Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 12-02-2013, 17:50   #3376
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Mine hasn't been too bad since network maintenance on the 4th though I wish the minimum latency was a smooth as it was before they added bonded upstreams in December.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2013, 18:00   #3377
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

The fact your minimum latency changes so often indicatea a fault of some kind imo
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:16   #3378
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

it'll probably start to rise. keep an eye on it. something similar to mine...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12...s-page-21.html
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 19:32   #3379
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
The fact your minimum latency changes so often indicatea a fault of some kind imo
Just about all TBB's on a dual VM upstream now show the same minimum latency variation and have done since day one of the 2nd upstream channel being added.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 19:41   #3380
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I don't agree, Kymmy. The perturbations shouldn't be happening. Many, if not most of the TBBs on 2 upstreams that I've noticed have stable minimum latency. Here's mine:

[url=http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/b5c2787efc3df8534e0ef6b85be294ab-12-02-2013.html][/url

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 19:50   #3381
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Just about all TBB's on a dual VM upstream now show the same minimum latency variation and have done since day one of the 2nd upstream channel being added.
Not something I had noticed. Good to know though.

So there can be a few ms difference between ping results depending on which of the 2 upstreams the ping reply returns on?

If this is the case, is it wrong to assume both upstreams should give the same results?

They look so different to my own connection that any variation looks 'off':

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Old 12-02-2013, 20:08   #3382
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I get the uneven minimum latency while on 2 upstream channels but only when i use the connection, when i am not online it is flat.

SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:09   #3383
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

didnt you have the rise/instability issue when you was away Snoopy
Old 12-02-2013, 20:18   #3384
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
didnt you have the rise/instability issue when you was away Snoopy
That was a different issue over Christmas, and after a modem reboot that eventually went away.

1st Jan 2013
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 20:21   #3385
thenry
Inactive

its all linked to the same issue Snoopz
Old 12-02-2013, 20:35   #3386
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
So there can be a few ms difference between ping results depending on which of the 2 upstreams the ping reply returns on?
If this is the case, is it wrong to assume both upstreams should give the same results?

Interesting point. Without double checking my DOCSIS 3 theory, my instinct tells me that the ping packet will be fragmented in both directions and thus be split across channels.

But if these 32 byte packets go down on channel and randomly move to the other, then my instinct suggests that different latencies wouuld account for those perturbations.

A brainio that knows more on this subject would be helpful here.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 21:20   #3387
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

You know more than me in this area but my train of thought is first surprise that packets of that size would get fragmented across two channels, and secondly that even if they returned on different upstreams/different frequencies, the difference in times should be less than a millisecond unless one of the channels is close to capacity. With the fluctuations being consistent i doubt that is the case. So yeah, need someone who actually knows rather than our guesses.
Old 12-02-2013, 22:45   #3388
Simm
Inactive

Simm is an unknown quantity at this point

Any comments would be appreciated on what my graph is saying

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Simm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:18   #3389
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

It's saying you have a connection problem.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:23   #3390
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simm View Post
Any comments would be appreciated on what my graph is saying

Interesting that your minimum and average latency don't increase, even when you have the packet loss. That suggests that you instantly lose your connection every time this happens.

Might be indicative of an iffy amplifier in the area?