Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-12-2016, 02:41   #3166
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Maybe the majority of households of the older generation, Den. But I am seeing at first hand the very different ways of doing things and the expectations of those younger than me and I think many will be surprised at the sheer speed of the changes that will affect us in the coming years.
I understand where you are coming from.

I was born in 1979. Since then I've seen the birth of satellite TV, mobile phones, home computing and the internet. Some of the biggest phenomenons on the internet like YouTube, Facebook and Twitter are less than 12 years old.

I grew up in a time when you had to watch TV as it went out, only 3 channels, but if you where lucky you had VHS and could record your shows to watch at a later time if you fancied. Watching a movie on demand went a 30 minute walk to your local video rental store.

There's a whole generation of kids, who are 10 and under, who have grown up with modern technology from birth and are able to access information, music and video within seconds. Anything they want at a touch of a button.... usually free or for a small fee. It's this generation, the pay TV customers of tomorrow, who are going to shape how content is consumed. Older people are more likely to want to stick with what they know, and may be resitant to change.

You can't fight it. The YouTube / Facebook generation are coming and will be the new target audience for SKY and Virgin Media within the next 10 years.

TV as we know it won't last forever. In 1989, when I was 10, if someone told me I could access 1000 movies with a new premier everyday (NOW TV Movies pass) for less than £10.00 per month and I could watch whatever I wanted when I wanted I simply wouldn't have believed it. Times change, technology evolves and so do expectations.

I reckon before I'm 50 almost everything from TV, movies and sport will be available to me at a reasonable price without the need of dedciated TV subscription. I'm not saying lineal TV will be dead, I think it will be less relevant.
Advertisement
Old 18-12-2016, 11:22   #3167
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Did you also think a remote control on a wire was groundbreaking.
Old 18-12-2016, 12:19   #3168
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
We certainly did!
Old 18-12-2016, 12:22   #3169
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oh yes!

Old 18-12-2016, 12:26   #3170
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder whether we'll ever get On Demand move in a similar way to music streaming.

Having access to all shows for a flat monthly fee , piracy was what made the music industry have a rethink. £9.99 a month allows you to stream as much music as you want with many services having north of 40 million tracks.
Old 18-12-2016, 12:40   #3171
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I wonder whether we'll ever get On Demand move in a similar way to music streaming.

Having access to all shows for a flat monthly fee , piracy was what made the music industry have a rethink. £9.99 a month allows you to stream as much music as you want with many services having north of 40 million tracks.
The worrying thing is that we have all these different streaming services, each with their own subscription fees or PPV (as well as services with unskippable ads) and although we may well end up with more choice than we have now, it's going to get rather expensive unless we find a way of permitting archived material from being accessed from a central database..

From the consumer's point of view it would be good if we could just access all programmes over 5 years' old via the cloud either on subscription or PPV.
Old 18-12-2016, 13:01   #3172
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I'm sure we will get a Spotify style system at some point but it won't be until doing it that way is worth more money than the current models, i think we're still a long way away from that. With the current TV model even older shows are generating huge amounts of money, Friends still generates $1b every year from Syndication (the actors still get paid $20m a year each from that lol), Seinfeld $3.5billion since 1995 etc.
Old 18-12-2016, 13:04   #3173
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I find the more choice I have the less interest I have. Probably I just take it for granted now.
Old 19-12-2016, 00:51   #3174
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

This could be interesting new service launching, not much info at mo not sure if it's a all in one service kr nust a show tracker at the moment https://uk.tviso.com/
Old 19-12-2016, 08:53   #3175
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
This could be interesting new service launching, not much info at mo not sure if it's a all in one service kr nust a show tracker at the moment https://uk.tviso.com/
Tviso is a Spanish company. It's offering looks more like a search engine/price comparison site to me.

http://www.finsmes.com/2016/11/tviso...n-funding.html
Old 19-12-2016, 09:37   #3176
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Tviso is a Spanish company. It's offering looks more like a search engine/price comparison site to me.

http://www.finsmes.com/2016/11/tviso...n-funding.html
Yeah it looks similar to Roku's search and its My Feed features. It's the sort of feature that people with multiple subscriptions will find very useful.

I wonder if Tviso has managed to get buy in from the main streaming services as presumably they need to provide the information to power Tviso. Hopefully Tviso isn't the only player in this market as it will push the technology on a bit.
Old 20-12-2016, 02:15   #3177
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
There is a site already that does the same thing. You type in a series or film and it tells you which streaming service it's available on, can't remember the name though?

That's if it's the same sort of thing.
Old 20-12-2016, 03:32   #3178
mogodon
cf.member

Services: VM BB 200MB & TV XL / Telephone / Tivo / Now TV / Netflix / Amazon / Spotify
mogodon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
There is a site already that does the same thing. You type in a series or film and it tells you which streaming service it's available on, can't remember the name though?

That's if it's the same sort of thing.
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series
Old 20-12-2016, 08:40   #3179
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogodon View Post
Good link, thank you, mogodon.
Old 20-12-2016, 10:24   #3180
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogodon View Post
Thanks, looks like a great service. I'll be making extensive use of this now I've pretty much ditched VM tv. The Android app is pretty good too.
Closed Thread