Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Battle of the Hubs - The Prequel

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Concern about the speed increase!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:45   #1
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road
Concern about the speed increase!

I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm currently on 10Mb and it's more than enough for me! 10 yrs or so ago I used to pay 35quid a month for just 1Mb. So I've been a happy chap for a long time. To have good broadband at a reliable price. My only complaint would be that the upload could be faster.

Reading some threads here and other places I fear the speed increase will come at a cost. Currently my speed gets throttled if I download too much. This very rarely happens though! I get the impression it'll get throttled more often?!?! Is that really what I can expect??

In the future I want to upload movies to my family in Australia and USA. I'm worried that after One or two upload I'll be throttled and it'll be very frustrating. Likewise, after I downloaded a couple I'll be throttled as well. While currently It's 3 or 4 movies before this happens.

Should I look elsewhere? What do you think is the best option for around 15-25 pounds a month? (considering what I need it for).
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 10:00   #2
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Concern about the speed increase!

If you exceed the upload STM limit then upstream gets throttled - assuming you are on the upgraded upstream which is 1Mbps for L.
If you exceed the downstream STM limit then downstream gets throttled.
This all happens now and presumably will in future although there is supposed to be something new coming along but exactly what hasn't been announced.

Assuming you are on L and not a legacy product which I have no idea about you'll get increased STM limits along with the increased speeds.

You'll only get more throttling if you upload or download more than double the current limits. I don't see that light users (which you appear to be) have anything to fear - quite the reverse in fact.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:45   #3
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

stm limits will increase with the new speed uploads, the onyl really thign you need to be concerned baout is with teh doubling of speed everyone will eb double so ulisation could be higher other than that you dnt need to worry

you cna also uplaod and fdownlaod outside the stm restriciton period without limits as well, i am currently developinga script to run on linux probally macs to but not windows that would liits your conection during stm period so you will not get stmed
Andrewcrawford23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:19   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentex View Post
I'm a firm believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm currently on 10Mb and it's more than enough for me! 10 yrs or so ago I used to pay 35quid a month for just 1Mb. So I've been a happy chap for a long time. To have good broadband at a reliable price. My only complaint would be that the upload could be faster.

Reading some threads here and other places I fear the speed increase will come at a cost. Currently my speed gets throttled if I download too much. This very rarely happens though! I get the impression it'll get throttled more often?!?! Is that really what I can expect??

In the future I want to upload movies to my family in Australia and USA. I'm worried that after One or two upload I'll be throttled and it'll be very frustrating. Likewise, after I downloaded a couple I'll be throttled as well. While currently It's 3 or 4 movies before this happens.

Should I look elsewhere? What do you think is the best option for around 15-25 pounds a month? (considering what I need it for).
You'll be throttled less as the limits before throttling are increasing.

The 50mb and 100mb services from VM will soon both come down to £25. These give you 5mb and 10mb upload respectively, the latter has no STM limit so you can upload as much as you like.

Though if upload is most important to you you're better off with BT, who give 10mb upload on their 40mb download service, soon to increase to 80mb download with 20mb upload - also £25 a month.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 13:48   #5
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

how much are you paying for each VM service at the moment?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 04:13   #6
Bentex
Inactive

Services: Tivo (M+), BB (L), Phone (M)
Bentex is on a distinguished roadBentex is on a distinguished road

It's currently 22.00 a month for Broadband L and phone.

But I just ordered Tivo with M+ TV. It's going up to over 30.00.

So I guess it's a good thing for me? As I can download more before I get throttled.

I wouldn't really say I'm a light user. Is downloading around 10 gig a day regarded as 'light' nowadays?

qasdfdsaq, thanks for the BT option you mentioned.
Bentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 10:09   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

No worries. I should mention the upgraded BT option isn't officially confirmed to be at the same price but shouldn't be a lot more if that. But it will become available to BT Wholesale ISPs on 10th April
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote