Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 04-12-2016, 01:45   #1831
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Is it true what I hear that does virgin v6 have to be beside the superhub, so if my superhub is at other end of room, do they need to move it

---------- Post added at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

An article said

"Virgin Media will also undercut Sky on the cost of upgrading. Subscribers to top tier cable packages will not be charges extra, whereas Sky Q introduced a ‘super premium’ package."

But is it cheaper as there is no 4K. If so that's not undercutting, they just couldn't get content
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2016, 09:25   #1832
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Only undercutting it for those with the top packages, for the rest of us it costs £100 which is the same as Sky Q.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:41   #1833
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Would it be possible (and more cost effective) for those on the lower packages to upgrade for a month and get the V6 for half price?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44   #1834
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Would it be possible (and more cost effective) for those on the lower packages to upgrade for a month and get the V6 for half price?
Would lose any retentions deals we currently have and probably work out more expensive in the long run that way. The only people that would help would be those already paying full price for the current package, i suspect that anyone who would read your suggestion would be the type of people who would be on a deal after price bumps etc anyway.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:46   #1835
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
That would be classed as a new contract and thus it would be a contract you have to keep for 12 months Richard.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:50   #1836
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Would lose any retentions deals we currently have and probably work out more expensive in the long run that way. The only people that would help would be those already paying full price for the current package, i suspect that anyone who would read your suggestion would be the type of people who would be on a deal after price bumps etc anyway.
Good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
That would be classed as a new contract and thus it would be a contract you have to keep for 12 months Richard.
I think that upgrading to a V6 will probably put people into a new contract anyway.

I know I was, but that that might be peculiar to me.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:01   #1837
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Quote:
The contract doesn't affect you going up or down packages though, they just stick you on a new one every time you do.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:06   #1838
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The contract doesn't affect you going up or down packages though, they just stick you on a new one every time you do.
But I think if you are on a set package to get the cheaper TiVo price, I think if you lower the package you might need to pay the difference. I'm sure virgin have thought about this

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Quote:
I agree but I think if you wanted to drop the package, the difference will need to be paid

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Quote:
Only undercutting it for those with the top packages, for the rest of us it costs £100 which is the same as Sky Q.
Ok even on a top package it's not undercutting, it's just we aren't charged for services that sky pay for that we can't get
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:07   #1839
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Services: ultimate oomph bundle M500
trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Getting one installed in Jan, for free. Can't be worse than the TiVo.
We are on the 200 BB and full house TV. Registered for the V6. Got a call day after launch.

Missus took call, so don't know exactly was said, but Install is booked for 4th January, no cost was mentioned. It's all on the account, with no £49.99 install cost mentioned. Yep I'm a happy bunny.

My one question is about the connections. I see there is no F Connector now, just a standard Coax connection. And what is that round 9 pin SCART connector about ? I do make use of the standard SCART, so would likely need to source a cable with this non standard looking SCART output. I've searched and am struggling, I have to say.

TrevP
trevrpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:35   #1840
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrpb View Post
My one question is about the connections. I see there is no F Connector now, just a standard Coax connection. And what is that round 9 pin SCART connector about ? I do make use of the standard SCART, so would likely need to source a cable with this non standard looking SCART output
The IEC (coax) connector is the cable input. There's an external adaptor to allow a F cable to be connected.

The SCART socket is not enabled on the VM boxes.

Both are like this because the same box will be used elsewhere in Europe, where they don't use F connectors, and HDMI is not commonplace.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:07   #1841
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

trevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nicetrevrpb is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The IEC (coax) connector is the cable input. There's an external adaptor to allow a F cable to be connected.

The SCART socket is not enabled on the VM boxes.

Both are like this because the same box will be used elsewhere in Europe, where they don't use F connectors, and HDMI is not commonplace.
SCART not enabled ? First I've read of that...other blurb has used phrases like '...a SCART output to be able to connect to 'older' TVs.....' ?

I don't use the SCART for output to TV, but I do use SCART output for picture and sound output to my PC

I will have to have a thought about that then if it really is not enabled

TrevP

---------- Post added at 12:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The most I have had on the go at once is 4 recordings at the same time (one via my DVD recorder) but even then I had to use a timeshift channel and a repeated episode on another day to avoid clashes.

Six tuners for me is perfect (but only because I have now bought a DVD player/HDD recorder with two tuners!).
I often get clashes...having a wide range of interests, there are often times i have jog things about between 8pm and 11pm. So 6 tuners is an excellent option for me. One of main reasons for getting one to add to my existing 2 TiVos

TrevP
Old 04-12-2016, 13:32   #1842
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I often get clashes...having a wide range of interests, there are often times i have jog things about between 8pm and 11pm. So 6 tuners is an excellent option for me. One of main reasons for getting one to add to my existing 2 TiVos

TrevP
Yes it amazing when the household has different interests the amount of times one does have to juggle things around at certain times in the evening.
Old 04-12-2016, 14:03   #1843
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
...other blurb has used phrases like '...a SCART output to be able to connect to 'older' TVs.....' ?
Sounds like someone was guessing

Try this
http://store.virginmedia.com/content...xfactsheet.pdf
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 16:26   #1844
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

dont know how true it is?

But VM are limiting the V6 strictly to 1 box per household only?

I tried my bluff and called them up saying I had a missed call on Thursday which I believed to be able the V6.

They said there was no record on my account, and that I need to call back at opening on Tuesday to order as an existing customer.

But said I could only order 1 box only and couldn't replace my other 2 TiVo boxes as VM is strictly limiting it to 1 per household?
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 16:57   #1845
trevrpb
WeatherManTrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Sounds like someone was guessing

Try this
http://store.virginmedia.com/content...xfactsheet.pdf
Cheers Spider...I see that sheet doesnt say not enabled ,(unless Ive missed it), but it also does not mention it in the rear plane spec

To make full use of all the streaming across boxes, do both the V6 and both my other TiVo need to have an Ethernet connection ?

TrevP