Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | why is ps3 choosing 720p not 1080p

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sony to Disable PS3's "Other OS" Feature

Old 30-03-2010, 22:26   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Sony to Disable PS3's "Other OS" Feature

While reading the article about the MW2 Problem on the 360, i stumbled across this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8594720.stm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
Sony has said it will disable a feature on its PlayStation 3 (PS3) console in a move some consider to be a pre-emptive strike to guard against games piracy.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2010, 22:55   #2
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
re: Sony to Disable PS3's "Other OS" Feature

I'm no expert Wayne but does this mean that I can install Linux as an o/s on my sons ps3 (last of the fat) and use it like a pc?
but not after the update
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 01:11   #3
dbateman2k5
cf.addict

Services: BB: 900 Mbps up/down (TOOB) Phone: Mobile (O2) TV: FreeSat
dbateman2k5 is on a distinguished roaddbateman2k5 is on a distinguished road
re: Sony to Disable PS3's "Other OS" Feature

Firmware 3.21 will disable the 'Other OS' option on the original PS3s (not Slim models), and will be available from April 1st.

Those that use the 'Other OS' feature can choose not to update to 3.21, but the following will not be available to them (until they upgrade to 3.21)..

* Ability to sign in to PSN and use network features that require signing in to PSN, such as online features of PS3 games and chat.
* Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later.
* Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings).
* Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later.

Link to PS Blog (EU) entry: http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/...ing-april-1st/
dbateman2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 01:57   #4
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sony to Disable PS3's "Other OS" Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky View Post
I'm no expert Wayne but does this mean that I can install Linux as an o/s on my sons ps3 (last of the fat) and use it like a pc?
but not after the update
Pretty much.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_on_the_PlayStation_3
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 02:28   #5
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Ahh well, he wont do without online gaming for an hour never mind how long it takes that guy to come up with something.
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 22:08   #6
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I had that problem when my lad opted for the new slim PS3 to replace his long broken usable one. Me thinks there was method in his madness, he knew i wouldn`t be hyjacking this one.

EDIT: Did that many people even use Linux on the PS3?, considering how crap most installs would run. The people this will effect most are probably those using multiple PS3`s for their clusters.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote