Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK to be bankrupt by 2014

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK to be bankrupt by 2014

Old 24-09-2013, 11:22   #31
tizmeinnit

Re: UK to be bankrupt by 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Why should the state pension be means tested as people have worked bloody hard all their lives and should not have to face being means tested.
because it costs the tax payer 75 billion a year no other benefit even comes close. Leaving the state pension alone and targeting the poor is urinating in the wind and will never make enough money to make a difference

They would only be means tested if they were well off enough to handle it

State pension is 125 quid a week iirc for someone to have paid enough into it to cover £125 a week for 20 years they would have had to have had a £500 a week job all their life
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2013, 11:24   #32
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Why should the state pension be means tested as people have worked bloody hard all their lives and should not have to face being means tested.
Raise the pension age to 70. I recently started a private one and on the application they ask you what age you plan to receive it, I put 70 as it seemed the only realistic option when you project how much you'll want to retire on. Plus that will probably be the age, if not higher, by the time I retire.

That said that would increase unemployment and prevent people moving up in their careers until later. Maybe.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 11:26   #33
tizmeinnit

no other insurance policy in the world pays full dividends if the policy fails. The NI policy has failed that is why the bill is paid for out of the welfare budget

and on top of that the State pension will rise exponentially as more and more people are living longer. It is a hard fact but it is still a fact
Old 24-09-2013, 11:56   #34
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The axe will have to fall on pensions. Benefit cuts save a pittance whilst I don't see it being possible to cut the NHS.
It already is. I'm paying more, working longer and getting less at the end as are most other public sector workers. In fact the only public sector job that I know of not to be getting a kicking pensions wise is MPs.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:01   #35
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Are you turning into a prepper?
Living where I do, you do tend to learn not to take infrastructure for granted quite so much. In some ways I can see how lingering frontier attitudes in the American West have allowed survivalism to flourish over there.

But I'm not digging a bunker or stockpiling ammunition, no.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:27   #36
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
It already is. I'm paying more, working longer and getting less at the end as are most other public sector workers. In fact the only public sector job that I know of not to be getting a kicking pensions wise is MPs.
I mean the state pension more than anything.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:29   #37
tizmeinnit

Quote:
I mean the state pension more than anything.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:30   #38
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

You have to tackle the big ticket items.

start Privatising parts of the NHS. With a view to fully privatising it.

scrap public sector pensions.

state pensions should reflect what contributions you have put in. (Certain exceptions will apply obviously)

Scrap child benefit after the second child ( you want 3,4,5 kids then make sure you can afford to have them)

the NHS is the biggy, it's a monkey on the country's back.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:36   #39
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
start Privatising parts of the NHS. With a view to fully privatising it.

the NHS is the biggy, it's a monkey on the country's back.
Can't see this being a goer. It's a service the vast majority will need a few times in our life at the very least. More to the point the right to healthcare should not be dependent on your income. I don't think anyone wants a situation where someone can't get the treatment they need because they can't afford it.

Maybe we need to increase how much we pay in tax/NI for it. Or put a separate NHS tax so we can all see how much we pay for it.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:44   #40
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/20...l#post35554563
Post 31 anyone?
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 12:45   #41
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash: CF noob View Post
And it's no more or less likely now than it was then ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 13:18   #42
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Again - so what's going to happen in the next 3 months? Something big enough to 'bankrupt' the UK is unlikely to happen overnight and without someone knowing something about it already. I call BS on this story. I'm not saying I don't think the country's economy is a mess and will stay that way for years to come - in fact it's exactly what I think. But bankruptcy? Can't see it happening.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 13:37   #43
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Can't see this being a goer. It's a service the vast majority will need a few times in our life at the very least. More to the point the right to healthcare should not be dependent on your income. I don't think anyone wants a situation where someone can't get the treatment they need because they can't afford it.

Maybe we need to increase how much we pay in tax/NI for it. Or put a separate NHS tax so we can all see how much we pay for it.
106 £billion a year.

http://www.nhsconfed.org/priorities/...s.aspx#funding

There's got to be a more efficient way.

I don't think all procedures should be covered by the NHS certainly some elective treatment.

I don't know the ins and outs of the NHS, but there has to be way to reduce costs, privatise elements yet still have the service free at the point of need for the vast majority of the population.
Old 24-09-2013, 13:41   #44
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
106 £billion a year.

http://www.nhsconfed.org/priorities/...s.aspx#funding

There's got to be a more efficient way.

I don't think all procedures should be covered by the NHS certainly some elective treatment.

I don't know the ins and outs of the NHS, but there has to be way to reduce costs, privatise elements yet still have the service free at the point of need for the vast majority of the population.
so the state pension is costing nearly 3/4 of what the NHS bill is??
Old 24-09-2013, 13:52   #45
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
so the state pension is costing nearly 3/4 of what the NHS bill is??
so ?? what's your point ??