Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

Old 13-04-2012, 09:32   #16
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Re: Anti-gay adverts pulled from bus campaign by Boris Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You appear to be missing the entire point.....
So what is the point?

is it homophobic?

if I don't get it, then how is anyone else?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2012, 09:41   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
doesn't sound very Christian of these Christians does it
I think you may be a little ill-informed about Christian belief on the subject of homosexuality.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:02   #18
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think you may be a little ill-informed about Christian belief on the subject of homosexuality.
I think we are all a little confused on some Christians belief on the subject of homosexuality.On one hand we have we have some churches allowing gay partnerships and blessing them on the other we have churches coming up with ads basically offering to turn gays straight .You tell us Chris ,exactly what is the churches belief on homosexuality? because i'm damned if i know
Old 13-04-2012, 10:06   #19
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
exactly what is the churches belief on homosexuality? because i'm damned if i know
It all depends on who you are talking to from the church.
some do, some don't. some will, some won't.

it's all down to interpretation.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:10   #20
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I think we are all a little confused on some Christians belief on the subject of homosexuality.On one hand we have we have some churches allowing gay partnerships and blessing them on the other we have churches coming up with ads basically offering to turn gays straight .You tell us Chris ,exactly what is the churches belief on homosexuality? because i'm damned if i know
It may surprise you to know that there is no one core belief on this. If you want to go by what is written in scripture then those who have gay sexual relationships are to be put to death.

Whereas some people still believe this (I suspect they'd be anti-gay regardless of religion), there are many millions who see it differently. Jesus said nothing against loving monogamous relationships and that's the view I prefer to take.

There is far too much 'them and us' is matters like this. It's almost like if you're not actively encouraging gay relationships then you're obviously against them and want gays to have no rights whatsoever.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:12   #21
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Homosexuality is an illicit lust forbidden by God. He said to His people Israel, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination" (Leviticus 18:22). "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them" (Leviticus 20:13). In these passages homosexuality is condemned as a prime example of sin, a sexual perversion. The Christian can neither alter God's viewpoint nor depart from it.
Bible.org

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:17   #22
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Just for clarification (which I think is urgently needed when passages are quoted on their own like this), that refers to gay sex. It says nothing about being gay itself.

Not all gays are 'at it' (if they were I think more people would give it a try...) so it would suggest scripture is more against sex being used in ways other than reproduction, or outside of marriage - the Bible says equal things about adultery but that, mysteriously, gets overlooked a lot.]

I'm not saying I agree with the above - just clarifying

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-04-2012, 10:17   #23
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm not sure how I'd describe them but they're not homophobic. People are far too quick to play the "ooooh, gayist" card these days especially when it comes to anything connected to religion.

I don't see anything in that 'advert' which suggests homosexuality can be 'cured'. It could just as easily refer to someone straight who 'experimented' during their teens or puberty.
I don't think this is the case. I think they are promoting the belief that gay people are cured. Either way it's promoting the idea that it's something people should / can get over which isn't a kind or helpful message to anyone already struggling with their sexuality....
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:17   #24
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Taken out of context it doesn't appear at first glance homophobic.However on careful reading of the article it would appear to be offensive because it's an attempt to suggest that homosexuality is a disease that can be cured.

Quote:
The adverts were booked on behalf of the Core Issues Trust whose leader, Mike Davidson, believes "homoerotic behaviour is sinful".His charity funds "reparative therapy" for gay Christians, which it claims can "develop their heterosexual potential". The campaign was also backed by Anglican Mainstream, a worldwide orthodox Anglican group whose supporters have equated homosexuality with alcoholism.
The phrases chosen for the posters seem to have been deliberately used to give an impression of ambiguity so as to try not to appear homophobic and thus designed to pass any test of being anti-gay by advertising standards.

Quote:
The campaign was an explicit attempt to hit back at the gay rights group Stonewall, which as part of its lobbying for the extension of marriage to gay couples is running its own bus adverts saying: "Some people are gay. Get over it." The Christian groups used the same black, red and white colour scheme as Stonewall and in a statement announcing the campaign accused it of promoting the "false idea that there is indisputable scientific evidence that people are born gay".
Old 13-04-2012, 10:19   #25
Gary L
cf.mega poster

I suppose in some cases Christians can be against homosexuality because it's 'forbidden' in the bible if you like.
but say they're not when asked about it.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:21   #26
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I don't think this is the case. I think they are promoting the belief that gay people are cured. Either way it's promoting the idea that it's something people should / can get over which isn't a kind or helpful message to anyone already struggling with their sexuality....
I can see how some can take it that way - but others may see it as answering back at Stonewall constantly ramming sexuality down people's throats.

On the subject of morality, it could be argued either side are at fault however they both have views and should be free to express them, however repugnant or misguided.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-04-2012, 10:22   #27
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
that refers to gay sex. It says nothing about being gay itself.

Not all gays are 'at it'
See, this is like an interpretation.
Old 13-04-2012, 10:23   #28
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
I suppose in some cases Christians can be against homosexuality because it's 'forbidden' in the bible if you like.
Quote:
The Christian can neither alter God's viewpoint nor depart from it

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:23   #29
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Old 13-04-2012, 10:29   #30
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
<snip>
This is why it is essential that people read things in context.

Vote #AnyoneButTory