Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nightmare

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Nightmare

Old 16-04-2011, 18:29   #16
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybessant View Post
Thanks martyh -

Excellent Small Gods quote btw;

am afraid there is no embellishment to my story - 'tis a tale of woe unvarnished by any prose of my making - as for the engineer who started the ball rolling through the pinball game of broken promises and awful customer service - this perhaps explains his ethos;

"There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do."

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)
Ah ..a TP connesuir

actually i thought this one for the mapgroup management

"It could not be happening because this sort of thing did not happen. Any contradictory evidence could be safely ignored"

Terry Pratchet ...jingo
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2011, 14:03   #17
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

I seriously feel for the OP.

I have hit several water pipes in my time and i have found that my attitude and how i deal with people on the day can go along way in stopping a bad situation becoming a nightmare.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 17:44   #18
raybessant
Inactive

raybessant is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very true - the reaction - or even non reaction and the way in which the engineeer spoke to my wife was unbelievable - and when he told us we wouldn't be compensated I THINK MY WIFE NEARLY HAD A HEART ATTACK !
raybessant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 18:05   #19
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

This is really a dreadful thing to happen. maybe The Sunday Post would have sorted it out quicker. The once sorted out my holiday insurance within a week of writing to them after waiting months for my money back. Good luck .
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 09:33   #20
raybessant
Inactive

The Sunday Post might have - the Virgin media complaints team might well have sounded the Last Post because my complaint seems to have died many times - I keep resurrecting it though - I think they just hope I'll go away - but forgiving and forgetting are a long way off for me and my family I'm afraid.
Old 19-04-2011, 15:48   #21
raybessant
Inactive

Hello again,

It is now day 25 since Virgin flooded and ruined my floor - still we have no access to a washing machine and we continue to trip on the damaged floor - Virgin/Mapgroup's insurers have a second set of estimates(remarkably similar to the 1st set but the prices have gone up for flooring by £1 per metre - they could have saved that if they had been more prompt methinks.
I await with bated breath their decision to give the go ahead and send payment for repairs(may need new lungs after this nightmare ends - if it ever does)

Regards,

Ray
Old 19-04-2011, 16:35   #22
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Hi Ray
Hope this does not go on much longer for you, Just awful,
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 17:14   #23
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Hello again,

It is now day 25 since Virgin flooded and ruined my floor - still we have no access to a washing machine and we continue to trip on the damaged floor - Virgin/Mapgroup's insurers have a second set of estimates(remarkably similar to the 1st set but the prices have gone up for flooring by £1 per metre - they could have saved that if they had been more prompt methinks.
I await with bated breath their decision to give the go ahead and send payment for repairs(may need new lungs after this nightmare ends - if it ever does)

Regards,

Ray
as you have mentioned your house has copper pipes, so the installer has no 'get out' clause, you should also claim a months "rent", i know you own the house, but you have mentioned you havent moved in because of the damage, are you paying rent somewhere else, or living with a friend, if so, you are entitled to some damages (not sure exactly how much)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 17:29   #24
raybessant
Inactive

Hello Craig,

we had to pay our previous landlord for another month as we were renting temporarily even though we moved in a week later or so because we couldn't live with half our furniture and tv's pc's etc between two houses - our landlord would only accept a full month - but Mapgroup paid for the rent as an interim payment then never followed it up by funding the repairs despite promising to verbally and in an e mail -

Regards,

Ray
Old 20-04-2011, 19:28   #25
beeman
Kiss My Stinger

Services: Virgin VIP package, FREEVIEW
beeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to beholdbeeman is a splendid one to behold

I know its too late to help you but advise for the future (or anyone else whos experenced something simmilar). As soon as something like this happens (after doing the emergency repairs (ie stop the water pooring out) ) the FIRST thing you should do is contact your home insurance provider. Typically they will authorise any work thats needed fairly quickly (as there not going to bee paying there usually quick at this). Then they will claim the money back from the traidsman's insurance (though the courts if nessary), with the ONLY cost to you being the initial exess (which you can claim back once your insurance company has settled the claim with the sub-contractor).

Just like if you have a car accident thats not your fault. You dont goto the party at fault for your repairs, you contact YOUR insurance company who then chases up the "at fault" policy holder on your behalf.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 23:00   #26
raybessant
Inactive

Hello,

I would have gone straight to my home insurer if Mapgroup (Virgin's contractor)had not convinced me that they would pay up front for repairs and given me an interim payment with the promise of the rest to follow - yes I made mistakes - but in good faith and boy have I learned my lesson.

Regards,

Ray
Old 20-04-2011, 23:08   #27
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman View Post
I know its too late to help you but advise for the future (or anyone else whos experenced something simmilar). As soon as something like this happens (after doing the emergency repairs (ie stop the water pooring out) ) the FIRST thing you should do is contact your home insurance provider. Typically they will authorise any work thats needed fairly quickly (as there not going to bee paying there usually quick at this). Then they will claim the money back from the traidsman's insurance (though the courts if nessary), with the ONLY cost to you being the initial exess (which you can claim back once your insurance company has settled the claim with the sub-contractor).

Just like if you have a car accident thats not your fault. You dont goto the party at fault for your repairs, you contact YOUR insurance company who then chases up the "at fault" policy holder on your behalf.
good advice ,let the insurance company do the chasing they at least will have the clout to force contractors into action

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Hello,

I would have gone straight to my home insurer if Mapgroup (Virgin's contractor)had not convinced me that they would pay up front for repairs and given me an interim payment with the promise of the rest to follow - yes I made mistakes - but in good faith and boy have I learned my lesson.

Regards,

Ray
I think that's what most would do ,including myself if the contractor at fault had made such promises

hang in there
Old 21-04-2011, 16:09   #28
raybessant
Inactive

Hello,

we are waiting for a decision from Garwyn insurance who are supposedly dealing with Mapgroup's claim - they will not give us a time scale for this decision/payout to be made. As I have previously written - we still have no washing machine as it will not fit under the worktop due to floor lifting and warping and areas continue to threaten a trip hazard.
It is now 27 days since the Virgin engineer flooded our house and ruined our floor through negligence and it still is dominating and ruining our family's lives.Last night we were forced to tell our daughter that her upcoming 18th Birthday Party had to be cancelled because it is obviously unsuitable to have people round - she was naturally very upset.We also have not been able to have our planned Easter BBQ which was to be our Housewarming party.
We have been advised that we should not even remove the floor in preparation in case there are any insurance queries re the damage which after this amount of time our advisor - my current home insurer - says is ridiculous,they would have processed this as a claim in half the time already elapsed.

I don't know how many times I can say that I am disappointed - it's more accurate to describe myself,my family and all who have been aware of this as disgusted at our treatment - every day adds to our stress and inconvenience - delaying plans long made and denying us the opportunity to enjoy our new home which I will remind you was perfect until Virgin came along.

Regards,

Ray
Old 21-04-2011, 16:14   #29
martyh

Quote:
Hello,

we are waiting for a decision from Garwyn insurance who are supposedly dealing with Mapgroup's claim - they will not give us a time scale for this decision/payout to be made. As I have previously written - we still have no washing machine as it will not fit under the worktop due to floor lifting and warping and areas continue to threaten a trip hazard.
It is now 27 days since the Virgin engineer flooded our house and ruined our floor through negligence and it still is dominating and ruining our family's lives.Last night we were forced to tell our daughter that her upcoming 18th Birthday Party had to be cancelled because it is obviously unsuitable to have people round - she was naturally very upset.We also have not been able to have our planned Easter BBQ which was to be our Housewarming party.
We have been advised that we should not even remove the floor in preparation in case there are any insurance queries re the damage which after this amount of time our advisor - my current home insurer - says is ridiculous,they would have processed this as a claim in half the time already elapsed.

I don't know how many times I can say that I am disappointed - it's more accurate to describe myself,my family and all who have been aware of this as disgusted at our treatment - every day adds to our stress and inconvenience - delaying plans long made and denying us the opportunity to enjoy our new home which I will remind you was perfect until Virgin came along.

Regards,

Ray
I personally would be tempted to forward the above post to the VM ceo's office and see what they have to say
Old 21-04-2011, 16:23   #30
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I personally would be tempted to forward the above post to the VM ceo's office and see what they have to say
I would be inclined to agree!

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote