Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM remotely change settings?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

VM remotely change settings?

Old 11-03-2011, 15:18   #16
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: VM remotely change settings?

Chrys, Port forwarding really struggles and rarely works when switching between games consoles, Xbox to PS3 and vice versa which results in NAT issues. and is only solvable via a reboot.

DMZ also falls over when port forwarding has allocated a particular port to another appliance. reboot sorts it out.

None of the above are a major headache now I've found the on/off button

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:15 ----------

Re: Wireless performance, its the strength I find the issue, our superhub struggles upstairs and webpages time out accasionaly. No other router I've had including all the previous VM incarnations have been as poor (strength wise) as the superhub.

I don't seem to get any disconnections now, and downstairs it works fine ATM.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2011, 15:27   #17
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
VM posted an update here.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...te/td-p/386049

note the first paragraph, they plan to remotely change a setting specifically the ip flood protection.

Am I the only one who doesnt like the idea of VM remotely controlling my router when they feel like it?
Sky, BT, O2, Talk Talk all can do it. VM is the only one of the big 5 that doesn't. Or didn't.

As a reminder it's not your router.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 16:03   #18
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Sky, BT, O2, Talk Talk all can do it. VM is the only one of the big 5 that doesn't. Or didn't.

As a reminder it's not your router.
I think its wrong for all of them, but I only mentioned VM as its my isp.

An isp controlling my router like that is like they have to molly coddle me assuming I am incapable of doing so myself.

Dont O2 supply firmwares on a download link rather than auto push it out?

Also BT, O2, sky can all use alternate routers which makes the problem less of a problem.

Incidently I can ssh into my 2nd superhub which has never been online but still cannot ssh into this one as if its been disabled, I havent been able to ssh into this one since I had that long outage and when it had trouble booting up.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 16:24   #19
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I think its wrong for all of them, but I only mentioned VM as its my isp.

An isp controlling my router like that is like they have to molly coddle me assuming I am incapable of doing so myself.

Also BT, O2, sky can all use alternate routers which makes the problem less of a problem.

Incidently I can ssh into my 2nd superhub which has never been online but still cannot ssh into this one as if its been disabled, I havent been able to ssh into this one since I had that long outage and when it had trouble booting up.
They are changing a setting on their equipment nothing more and only in the Liverpool and Knowsley area at present and they can do so if they please because it is in the Terms and Conditions.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:36   #20
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
They are changing a setting on their equipment nothing more and only in the Liverpool and Knowsley area at present and they can do so if they please because it is in the Terms and Conditions.
You love to quote legal stuff a lot, why does that have a bearing on what I like or not.

Whether or not technically VM own the superhub and if its in t&c's is completely irrelevant if I like been molly cuddled on my router.

The bridge mode cant come soon enough, the sooner this is a dumb modem the better.
Old 11-03-2011, 17:51   #21
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Nope - they also push them.

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/broadbandstatus/view/

I appreciate that few things tweak people's nerd rage quite like ISPs who like to control their own CPE though. ISPs have to appeal to the lowest common denominator and don't have the time or tools to go asking each customer how technically savvy they are and add them to some esoteric exclude list for firmware and configuration updates.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 17:55   #22
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
You love to quote legal stuff a lot, why does that have a bearing on what I like or not.

Whether or not technically VM own the superhub and if its in t&c's is completely irrelevant if I like been molly cuddled on my router.

The bridge mode cant come soon enough, the sooner this is a dumb modem the better.
But the is still nothing you or I can do about it.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 23:49   #23
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I am technically adept thanks, and have taken part in many trials.
And at no point in my rebuke did I refute that, or even make mention of it. Your technical credentials were not called into question, I merely remarked that you missed my point. No need to get so defensive!

Quote:
I don't think it is down to poor testing at all, but just the way some people are expecting it to work like their stand alone router isn't how VM envisioned the super hub I think.
It's clearly poor testing and poor design when core functionality is often intermittant for several users. I know what VM envisioned for the Super Hub, roughly, and I can tell you that my particular unit in no way fits the bill; a finding echoed by several others on here and the official VM community forums, enough to be featured in a number of web articles.

Quote:
Poor wireless functionality? I have had mine running for months and not had a single drop out.
And exactly how much pressure are you putting it under? As I've pointed out, light web browsing and the odd file transfer won't kill it. Moving large amounts of data probably will. This and other factors mean it fails at doing basic routing functions most people take for granted.

Quote:
Am sure you would like to help but when testing firmware you would usually be given some scripts to follow then provide feedback. Although in the case of customers doing some final testing then they would just be looking for a bit of feedback concern the firmware after it was already internally trialled.
This is the problem, obviously. Thanks for sharing, because now I have a better idea of where VM are failing: rigorous dedication to scripts. We're not talking actors on a stage reciting dialogue - real life situations don't tend to respond well to scripts. This appears to be a fatal flaw, a complete misjudgement.

Sure, have a script, but allow testers to elaborate and have some dialogue with the engineers, maybe an IM session where they can accurately ascertain where the problems might lie through use of open-ended questions. When both the VMNG300, the Hub and the Super Hub are full of problems at launch requiring firmware fixes a rethink is clearly required.

This lame attempt at damage control does no-one any favours. I'm sorry, that's just as polite as I can make it. I'm giving creative feedback on how VM could do things better, but to take a line from The Simpsons I guess "no one wants to listen to the nonsensical ravings of a loudmouthed malcontent".

Your move, chief.

---

PS: Chrysalis, your comments at the end of page 1 were outstanding. Could not have said it better myself though that doesn't stop me trying.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 16:27   #24
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

I guess I been accepted for trial, superhub just rebooted and on new firmware.

Wont say anything else yet until I know if ok to say anything else about it.
Old 15-03-2011, 17:20   #25
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

If so you should go onto the VM support forum and see if you have a PM from Mark.

He will most likely give you a link to a thread only visable to the trialists to report back you findings. (that's what happened when I was on a FW trial for the VMNG300).

You will also be told what you can make public but basing it on past experience as it's been pushed out to you then basically they are happy and won't mind. Check first though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 18:50   #26
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

nope, had no communications at all, also no hidden forum is showing either. Even checked my VM email account and nothing there either.

--edit--

left him a PM
Old 15-03-2011, 23:05   #27
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Ip flood protection firmware fix rollout starts tomorrow
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 01:19   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

So Chrys had a firmware update the day before the IP Flood firmware fix was rolled out?

Strange.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote