Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | List Of Currrent Virgin Media Channel Numbers & Names

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media OD Service a Total Disgrace

Old 01-11-2009, 13:11   #1
VMboy
Inactive

VMboy is infamous around these partsVMboy is infamous around these parts
Exclamation Virgin Media OD Service a Total Disgrace

The Virgin Media On Demand Service has been having problems since 16th October, probably earlier, and there still doesn't seem to be a fix for the video freezing and either sticking or starting again then freezing.

I would like someone from Virgin Media to perhaps reply to this thread and let us know what to do next as quite frankly as my title suggests the service has turned into a total disgrace.

I know there say they are working to find the root cause, but how long is this going to take as customers are feeling very frustrated.
VMboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2009, 16:50   #2
Nook29
Inactive

Services: Virgin XL TV, V+, 10mb broadband, phone
Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Virgin Media OD Service a Total Disgrace

No problems here, and haven't been for a long time. Do you know of any others it's affecting? Have they sent out an engineer at all, may be a problem your end.

The OD content is fantastic, and I've found the service to be brilliant.
Nook29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 16:51   #3
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

VMboy, I've been using OD quite a bit over the last few week, and apart from a couple of server is busy messages, I have had no problems. Have you reported this to VM?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 16:58   #4
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

I come under the Uddingston area for VM and I've not had any issues.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:07   #5
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack

My VOD service works flawlessly
Top marks Virgin Media
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:10   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
VMboy, I've been using OD quite a bit over the last few week, and apart from a couple of server is busy messages, I have had no problems. Have you reported this to VM?
Further to this, if you haven't already, I would recommend reporting this to VM. There aren't any national faults listed on the status page, and while the regional status page for Scotland says that DTV and Broadband have failed in two areas (which would obviously take out OD), those faults have only been listed since yesterday, not the 16th.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:15   #7
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMboy View Post
The Virgin Media On Demand Service has been having problems since 16th October, probably earlier, and there still doesn't seem to be a fix for the video freezing and either sticking or starting again then freezing.

I would like someone from Virgin Media to perhaps reply to this thread and let us know what to do next as quite frankly as my title suggests the service has turned into a total disgrace.

I know there say they are working to find the root cause, but how long is this going to take as customers are feeling very frustrated.
You are not alone as i've had problems with on demand for years now.

We've had v-boxes, v+ boxes, re-pulls, network engineers - etc and it still hasn't solved the problem so in the end we gave up and now just download the programs we wanted to watch.
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 17:46   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

No issues here either!
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:41   #9
VMboy
Inactive

Sorry, but I forgot to say the fault and ticket are for the Edinburgh area only.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/...ticket=1105950

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

Quote:
Further to this, if you haven't already, I would recommend reporting this to VM.
I have already had an engineer out about this, and I told him about the fact that VM were aware that the fault exists, so all he done was to fit an equaliser -6dvmb as the thought the downstream levels were higher than normal, but I have been told on here that if he didn't check the upstream then they might now not be correct.

Quote:
There aren't any national faults listed on the status page, and while the regional status page for Scotland says that DTV and Broadband have failed in two areas (which would obviously take out OD), those faults have only been listed since yesterday, not the 16th.
What do you mean there aren't any faults, the fault I am referring to is this http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/...ticket=1105950
and the fault has been around since 16th October.

Let me just say that the fault can be very intermittent, and you may think there is no problem until you find it occur at any time.

---------- Post added at 18:40 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaningmags View Post
I come under the Uddingston area for VM and I've not had any issues.
No issues, well that makes sense as the fault is in the Edinburgh area only.

---------- Post added at 18:41 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
My VOD service works flawlessly
Top marks Virgin Media
That's because you don't live in the Edinburgh area!
Old 01-11-2009, 18:41   #10
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Never have a fault with my On Demand service so the must be an issue localy, what do the faults people say when you call them.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 18:48   #11
VMboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nook29 View Post
No problems here, and haven't been for a long time. Do you know of any others it's affecting?
Yes, here is one.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34901593-post25.html
Quote:
The OD content is fantastic, and I've found the service to be brilliant.
You don't live in Edinburgh that's why.
Quote:
Have they sent out an engineer at all, may be a problem your end.
Yes they have, didn't make a light bit of difference either.
As there is a fault re this for Edinburgh I was told to wait and see what happenes for a fix.

---------- Post added at 18:48 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Never have a fault with my On Demand service so the must be an issue localy, what do the faults people say when you call them.
Always told there is a fault for the Edinburgh area.

Here is the fault ticket.

http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/...ticket=1105950
Old 01-11-2009, 19:05   #12
Nook29
Inactive

Nook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to beholdNook29 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
You don't live in Edinburgh that's why.
I'm well aware of that. I was stating a fact that it's a great service, whilst you may have problems with the OD service, it doesn't make it a 'total disgrace', because it's an incredible service that works for the majority of people.
Old 01-11-2009, 19:13   #13
VMboy
Inactive

Quote:
I'm well aware of that. I was stating a fact that it's a great service, whilst you may have problems with the OD service, it doesn't make it a 'total disgrace', because it's an incredible service that works for the majority of people.
Well perhaps you would see it in a different light if you were not able to watch any On Demand programmes for over 2 weeks without it either freezing or crumbling during play.

And how were you stating a fact, if that fact were true then surely all regions should have next to no problems which as you are well aware isn't the case.
Old 01-11-2009, 20:00   #14
Nook29
Inactive

Quote:
Well perhaps you would see it in a different light if you were not able to watch any On Demand programmes for over 2 weeks without it either freezing or crumbling during play.

And how were you stating a fact, if that fact were true then surely all regions should have next to no problems which as you are well aware isn't the case.
I've been in the situation before, for longer than two weeks. Yes, it's annoying, but problems do occur. When it works (which is most of the time) the service is excellent.

Nothing is perfect. If you expect something on this scale to work across the whole country 24/7, then you're unrealistic. Sure, it probably ought to be fixed by now for you, but the service IS fantastic, hence why most people on here praise it.
Old 01-11-2009, 20:06   #15
musicbravo
Inactive

Services: Virgin v+ xl TV Virgin M Broadband and phone
musicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these partsmusicbravo is just so famous around these parts

No problems here in Derby (Yes I know that is not Edinburgh, my Geography is not that poor). All we get is occasional server busy type messages.
Compared to the opposition this is a fantastic service. Not flawless but what is?
musicbravo is offline   Reply With Quote