Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 30-07-2016, 11:00   #5416
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Virgin & Arris are still investigating this problem.
I knew there was an issue with a messy-looking graphs, but drop outs, actual breaks in service, are more of an issue. This morning two of those drop outs disconnected me from my cloud and prevented me browsing for a while.

I hope Virgin and Arris are doing more than looking into it!!
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-07-2016, 12:41   #5417
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Virgin & Arris are still investigating this problem.
My problemis that there is no evidence of any activity on this front.

I'm a professional in this game and I know exactly what to do as a series of steps to narrow down the root cause. We have no idea if these steps have been taken. VM's silence on the matter is disgraceful and disreputable.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 13:45   #5418
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

I'm a professional in this game and I know exactly what to do as a series of steps to narrow down the root cause. We have no idea if these steps have been taken. VM's silence on the matter is disgraceful and disreputable.
Ditto my ongoing problem. Once "investigation" disappears further up the chain, it is impossible to get feedback even if it was promised. And someone at the Swansea office is very quick to close the fault number after trying unsuccessfully to contact me by telepathy.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 14:24   #5419
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:

This is worrying.

I have been in contact with CS just now and have reported that roughly every half hour there is a connection drop. CS tell me, having checked and refreshed the connection that all channels show a 'green light' and that there are no problems. We talked about power levels. Mine range between 1.7 and -2.5. dBmV. This tallied with what CS could see. They also reported no evidence of connection drop outs over the last 24 hours.

I explained that the problem could be with the SH3 itself and that I had none of these problems with SH2. After speaking to one of his superiors the operative reported that SH3 issues had now been resolved and that the problem must be with my own router. (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!)

By now I am getting tetchy, so I suggested that I monitor this problem for 24 hours with and without modem-only mode, and would report back.
Old 30-07-2016, 14:48   #5420
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
This is worrying.

I have been in contact with CS just now and have reported that roughly every half hour there is a connection drop. CS tell me, having checked and refreshed the connection that all channels show a 'green light' and that there are no problems. We talked about power levels. Mine range between 1.7 and -2.5. dBmV. This tallied with what CS could see. They also reported no evidence of connection drop outs over the last 24 hours.

I explained that the problem could be with the SH3 itself and that I had none of these problems with SH2. After speaking to one of his superiors the operative reported that SH3 issues had now been resolved and that the problem must be with my own router. (Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!)

By now I am getting tetchy, so I suggested that I monitor this problem for 24 hours with and without modem-only mode, and would report back.
Roughie - was this offshore that you spoke to? In any case a formal complaint would be in order - the VM bods on the VM forums have acknowledged that the fault lies on their side but are not able to give information on how it's being tackled etc.

Old 30-07-2016, 15:10   #5421
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Roughie - was this offshore that you spoke to? In any case a formal complaint would be in order - the VM bods on the VM forums have acknowledged that the fault lies on their side but are not able to give information on how it's being tackled etc.
Yes, off-shore.
Old 30-07-2016, 15:42   #5422
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Yes, off-shore.
Dear oh dear. How long you been on the forums? Those oor sods have never used the VM service, don't know the equipment, prolly get paid on closed calls marked as successful.

I have raised this behind the scenes in the VM Superusers' forum. I don't expect to get anywhere because any reply I get will try and stray from the core topic. But it's ridiculous. Do complain via the "Contact Us" link on the VM web site.

Old 30-07-2016, 17:39   #5423
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Dear oh dear. How long you been on the forums? Those oor sods have never used the VM service, don't know the equipment, prolly get paid on closed calls marked as successful.

I have raised this behind the scenes in the VM Superusers' forum. I don't expect to get anywhere because any reply I get will try and stray from the core topic. But it's ridiculous. Do complain via the "Contact Us" link on the VM web site.
Don't worry Seph I will.

I don't know why I am surprised at the response I got, may be because it doesn't happen to me much.

Thanks BTW.
Old 31-07-2016, 01:09   #5424
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

I have put SH3 into router mode temporarily, to see if this makes a difference to the packet drops / connection losses.

The TBB monitor using the IPV4 address just shows a solid red profile. The direct IP address shows this. Not sure I ever saw a graph like that. It isn't telling me anything.

I'll keep it that way until the morning. The connection is much more stable right now. Is it possible that my ASUS N66U is clashing in some way with the SH3?

Last edited by roughbeast; 31-07-2016 at 01:45.
Old 31-07-2016, 09:33   #5425
Sephiroth
Simples

Well, it is true that when in modem mode, the ASUS router is handling the BQM responses.

