Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

Old 14-08-2017, 21:58   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM Phone : Sky Mobile : Sky TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Thinking of upgrading from VIVID 200 Gamer to VIVID 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Gamer 200 has been made redundant by Vivid 300 and, indeed, 350.
Not entirely redundant, its still slightly cheaper, and its the upload I'm more interested in, not the download.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-08-2017, 22:05   #17
RainmakerRaw
cf.addict

Services: Gig1
RainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of lightRainmakerRaw is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
unfortunately it will be the later. Up and till last week 200 gamer and homeworks were exempt from upstream traffic management so if 200 gamer is no longer available and a new entry has been made somewhere that now states homeworks is managed then the most recent update/information is going to be the most accurate and correct.
Quite. It doesn't mention VIVID350 though, so I'm assuming I'm good for now.
Old 14-08-2017, 23:47   #18
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Not entirely redundant, its still slightly cheaper, and its the upload I'm more interested in, not the download.
From what I can see in my area Gamer isn't sold anymore, and Vivid 300 is at the same price point Gamer was previously - a 5 quid supplement on top of Vivid 200. Pretty redundant if it's not being sold anymore and a faster service at the same price point has taken its place.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 03:42   #19
Cromulent
Inactive

Services: VIVID 350, Sky Q
Cromulent is on a distinguished roadCromulent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
From what I can see in my area Gamer isn't sold anymore, and Vivid 300 is at the same price point Gamer was previously - a 5 quid supplement on top of Vivid 200. Pretty redundant if it's not being sold anymore and a faster service at the same price point has taken its place.
Not really. Gamer you could do unlimited uploads (like Twitch streaming or uploading YouTube videos) at peak hours and not get traffic managed. That is no longer the case with 300 or 350.

As I said earlier I think I'm going to stick to Gamer for the long run even though I could do with the faster download as well.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 08:11   #20
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-m...hresholds.html

There are no thresholds for 200 Gamer, 300, or 350.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:51   #21
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
Just been on webchat and to upgrade from 200 gamer to 300, was going to be an extra £12

I'll try again later and see what price I get this time.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:48   #22
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike86 View Post

There are no thresholds for 200 Gamer, 300, or 350.
Where does it state that? 300 appears to be managed from what I can see. Only 200 gamer and 350 are missing from the wording suggesting that they are the only two plans without restrictions.

Edit: Its missing from the wording, but the main page for the 300 package suggests it has no upload restrictions. Seems it's just the usual VM with a conflicting website.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:07   #23
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Not really. Gamer you could do unlimited uploads (like Twitch streaming or uploading YouTube videos) at peak hours and not get traffic managed. That is no longer the case with 300 or 350.

As I said earlier I think I'm going to stick to Gamer for the long run even though I could do with the faster download as well.
300 and 350 aren't managed.

No entries for Gamer 200, Vivid 300 or Vivid 350.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 14:07   #24
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The thresholds page only covers packages that have traffic management.

As VIVID 300 doesn't have management, it's not listed.

The terms on the main Shop page make it clear that VIVID 300 doesn't have any management.
Old 17-08-2017, 14:18   #25
Travelstar
cf.member

Click again on the 30mb and higher titles and you will see the following title:

"Name of broadband product: Fibre 20, Fibre 30, SuperFibre 50, SuperFibre 60, SuperFibre 70, VIVID 100, VIVID 120, VIVID 150, VIVID 152, VIVID 200, VIVID 300"

https://my.virginmedia.com/traffic-m...or-higher.html

This suggests it does, however I will agree that other pages suggest this is incorrect.

It also has a non-functioning link to Ofcom!
Old 17-08-2017, 15:05   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I think that's because that link includes the P2P and Newsgroup management policy, which applies to all tiers.

I'll pass back the OFCOM link thing though, not sure where that should go if OFCOM have removed their page.
Old 17-08-2017, 15:42   #27
Travelstar
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think that's because that link includes the P2P and Newsgroup management policy, which applies to all tiers.

I'll pass back the OFCOM link thing though, not sure where that should go if OFCOM have removed their page.
From an outsider perspective, it feels a little confusing.

It would be nice if VM added a statement to the effect of saying "Gamer, 300 & 350 are not subject to......"

Last edited by Travelstar; 17-08-2017 at 15:45.
Old 17-08-2017, 16:05   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I'll let you know on Wednesday when I get it installed unless someone else who already has it can confirm either way in the meantime.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 21:33   #29
Phil-ntl
Body of a God (Buddha)!

Services: VVIP 500mb aka Ultimate Oomph (who the hell thought that name up??) 4X V6 Samsung UE55KU6470 4K TV
Phil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation eraPhil-ntl has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I'll let you know on Wednesday when I get it installed unless someone else who already has it can confirm either way in the meantime.
I've been on the Vivid 350 package for around a month and have hammered it. Up to now, I've not been subjected to any traffic management at any time. The test result below is after I've just completed a 38GB file transfer from and then back to a work server via ftp.

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by Phil-ntl; 17-08-2017 at 21:36. Reason: Edited for clarity
Phil-ntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 02:55   #30
Cromulent
Inactive

Services: VIVID 350, Sky Q
Cromulent is on a distinguished roadCromulent is on a distinguished road

Do I just ring up Virgin Media and ask about VIVID 350? It still isn't listed on their website?
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote