minutes and you get 3 per hour, a USA tv ad break is 90 seconds you get 6 per hour this still equals the same ammount of ad time as UK.
Then why is it that US TV programmes which have an hour slot tend to only be 41-43 minutes long when the ads are removed?

Having visited quite a few States in the last few years, I can definitely state the ads take up more than 9 minutes per hour.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 19:40   #1071
Jacquesb
cf.addict

Services: VM phone , 2xV6 (Full house XL), ViViD200 Optical fibre BB. Stream - Netflix, iPlayer,
Jacquesb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogodon View Post
In the 80s/90s I'd bootleg gigs, trade music tapes & VHS movies. In the 90s/00s I downloaded music and tv/films. Now I can stream what I want when I want it, on Spotify, Amazon, Netflix and Virgin/Sky catchup (when it works!). I rarely watch linear TV but then I never really did, it's just easier (legal) to do it now.

There's still a place for linear TV, live sports, news etc, but I find myself time shifting programmes more often than not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Well Said.
I'll second (or is it 3rd) that !!
Old 06-01-2017, 20:03   #1072
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

That's the reason why we record a lot of shows, we just skip past the ads.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:44   #1073
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Then why is it that US TV programmes which have an hour slot tend to only be 41-43 minutes long when the ads are removed?

Having visited quite a few States in the last few years, I can definitely state the ads take up more than 9 minutes per hour.
Having watched tv via online ustv providers the ads work out about the same as uk tv when totalled up, not saying all the time but on average it does.
However ABC and FOX ads are certainly longer, but the rest seem to average about the same as UK when totted up.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:07   #1074
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...the-beginning/

What this says to me is that the global operators such as Netflix and Amazon will suck up a lot of the available content, leaving the terrestrial channels with little but their own content and 'well worn' older material and the less populat dregs of new material to offer their viewers.

Sadly, this points to more exclusivity of much wanted content, meaning we will still have to take out multiple subscriptions to view the programmes we want to see.

The article also implies to me that the terrestrials are going to have to up their game considerably in order to survive. I think the BBC and Channel 4 are well placed to take on this challenge. Not quite sure how ITV will fare, but it does seem to be heading in the right direction now.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 13-01-2017 at 10:38.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:45   #1075
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

When watching recorded US shows the ad breaks tend to be around 5 mins, sometimes longer, occasionally on "dead of night" showings much shorter, some times no ad at all just fade out, programme screen, fade out, programme screen, fade out programme returns. That 5 mins may contain previews but that's just another sort of ad really.

So the programme can fit into 50 min slots and since the topic is loss of linear programming because everyone streams or watches the recording not working on a 60 min grid is fine.
Old 13-01-2017, 10:50   #1076
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Isn't it especially in the case of the BBC their own content what people are mainly interested in anyway ?

The bulk of the BBC's spend goes on original content.

Last edited by muppetman11; 13-01-2017 at 10:58.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 10:57   #1077
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Isn't it especially in the case of the BBC their own content want people are mainly interested in anyway ?

The bulk of the BBC's spend goes on original content anyway.
It does, which is why I think that the BBC is best placed of all the terrestrials to succeed in the new media world.

The link below shows how the BBC is moving forward with its on demand strategy. They do appear to be wanting to actively encourage people to move from conventional linear channel viewing to streaming.

Incidentally, I am now convinced that Channel 5 is in danger of disappearing completely in this new world.

http://www.rapidtvnews.com/201701124...#axzz4VdLi99a2
Old 13-01-2017, 12:48   #1078
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

OB why just Netflix and Amazon there are other huge players ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 13:58   #1079
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
OB why just Netflix and Amazon there are other huge players ?
I gave Netflix and Amazon as examples, MM. They are certainly the main players with global clout in the UK for the time being, but obviously things may change over time. I fully expect HBO to make its presence felt in the UK before much longer.
Old 13-01-2017, 14:11   #1080
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Incidentally, I am now convinced that Channel 5 is in danger of disappearing completely in this new world.
Here's hoping!