But any circuit drops in modem mode won't be because of an ASUS setting imo. What I'l do this evening is turn my ASUS router off while I'm logged into the modem and see what that does to the circuit. The WAN IP address will have been closed down. The BQM will obviously show red but I'm interested in what the modem does.

Old 31-07-2016, 11:44   #5426
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Well, it is true that when in modem mode, the ASUS router is handling the BQM responses.

But any circuit drops in modem mode won't be because of an ASUS setting imo. What I'l do this evening is turn my ASUS router off while I'm logged into the modem and see what that does to the circuit. The WAN IP address will have been closed down. The BQM will obviously show red but I'm interested in what the modem does.

In the end I didn't have the patience to wait until the morning to test the router mode arrangement. I stayed up until 3.00 am instead.The connection appeared rock solid with no detectable drop outs.

Before going to bed I restored modem only mode. The result is all too clear.

I would obviously be interested in what you discover Seph. Meanwhile I need to ring CS again. I will not be in a strong position because they will inevitably point to my N66U as being the issue, not their kit. However, the point remains, that SH3 is the changed factor. Surely VM have a responsibility to ensure that their kit works with high quality mainstream routers such as mine.

Last edited by roughbeast; 31-07-2016 at 11:48.
Old 31-07-2016, 13:09   #5427
Sephiroth
Simples

Roughie,

Does it do the same with a wired PC straight into the Hub 3 when you are in modem mode?

I'm not on an Arris CMTS so me trying it has no value.

Old 31-07-2016, 14:08   #5428
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Roughie,

Does it do the same with a wired PC straight into the Hub 3 when you are in modem mode?

I'm not on an Arris CMTS so me trying it has no value.

My set up, includes 3 main ethernet cables going out to switches around the house which serve a variety of devices. So as not to disrupt the lives of the family I will run SH3 in modem-only mode tonight, connected to my main PC, and have the router out of the loop.

Edit.............................................. ..............................................

I went ahead and disrupted everyone's lives anyway. I connected my main PC to the SH3 in modem only mode. There was a network connection, but sadly no internet connection.

Having just spoken to CS I have reset the SH3 in the hope that any new firmware might get downloaded. Unfortunately not. It is still 9.1.88T.

Currently in router mode and having no drop outs. Going back to modem only mode shortly.

A question for you Seph. One of my main reasons for having my own router is that I can use VPN with no trouble. My expat friends use my facility so they can easily access BBC iplayer etc, plus I use it for security when out and about using public wifi. Is it possible to use my ASUS just as an AP whilst still using it as a VPN server? Presumably the IP it is allocated can be used for VPN.

Last edited by roughbeast; 31-07-2016 at 14:43.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:07   #5429
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

No change.

Old 01-08-2016, 22:21   #5430
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I went ahead and disrupted everyone's lives anyway. I connected my main PC to the SH3 in modem only mode. There was a network connection, but sadly no internet connection.

Currently in router mode and having no drop outs. Going back to modem only mode shortly.
Okay, when plugging different devices in when in modem mode, you have to be careful how you do it or you won't get a valid external IP address. You absolutely definitely can't hot swap (i.e. unplug one device and plug another in while the modem is switched on) and even rebooting the modem doesn't always release the previous lease(s). The best way to get around this is to put the hub in modem mode, then power off the hub, unscrew the coax cable, then power the hub back on and wait a few mins (with the coax still removed). After about 2mins, screw the coax back in (With the hub still switched on) and give it another 2 or 3 mins. You should connect and get allocated an external IP. If it hasn't connected after 5mins, reboot once more.

There's a fair bit of ceremony to get that to work, but it's the only sure-fire way I know of to change devices when in modem mode.

Quote:
A question for you Seph. One of my main reasons for having my own router is that I can use VPN with no trouble. My expat friends use my facility so they can easily access BBC iplayer etc, plus I use it for security when out and about using public wifi. Is it possible to use my ASUS just as an AP whilst still using it as a VPN server? Presumably the IP it is allocated can be used for VPN.
You should be able to just disable DHCP on the Asus and stick it in the DMZ, more or less the same result as modem mode, just the superhub is allocating IP addresses (which means you can't assign DNS, IP's, etc. or anything easily). The VPN should work the same.

Note that your external IP address will be different when in router mode and whenever you plug a different device in when in modem mode.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote