Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2017, 15:25   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Well, that's what Virgin Media seem to think, and this interesting piece suggests that our cableco at least is set to move on from the traditional scheduled TV means of providing content.

This rather suggests that the days of more and more digital channels being added to VM may be coming to an end, in favour of a bigger and more comprehensive on demand selection from multiple sources.

The question now is, how much longer do we have to wait before we see some more streaming services added to our TV packages?

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/71015...pen-platforms/

Virgin Media: future of pay TV means more open platforms

Only pay TV providers that aggregate multiple content providers together are likely to have a future, according to David Bouchier, chief digital entertainment officer, Virgin Media.

Speaking at Marketforce’s Future of Broadcasting conference this morning, Bouchier also said that in the medium term, Liberty Global-owned Virgin Media faced the challenge of addressing two different audiences with conflicting needs.

For younger audiences on-demand viewing is the norm, said Bouchier, but the majority still spend 83% of their time watching linear viewing.

Most on-demand content is time-shifted viewing. Driven by the younger segment, there is a “dramatic decline” in the number of hours recorded on DVRs as people switch to on-demand, he said.

“We have to provide a service…to both ends,” said Bouchier, in this “tale of two audiences”.

Bouchier said that Virgin had “to go in a different direction to its competitors” with TV. “We are talking about moving away from simple linear TV and that [old] multichannel line-up,” he said. “Linear is the old technology and…not a valid pay TV proposition on its own.”

Bouchier said “one brand is not enough”, meaning that Virgin has to provide a way for content partners to shift to an on-demand model. He cited the example of the Netflix app on Virgin’s platform, and the availability of on-demand viewing across screens on the platform, as showing the way ahead.

Bouchier said that Virgin’s ability to bring multiple content sources together in a bundle delivers value to consumers and provides something that individual service providers such as Netflix can’t match. He said that the large global subscription video-on-demand companies are learning “a difficult truth” that the customer relationship established by the likes of Virgin Media, as a provider of bundled services, is “sticky” and “powerful”. For Netflix and others, keeping customers is a challenging business.

“This [bundling] is core to our business. When you look at that fragmenting viewership…I am actually quite confident about where pay TV is going,” he said, arguing that no single online player offered sufficient value on its own. What Virgin needs to do is become “multi-service” player with market-leading broadband, he said.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 27-06-2017 at 15:31.
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2017, 15:31   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Confirmed: linear is old tech - on demand is the future

It's the youth of today that are driving this and like it or not it will happen, personally I don't mind at all but media companies will have to change their game as will studios producing content.
Old 30-06-2017, 18:23   #3
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

As far as live sport goes on-demand doesn't work.

It would be good to be able to watch say last nights rugby league in full now (assuming you missed the chance to record it yesterday)

Is this possible - no, at best you might get a few minutes highlights!

Imagine the uproar if on-demand movies only gave you a 4-5 minute highlight package?

The blurb says it is down to time-shifting, surely you can do this by recording the live programme and watching at a later time.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:34   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
As far as live sport goes on-demand doesn't work.

It would be good to be able to watch say last nights rugby league in full now (assuming you missed the chance to record it yesterday)

Is this possible - no, at best you might get a few minutes highlights!

Imagine the uproar if on-demand movies only gave you a 4-5 minute highlight package?

The blurb says it is down to time-shifting, surely you can do this by recording the live programme and watching at a later time.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. You can watch live programming or a recording of it for later on demand. Take a look at the BBC i-Player and you will see that this works along those lines already.

There is no reason at all why you can't see the whole match of a game that happened previously, as long as the broadcaster has the rights to do so.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:42   #5
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are saying here. You can watch live programming or a recording of it for later on demand. Take a look at the BBC i-Player and you will see that this works along those lines already.

There is no reason at all why you can't see the whole match of a game that happened previously, as long as the broadcaster has the rights to do so.
The vast majority of people that watch sport watch it live on Linear TV.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:46   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The vast majority of people that watch sport watch it live on Linear TV.
They do at the moment, Den, no doubt about that.

But as we look in the mirror every morning, we are reminded that time does not stand still!
Old 30-06-2017, 19:50   #7
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
They do at the moment, Den, no doubt about that.

But as we look in the mirror every morning, we are reminded that time does not stand still!
And they will in the future.
Old 30-06-2017, 19:53   #8
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
It's the youth of today that are driving this and like it or not it will happen, personally I don't mind at all but media companies will have to change their game as will studios producing content.
I think the big US players will eventually force the kind of change that is being talked about here.

Sky already 'get it', which is why they have downplayed a little their commitment to getting sports rights at all costs, and why they have brought Now TV to our screens.

The move to Sky on the internet next year will be the next big step.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:09   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

OB, as much as I agree with you on everything else about linear tv, I cannot agree with you regarding live sports, there's no way in hell that I would pre record a live sports event to watch later, so linear tv for live sports events will always be here imo.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:38   #10
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
I think the big US players will eventually force the kind of change that is being talked about here.

Sky already 'get it', which is why they have downplayed a little their commitment to getting sports rights at all costs, and why they have brought Now TV to our screens.

The move to Sky on the internet next year will be the next big step.
I kind of agree with you, Sky have got it with their Now TV service (despite its frequent problems),
but then they haven't got it, I really cannot see many internet only subscribers wanting to pay for their outdated business model of subbing to a load of channels in order to get access to the few you may want which is how I have read everything that has been published so far about their internet only Sky Q package. It seems to me its been designed to be exactly the same as their satellite package but I hope I'm wrong on that.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:51   #11
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
OB, as much as I agree with you on everything else about linear tv, I cannot agree with you regarding live sports, there's no way in hell that I would pre record a live sports event to watch later, so linear tv for live sports events will always be here imo.
Totally agree!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 01:19   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I know that many sports fans would never watch a recorded sports event.

But you do understand that you can watch a streamed event live, right?
Old 02-07-2017, 22:22   #13
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I do this every week of the year.

Reasons

1) often 2 or more matches on at same time that I want to watch (how else can I do that?)

2) I am out almost every Saturday - recording allows me to watch later in the evening (or at a later date)

3) my wife doesn't watch sport so I watch when she isn't around.

All in all time-shifting is a fact of life for me.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:32   #14
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Yep, News and Sport are the only things you need to watch live. Everything else it doesn't matter.
Old 06-07-2017, 10:26   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

There is no conflict between streaming and watching live. You can watch live TV on the BBC i-Player, for example.

There appears to be a collective mental block on this subject!
Closed Thread