Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 16:35   #721
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhormUKtechteam View Post
Hi all
I work on behalf of Phorm here in the UK. Many of you may already have seen it but of not there is a transcript of last nights live interview with Phorm's CEO at http://www.webwise.com/chat as well as a Q&A session at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rgess_ertegrul
Rgds
PhormUktechteam
if this is a geniune employer and not some joker.

You can stick your PHORM where the sun dont shine.

You must be desperate for a job to work for bunch of crooks.

Toto

Hi comrade
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2008, 16:42   #722
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Looks as if the Beeb got around to getting some answers too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7283333.stm
Old 07-03-2008, 16:47   #723
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hi all
I work on behalf of Phorm here in the UK. Many of you may already have seen it but of not there is a transcript of last nights live interview with Phorm's CEO at http://www.webwise.com/chat as well as a Q&A session at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rgess_ertegrul
Rgds
PhormUktechteam
So who is this then?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/42837.html
Old 07-03-2008, 17:13   #724
PhormUKPRteam
Inactive

PhormUKPRteam is an unknown quantity at this point

There are two of us working through all of the forums and threads - sometimes a little cross over occurs.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:14   #725
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
who knows have we got a new pest a PHORM lurker.

Be honest we have absolute no guarantees that PHORM wont put maliscious hidden code into its advertisements.

When you hear news and stories Memory trick breaks PC encryption.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7275407.stm

the last thing you need is company like PHORM allowed legally to infest your machine.

Even if PHORM has become all angelic, Hackers could use their system to help hack.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:19   #726
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
There are two of us working through all of the forums and threads - sometimes a little cross over occurs.
When you say on behalf - do you really mean from an external company employed to be here?
Old 07-03-2008, 17:24   #727
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
if this is a geniune employer and not some joker.

You can stick your PHORM where the sun dont shine.

You must be desperate for a job to work for bunch of crooks.

Toto

Hi comrade
Whether you or I agree with this system is one thing but I will not tolerate rude posts like this.

I have asked for sensible and amicable posts when conducting questions or replies in this thread - any more posts like this will be deleted.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:26   #728
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
When you say on behalf - do you really mean from an external company employed to be here?
likely as SKY & Microsoft use this practice to spread rubbish/fear. Just example first to gain users trust and then say virgin overcharged me and wont accept its there fault or my ps3 just collapsed and SONY wont repair it. Just a couple o f things which can happen.

Im on a ps3 forum it happens there its should be made illegal. There is people on forums employed to basically stir it up.

All part of viral marketing.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:35   #729
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?10
Quote:
Dephormation.org.uk: If I use a web mail or forum application, like HotMail, Slashdot, Yahoo Groups, or Virgin Webmail, will Phorm be able to see/use the contents of the emails/messages I read?

MBurgess: No, we don't analyse the content of webmail sites.
How - through a whitelist again?
Old 07-03-2008, 17:46   #730
PhormUKPRteam
Inactive

PhormUKPRteam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mick
To be clear, yes I work for an external agency for Phorm - a UK PR agency. My job is solely to take the information Phorm is making available - the interviews, the Q&As etc and place them into these discussions. I believe I am totally open about this - my log in name is pretty clear, and the first line of my introduction clearly states who I work for. It is my job to simply present the facts about Phorm.
Old 07-03-2008, 17:55   #731
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav View Post
Looks as if the Beeb got around to getting some answers too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7283333.stm
Yeah the Phorm PR boys are doing the rounds on most of the tech sites. Most of the replies they give contain generic answers that have been cut n paste from other replies given elsewhere. A simple damage limitation exercise imo.

Now, lets just recap,
A member of the Phorm tech team came on this board yesterday and categorically stated that “If you are not part of the system ie opted out no data will be processed by phorm. I really hope that's clear.”
Clear indeed, although deliberately misleading. Why? Well because although no data is processed, it does still pass through Phorm (as I suspected all along).

Consider this quote here from their CEO Kent Ertegrul - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rul/page3.html
Quote:
Published Friday 7th March 2008 10:45 GMT

So if I'm opted out, data passes straight between me and the website I'm visiting? It doesn't enter Phorm's systems at all?

MB: What happens is that the data is still mirrored to the profiler but the data digest is never made and the rest of the chain never occurs. It ought to be said that the profiler is operated by the ISP, not us.
So there you have it, data is still mirrored onto a profiler, opting out is irrelevant as to whether data passes though the Phorm system, as clearly it does, no matter what. There is no real opt out other than switching to a Phorm-Free ISP.

In that same interview Kent Ertegrul keeps banging on about how bad google is, but see thing is, I can choose not to use google if I so want. With Phorm there is no REAL choice. Data still passes through the Phorm system.

I’m more angry now after reading that interview than I was before.
Old 07-03-2008, 18:15   #732
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks Mick
To be clear, yes I work for an external agency for Phorm - a UK PR agency. My job is solely to take the information Phorm is making available - the interviews, the Q&As etc and place them into these discussions. I believe I am totally open about this - my log in name is pretty clear, and the first line of my introduction clearly states who I work for. It is my job to simply present the facts about Phorm.
So why is PHORM NOT alleviating concerns. Even your CEO like a dodgy politician in those Q&A's.

There is many good questions on here and even those by the media NOT been clearly answered. So why are you here if our questions are not been answered.

Its clear there is something extremely dodgy why we going to have hidden adverts you cant see. Why is this even there.

why is the system opt out rather than opt in. Why should we have to eben touch webwise (which I feel is rouse) to just pick up a cookie.

Why is it at all a flimsy cookie based system to OPT out a system which can be easily deleted by hidden code by PHORM.

Like I said there far better system to make sure PHORM is truelly opt out ONE use people mac address held by ISP which all there data will be witheld to be passed to PHORM.

Another a program installed on our machine which PHORM would be told to look to see if its active. This being provided by ISP to block PHORM if installed.

What guarantees are there about malicious piggy back coding either from PHORM or hackers.

Ultimately can we guarantee our banking and online purchasing is safe from PHORM.
Old 07-03-2008, 18:18   #733
gaz1
Inactive

gaz1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
Yeah the Phorm PR boys are doing the rounds on most of the tech sites. Most of the replies they give contain generic answers that have been cut n paste from other replies given elsewhere. A simple damage limitation exercise imo.

Now, lets just recap,
A member of the Phorm tech team came on this board yesterday and categorically stated that “If you are not part of the system ie opted out no data will be processed by phorm. I really hope that's clear.”
Clear indeed, although deliberately misleading. Why? Well because although no data is processed, it does still pass through Phorm (as I suspected all along).

Consider this quote here from their CEO Kent Ertegrul - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rul/page3.html

So there you have it, data is still mirrored onto a profiler, opting out is irrelevant as to whether data passes though the Phorm system, as clearly it does, no matter what. There is no real opt out other than switching to a Phorm-Free ISP.

In that same interview Kent Ertegrul keeps banging on about how bad google is, but see thing is, I can choose not to use google if I so want. With Phorm there is no REAL choice. Data still passes through the Phorm system.

I’m more angry now after reading that interview than I was before.
this is how i see it and what i want is no connection in wires to the phorm reader as i read it to be done

? for phorm why wont you supply a drawing diagram of how you connect to the suppliers isp connection

p.s virgin cable supervisors do know of this forum and have been reading it today and yesterday as i forwarded this address to em probably like countless others
theres 2 ways i can go from here either end contract with virgin media once phorm is started up or walk into a court room and under data protection act force virgin media to disconnect phorm from any connection of mine
Old 07-03-2008, 18:44   #734
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Thanks Mick
I found a connection on another forum he works for this company http://www.citigatedr.co.uk/home-en.html
Old 07-03-2008, 18:46   #735
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It is my job to simply present the facts about Phorm.
If you're here to present the facts - then why is the information provided by techteam different to that presented by the CEO?

What is EXACTLY the relationship between Privacy International and Phorm.

Do they have anything at all to say about your product as stated by the CEO of Phorm?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34502219-post702.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by techteam
and to be doubly doubly clear: Simon Davies as a privacy consultant conducted the PIA wearing his 80/20 hat and with his fellow colleague at the LSE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO
KentErtugrul: I believe that given the chance to fully understand our technology, Professor Anderson will reach the same conclusion as Privacy International, Ernst and Young and any number of key privacy stakeholders,
Closed Thread