Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Service Problems - signal levels?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Free double speed rolled out in my area

Old 18-04-2012, 04:16   #1
geordiechris
cf.addict

geordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to beholdgeordiechris is a splendid one to behold
Free double speed rolled out in my area

Hi guys,

VM have tonight rolled out the double speed from 50Mb to 100Mb in my postcode area however my upoad speed has remained the same at 5Mb. Are they only doubling the download speed?
geordiechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2012, 04:58   #2
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold
Re: Free double speed rolled out in my area

Both ... the upload should follow the next coming weeks
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 11:12   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

that's interesting, you are the first person I have seen who has waited for the upgrade and afaik they only upgrade you when they have completed the capacity upgrades in your area so you should be 10:1. Give them a ring and ask them when you are getting it because I am curious to know. The only people who have been 10:0.5 are the on-demand retiers because they have been upgraded prior to the physical work being done.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 11:17   #4
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

as far as I understand if the upload speed isnt doubled then the rollout isnt officially done in the area, lots on here have the new configs for higher download speeds but they have it early due to VM dishing them out for retention reasons.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 11:23   #5
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I don't believe the whole of Newcastle has been done, few people i've spoke to are still on 50Meg
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 12:19   #6
babis3g
Inactive

Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD >Phone M
babis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to beholdbabis3g is a splendid one to behold

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...eds/m-p/958425

Will my upload speed increase, as well?

Yes! It’s not just your downloads that’ll become much faster. Your upload speeds will be automatically increased as we upgrade our network, so you get the best of both worlds.

Depending on the progress of the network upgrade there maybe a delay after your download speed is increased before your upload speed boost occurs.

I’m an existing customer. If I change my package, will I get a second speed boost for free?

If you upgrade your broadband speed before we give you the speed boost, then yes we’ll give you the new speeds on top when your area is ready.
babis3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:19   #7
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

My service has been upgraded today too. I live near Linlithgow, about 20 miles outside Edinburgh.

Usain Bolt told me my upgrade would be between April and June
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:24   #8
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Mine isn't upgraded yet. I'm in Hemel Hempstead. Usain told me it'd be March-April. Only a few days of April left!
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 15:28   #9
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavChap View Post
Mine isn't upgraded yet. I'm in Hemel Hempstead. Usain told me it'd be March-April. Only a few days of April left!
Same here in Essex due March /April. Up speed now 60mb after receiving a Superhub, but down is 2.90 mb.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 16:18   #10
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am starting to get jealous now. I am wondering if my area has been upgraded because we are April-June as well. Unfortunately I have no way of telling because I am already on 100mbit and as I am using a vmng300 I have no way of seeing if extra channels have been added. Makes no difference to me either way though because I still get full speed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 16:21   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

I got extra channels today the signs were.

1 - first the outage
2 - my first channel changed to a frequency I only see in upgraded areas and wasnt previously used.

of course I cant see how many extra channels there is as I am using 3 of the old ones plus a new one.

In my view the US hasnt had anything done to it tho and I am already seeing old jitter levels coming back, but max download speeds still holding out.

looking at 2pm on my graph a 100mbiter probably recconected his torrent.
Old 18-04-2012, 16:26   #12
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Same here in Essex due March /April. Up speed now 60mb after receiving a Superhub, but down is 2.90 mb.
My Downstream is still 30Mbit, my US is still 3Mb... I'm on XL. Who knows when I'll get upgraded. My IP address has changed 3 times in the past week though, and there was an outage, so I think they've been doing the upgrades.
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 18:50   #13
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

my speeds still max after these channels were added even with a now dodgy looking tbb graph.

Now awaiting some US upgrades :p
Old 18-04-2012, 19:03   #14
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I still have 4 down stream and 1 up stream. Still there is another week or so until the end of April.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 19:41   #15
Rockstar6662
Inactive

Services: TV : VM XL BB : VM 20Mb
Rockstar6662 is an unknown quantity at this point

The website says I've been upgraded today to 20mb but despite a reboot my download speed hasn't actually changed and when I log on to the modem it says I'm still on 10mb.

I'm still using an ntl 250 modem which works fine with 20mb as I used to be on that and the online test in the green box says it should be fine. Do I need to wait longer, could there be a problem?
Rockstar6662 is offline   Reply With Quote