Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 10 meg what download speed should i get

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Is Modem DNS Name Per IP or Per Account?

Old 12-05-2006, 22:03   #1
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them
Is Modem DNS Name Per IP or Per Account?

Is the DNS name for an NTL cable connection tied to the IP address or
a specific custoner account ?

cpc2-lewi5-0-0-cust<nnn>.bmly.cable.ntl.com

It looks like customer but you never know!

If it is tied to the customer that would allow me to easily track when my IP is changed & update the DNS for my personal domain. (Until I find ISP with fixed IP).

Might even be able to point my MX record right at it??

Lordy
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2006, 22:14   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Is Modem DNS Name Per IP or Per Account?

It is the reverse dns of the IP address, not related to any account.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 22:27   #3
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks, I know its the reverse lookup of the IP, but I was hoping the IP and the reverse lookup was updated when DHCP doles out the IP address to a particular modem (ie DHCP updates DNS) , rather than NTL using a static list (which admittedly is what most IPs do!)

Eg from grc.com (not my favourite site but it may help to hear what I'm asking for in different words!)

"The string of text above is known as your Internet connection's "reverse DNS." The end of the string is probably a domain name related to your ISP. This will be common to all customers of this ISP. But the beginning of the string uniquely identifies your Internet connection. The question is: Is the beginning of the string an "account ID" that is uniquely and permanently tied to you, or is it merely related to your current public IP address and thus subject to change?"

Most fixed revers lookups that I've seen, contain the IP adress backwards ie 231_43_45_87-ntl-bromley.blah.net

Looks like NTL have gone for an 'unconventional' approach, if its permanently tied to the IP

Just odd that it contains 'cust<nnn>' ??

Just tried nslookup on a few cust<nnn> in sequence, and the IP did indeed go up in sequence, so I'll be quiet now!! I could have tried that before asking!!!

Thanks again!

Old 12-05-2006, 22:38   #4
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy
Is the DNS name for an NTL cable connection tied to the IP address or
a specific custoner account ?

cpc2-lewi5-0-0-cust<nnn>.bmly.cable.ntl.com

It looks like customer but you never know!

If it is tied to the customer that would allow me to easily track when my IP is changed & update the DNS for my personal domain. (Until I find ISP with fixed IP).

Might even be able to point my MX record right at it??

Lordy
whats wrong with dynamic IP services such as dyndns.com which offer services ffrom 0.00.

My Linksys router supports this and allow s me to ping / tracert my connection remotely even if the IP changes (and there are plently of PC clients etc)
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 22:43   #5
lordy
Inactive

Yup. I'm gonna try one of those soon Any obvious differences bet dydns and no-ip.com?
Old 12-05-2006, 23:06   #6
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy
Yup. I'm gonna try one of those soon Any obvious differences bet dydns and no-ip.com?
My router doesn't support no-ip! Only problem I have with dyndns.com is that my ntl IP rarely changes and the router update at least every 25 days doesn't work, and dyndns delete the free account if you don't update once a month . I have a windows script I used to use for dyndns (before I had a router that supported it) which I used to run once a day, but can't use both as unnecessary updates are regarded as 'abusive' too may of these and your account gets blocked!
mmm is offline   Reply With Quote