Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Has Superhub a WPS button that can blink red&blue?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub and wifi channels

Old 19-01-2013, 21:15   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Superhub and wifi channels

I am on the 30Mb L package and have a Superhub and it is set for auto channels as received.
I am getting 30Mb wired and a very good 23Mb on wireless any were in my house.
I read on the Virgin web site that using inSSIDer I can check for a non-congested wireless channel and select that channel in the Superhub settings and possibly improve the wireless speed.
Is it worth running inSSIDer to check for non congested cannels?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2013, 21:25   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Superhub and wifi channels

whats the specs of your wifi cards/adapters in laptops etc. ?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 21:40   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
whats the specs of your wifi cards/adapters in laptops etc. ?
I am running Windows 7 32 bit.
I have looked in the manual for my laptop but there is no mention.
It is a ACER Aspire 2004 vintage, Intel Pentium M 740 processor.
I did wonder if the ACER wireless was limiting my wireless connection,
if that is the case do you think getting a wireless USB dongle may help?
Old 19-01-2013, 21:48   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

open start menu and type in

msinfo32

in the search box and open. then expand components
double click on devices and wait for info in right panel
Old 19-01-2013, 22:09   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
open start menu and type in

msinfo32

in the search box and open. then expand components
double click on devices and wait for info in right panel
Is shows IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection, I cannot see any mention of port speed specs, I am using the latest IntelĀ® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection from the Intel web site.
Old 19-01-2013, 22:13   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

That will be limiting your wireless speed. You can upgrade the card or get an external USB one, an external one will be slower.

Also while you can scan for the number of other networks on certain channels, you cannot scan for "congestion" with InSSIDer.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 23:00   #7
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
That will be limiting your wireless speed. You can upgrade the card or get an external USB one, an external one will be slower.

Also while you can scan for the number of other networks on certain channels, you cannot scan for "congestion" with InSSIDer.
I did find this about the wireless on the ACER laptop.
--------------------------------------------
Wireless LAN InviLink. 802.11b/g dual-band tri-mode Wireless

or 802.11 a/b/g dual-band tri-mode Wireless
------------------------------

Dose that help?

I think that the wireless is part of the main board.
Old 19-01-2013, 23:11   #8
thenry
Inactive

its a card slotted into the motherboard Ken which you could upgrade.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

btw is the laptop generally fast (wifi aside) ?
Old 19-01-2013, 23:21   #9
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
its a card slotted into the motherboard Ken which you could upgrade.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

btw is the laptop generally fast (wifi aside) ?
It is only a 1.73G processor intel Centrino (I think) so it seems slow compared to my 3.3G Dual Pentium Duo.
Old 19-01-2013, 23:28   #10
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Hi Ken

Two things:

1/
24 meg wireless on the SH is as good as it normally gets at 2.4 MHz. But as your ACER card seems to support 5 GHz, you could set the SH to 5 GHz mode and I'd expect you to reach the 30 meg.

2/
Would you mind posting your downstream & upstream stats please? When my circuit went to two upstream channels, downstream power & SNT went crazy low.

Also a traceroute to bbc.co.uk would help me to confirm that you're on the same UBR as me.

Cheers

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 23:29   #11
thenry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
It is only a 1.73G processor intel Centrino (I think) so it seems slow compared to my 3.3G Dual Pentium Duo.
whats do you use it for? the former that is.
Old 19-01-2013, 23:41   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
1/
24 meg wireless on the SH is as good as it normally gets at 2.4 MHz. But as your ACER card seems to support 5 GHz, you could set the SH to 5 GHz mode and I'd expect you to reach the 30 meg.
A B/G card cannot do 5Ghz, and even if it could, it would still be limited to ~23Mbps
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 10:47   #13
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Hi Ken

Two things:

1/

2/
Would you mind posting your downstream & upstream stats please? When my circuit went to two upstream channels, downstream power & SNT went crazy low.

Also a traceroute to bbc.co.uk would help me to confirm that you're on the same UBR as me.

Cheers
Hi qasdfdsaq and Sephiroth,

You have confirmed that the limitations is my wifi on my laptop.

trace route for bbc.co.uk

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ken>tracert bbc.co.uk

Tracing route to bbc.co.uk [212.58.241.131]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 6 ms 7 ms 7 ms 10.153.156.1
2 7 ms 8 ms 11 ms winn-core-2a-ae7-1197.network.virginmedia.net [6
2.253.123.97]
3 29 ms 8 ms 9 ms brnt-bb-1c-ae2-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253
.96.169]
4 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms brnt-bb-1a-ae11-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.25
3.174.29]
5 10 ms 12 ms 9 ms glfd-bb-1b-as1-0.network.virginmedia.net [212.43
.163.105]
6 10 ms 10 ms 12 ms glfd-tmr-1-ae5-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.10
5.159.46]
7 10 ms 12 ms 13 ms tcl5-ic-1-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.253.
185.78]
8 12 ms 12 ms 19 ms 212.58.239.249
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 26 ms 12 ms 12 ms ae1.er01.rbsov.bbc.co.uk [132.185.254.46]
11 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms 132.185.255.60
12 12 ms 12 ms 11 ms 212.58.241.131

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Ken>

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 ----------

Quote:
Hi Ken

2/

Cheers
DownstreamDS-1DS-2DS-3DS-4DS-5DS-6DS-7DS-8Frequency (Hz)419000000 Hz427000000 Hz435000000 Hz443000000 Hz451000000 Hz459000000 Hz467000000 HzN/ALock Status(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock)LockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedLockedN/AChannel ID26272829303132N/AModulationQAM256QAM256QAM256QAM256QAM256QAM256QAM 256N/ASymbol Rate (Msym/sec)6.9520006.9520006.9520006.9520006.9520006.9520 006.952000N/AInterleave DepthI=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17I=12
J=17N/APower Level (dBmV)-10.3 dBmV-13.3 dBmV-9.2 dBmV-4.5 dBmV-2.6 dBmV-1.9 dBmV-0.5 dBmVN/ARxMER (dB)31.2 dB28.1 dB32.2 dB36.5 dB38.2 dB38.6 dB39.9 dBN/A

UpstreamUS-1US-2US-3US-4Channel Type2.02.0N/AN/AChannel ID23N/AN/AFrequency (Hz)35800000 Hz27400000 HzN/AN/ARanging StatusSuccessSuccessN/AN/AModulationQAM16QAM16N/AN/ASymbol Rate (Sym/sec)51200005120000N/AN/AMini-Slot Size128128N/AN/APower Level (dBmV)45.8 dBmV46.5 dBmVN/AN/AT1 Timeouts00N/AN/AT2 Timeouts00N/AN/AT3 Timeouts00N/AN/AT4 Timeouts1
Old 20-01-2013, 12:14   #14
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Thanks Ken.

We are on the same UBR and we share a number of downstream channels.

The one with the lowest SNR (your DS2) has the same poor value as mine. Your downstream power and SNR is as bad as mine - yet the circuit appears to be working well enough, albit with some downstream speed loss. I've reported it on the VM forum.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2013, 17:40   #15
Ken W
cf.mega poster

The only thing that I have changed in the Suphub is the password "changeme"