Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How much data transfer does VNC/RDS use per second?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

a quick DNS lesson

Old 12-03-2004, 15:30   #1
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society
a quick DNS lesson

Hi all need a bit of help..

using smtp on exchange 2003 mail is sent using DNS ..got 1 issue to do with PTR records so i cant send to some domains (aol for example)

basically i have no ptr record..now i roughly know what it is (to do with reverse mx record look ups) so my question is.. how do i add a PTR record for my DNS to work properly.

i have total control over my DNS locally and externally but not sure about this ptr business ...

anyone else out there know about PTR records
thanks if u can help.
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2004, 15:50   #2
KingPhoenix
Inactive

Services: Sky+ & 8mb ADSL + BT Together option 3
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
KingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze arrayKingPhoenix has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to KingPhoenix
Re: a quick DNS lesson

basically what a PTR record does is, when someone lookups up the ip address it resolves to the hostname of the server... as every mail sent has the hostname of the server in it. Basically whoever owns the rights to your IP address is the person you need to contact to have this setup...
KingPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 15:52   #3
Jon M
Inactive

Services: Rural BB - Radio Link via Virgin Fibre
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Jon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze arrayJon M has a bronze array
Send a message via MSN to Jon M

Configuring Forward Lookup Zone

1. In the DNS Manager right click your server > "New Zone".
2. click on "Primary Zone" > "Next".
3. Type in the name for your domain. That is the domain which will be used on the internet, for example domain.com.
4. Press on "TAB" > Next > Finish.

Now that you have created your "forward lookup zone", you should see 2 Records in your Zone: an NS Record, and an SOA Record.

Add a Host Record to your " Forward Lookup Zone"

Many times when you add a "Host Record, your DNS server automatically adds an "A record" on your DNS server, but, the DNS Manager does not automatically create a "PTR Record" in the "Reverse Zone". The easiest way to create it then is as follows:

1. Right click on the "A record" in your DNS server, and click "Delete Record".
2. Click "Yes", to confirm your selection.
3. Right click on your "forward zone", (Domain.com), and click "New Host".
4. Type "the Host name" on your DNS server (for example www) and the IP address.
5. Mark "Create Associated PTR Record" and then "Add Host".
6. Click "Done".

To check if your "PTR records" works, right click on "Reverse Lookup Zone 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa", and then click "Refresh".
Jon M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 16:09   #4
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

i think a possible switch to mail smart hosts may be best.

Thansk for the help i will contact my ISP about the PTR records
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote