Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do I need a PS3?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

Do I need a PS3?

Old 14-08-2011, 10:48   #1
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society
Do I need a PS3?

In the next few months I am seriously thinking about buying a PS3. But I need convincing to.

I currently have a Xbox 360, PS2 and SNES.

I only got a PS2 for Final Fantasy and its the only games I play on it. The SNES is for nostalgia.

I also have a stand alone Blu ray player.

So sell me the PS3 over everything I already got

Do I need it?
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2011, 10:53   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Do I need a PS3?

Is that NEED or WANT?

I'd think it comes down to what games you want to play..

If you have the XBox then why not a PS3 as well if you have the cash?
Old 14-08-2011, 11:01   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Need? No. Nobody needs any games console. The very idea that anybody might 'need' such a thing is most likely one of the reasons for all the looting last week.

But if you want one, and can afford it, why not give the cash to Oxfam, carry on playing with what you have, and bask in the warm glow of making someone else's life a bit better?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:50   #4
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
But if you want one, and can afford it, why not give the cash to Oxfam
Where's the sense in that?

Just give Oxfam your old clothes and buy the PS3
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 11:56   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post
In the next few months I am seriously thinking about buying a PS3. But I need convincing to.

I only got a PS2 for Final Fantasy and its the only games I play on it. The SNES is for nostalgia.

Do I need it?
The trouble with the PS3 is its not backwards compataible and thats was a big weakness when it came to buying a console for a member of the family who had plenty of PS1 and PS2 games which he could not play on a PS3.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 12:47   #6
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

But I have a PS2 for backwards stuff so thats not an issue for me
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 12:48   #7
Jameseh

If you only play Final Fantasy only 13 Versus and 14 (although that is also on PC) are exclusive to PS3, there's not too much incentive for you to buy one really.
Old 14-08-2011, 14:08   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central View Post

Do I need it?

Need? No. Want? Depends on what you play, and what uses you'd have for it.

What kind of games do you like?

Personally, I think it's worth having a PS3 just for the Uncharted games... Easily some of the best of this generation.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 15:46   #9
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I have both (xbox and PS3)...make me an offer
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 22:08   #10
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

no, you don't need it.
Old 15-08-2011, 10:18   #11
Fitze73
Inactive

Services: 2 X Sky+HD 1x LG blu ray home cinema, PS3, XBox360,W
Fitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about themFitze73 has a spectacular aura about them

its upto you really , i have both slim 360, slim 250gb ps3 , i wouldnt sell either of them, like matt said the ps3 has the uncharted games which are stunning , and of course the ps3 has killzone exclusives, and resistance
Fitze73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 23:46   #12
roughie
cf.member

roughie is an unknown quantity at this point

As several people have written you don't need any game console but if you like playing games then there are some good titles that are PS3 exclusive like Uncharted series and Heavy Rain for example. Apart from the PS3 exclusives it seems you already have everything PS3 can offer... Except maybe a Blu-ray 3D player if you current standalone player is not capable of playing 3D movies.
roughie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 09:41   #13
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughie View Post
As several people have written you don't need any game console but if you like playing games then there are some good titles that are PS3 exclusive like Uncharted series and Heavy Rain for example. Apart from the PS3 exclusives it seems you already have everything PS3 can offer... Except maybe a Blu-ray 3D player if you current standalone player is not capable of playing 3D movies.

Also a 3D tv might go a long way, to the OP I had the 360 before and now have the PS3 and they are both the same the only real upside to PS3 is the fact you don't have to pay for online gaming.
Old 21-08-2011, 10:12   #14
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Also a 3D tv might go a long way, to the OP I had the 360 before and now have the PS3 and they are both the same the only real upside to PS3 is the fact you don't have to pay for online gaming.
Good point...free online gaming is a big plus

For some reason, I prefer the xbox controller (not sure why, maybe i like big things )

So really depends on what you want out of it.

eg I rarely use Blue-ray dvds (almost nil).
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 13:17   #15
wolferine
Permanently Banned

wolferine is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't NEED a PS3. But you might want to get it in addition to your Xbox and Snes just for leisure.
wolferine is offline   Reply With Quote