Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 19-01-2017, 14:03   #61
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
There is no reason it shouldn't work on the 2.4ghz setting. In fact I've had it working while connected to 2.4ghz.
It depends on signal attenuation, interference and contention. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. In fact it might not always work for you - it worked for OLD BOY initially.

There are good reasons that VM mandate only one V6 on Wi-Fi (and preferably using 5GHz).
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-01-2017, 14:15   #62
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You say that, Mythica, but you are having problems, and VM say it should be 5g.

Certainly, it can work on 2.4 - on two occasions before my router was altered, I managed to get into my other box. However it was unreliable. Now I'm on 5G, the problem I had before has disappeared.

I am not sure why you are wedded to the idea that 2.4 is best, but I'm willing to wager that until you relent on that view, you will continue to experience problems.
I've had problems when I switched to both being on 5Ghz too, I've had to reboot everything now I have to see if all works after a few days. While both were on 5Ghz network one box was throwing up the V401 error while the other box was able to watch the recordings. Virgin Media say a lot of things, it doesn't make them true. If it should be 5Ghz then there should be no option to allow streaming or connection of 2.4Ghz.

I never said 2.4Ghz was the best I said there should be no reason why it shouldn't work on 2.4Ghz. I've basically had everything set to auto in the options of the Hub 3 and both V6 boxes were connecting to 2.4Ghz and to a point were working. It will take a few days to see if connecting them at 5Ghz fixes the issues but like I've said I've already had a error with this setup.

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It depends on signal attenuation, interference and contention. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it'll work for everyone. In fact it might not always work for you - it worked for OLD BOY initially.

There are good reasons that VM mandate only one V6 on Wi-Fi (and preferably using 5GHz).
I don't subscribe to this idea that only one V6 on WiFi should be used. I've had almost zero issues with Netflix and YouTube streaming over the Smart TV and phones in the house. I've had zero issues with accessing recordings from TV anywhere from both V6 boxes on the phone over WiFi. Speed tests on WiFi from the phone in the same room give 150Mb+ and there is a very strong signal from the WiFi on the phone downstairs to the Hub 3 upstairs.

I think it's to easy to just say WiFi is the issue when I've basically had zero issues over WiFi for years.

Just to add I didn't say it should work for everyone. I just take issue when people are saying it needs to connect at 5Ghz when as far as I'm aware Virgin Media have not quoted this officially plus it allows and works at 2.4Ghz.

Last edited by Mythica; 19-01-2017 at 14:18.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 14:20   #63
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post

I never said 2.4Ghz was the best I said there should be no reason why it shouldn't work on 2.4Ghz.
Sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent your views, Mythica. I had already amended my post when I read your response.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 14:45   #64
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to misrepresent your views, Mythica. I had already amended my post when I read your response.
Don't worry I'm more just frustrated in the issues I've had in trying to get the boxes to stay connected.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 16:10   #65
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I always wait when new products first come out Richard, especially things like STB's or anything high tech, there always seems to be problems with software glitches etc, it does seem ridiculous that they have released this box and people like yourself are having to contend with rebooting etc, just not good enough imo, I hope you get things sorted though..
Thanks.

Quote:
Wouldn't a temporary fix not be to stop putting your boxes into standby? I leave mine on all the time and have no problems.
That's what I've been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
A Dodgy V6 is better than a good Tivo
True, the TiVo became unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Its interesting that Richard has had problems with both Tivo and the V6. I'm not saying this is the case, but does the problem come from elsewhere, i.e. VM's network to his premises or ancillary equipment connected? With such problems, it's worth looking at all aspects. HDMI handshakes often cause problems.
SP said that it might be a compatibility issue with my TV (Samsung).

It happened again yesterday. First there's a burst of audible white noise, then the sound that it emits when using the remote control stops, then the commands made by using the remote are only roughly carried out eg going further when tabbing down and behaving as though you've pressed enter on something that you don't want. It also runs slower with some purple circling similar to the old TiVo, so whatever it's doing must be using CPU resources.

VM could have commissioned this box much earlier to allow for more testing and for it to be made available much earlier.

Perhaps they were waiting to see what Sky did first??
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 17:14   #66
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

SP said that it might be a compatibility issue with my TV (Samsung).

It happened again yesterday. First there's a burst of audible white noise, then the sound that it emits when using the remote control stops, then the commands made by using the remote are only roughly carried out eg going further when tabbing down and behaving as though you've pressed enter on something that you don't want. It also runs slower with some purple circling similar to the old TiVo, so whatever it's doing must be using CPU resources.

VM could have commissioned this box much earlier to allow for more testing and for it to be made available much earlier.

Perhaps they were waiting to see what Sky did first??

There are some basic things that you can do (standard first step recommendations for any situation like this).

Try a new HDMI lead (not an expensive one, but not a cheap one, or one that you know works from another connected device).
Try a different HDMI inputs to your TV.
Check that the firmware is up to date on your TV.

That should rule out most potential TV side problems.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 17:52   #67
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I'd add to that, check to see that you have no other equipment nearby that could be affecting performance of the v6.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 16:51   #68
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

My V6 just crashed when the 4-hour "Power Save" kicked in (I'd been listening to the radio all day). Took a hard reboot to restart it. Power Save now disabled in Settings
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 23:57   #69
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

One of my V6 boxes starts with a green background screen when I press home (rather than black) most days. Recordings and live programmes have an unwatchable green tinge when this happens.

Only way to resolve this is to reboot the box - not acceptable when recording anything.

My other box does not have this splendid feature.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 09:55   #70
daz100
Inactive

daz100 is an unknown quantity at this point

My box would not display any channels this morning. Stated on all channels that they were off air.

I had to reset to fix it but recording were a blank screen.
daz100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:04   #71
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
My other box does not have this splendid feature.
It's probably a compatibility problem with the TV rather than the box itself. Check the TV firmware is up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daz100 View Post
My box would not display any channels this morning. Stated on all channels that they were off air.
Do you have power saving enabled? If so, switch it off.

Last edited by spiderplant; 21-01-2017 at 11:37.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 11:17   #72
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
All things are thoroughly tested be it Virgin , Sky or other suppliers but that will never get rid of all the bugs as even now you can get the occasional bug years after a box is released nationwide.
That's not what you said about Sky Q apparently according to you its problems were caused by Sky releasing it to early. Now a month on or so since launch of the V6 we are seeing varying problems reported what's the difference ?
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 13:53   #73
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Hello. As per my other posts, overall really pleased with my V6 boxes... However, I have had to do a hard reset a few times now where it either stopped responding to the remote or would not switch on. I assume these are known issues?
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 14:06   #74
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
That's not what you said about Sky Q apparently according to you its problems were caused by Sky releasing it to early. Now a month on or so since launch of the V6 we are seeing varying problems reported what's the difference ?
Sky did release it too early IMO and l stand by that and as for the V6 well we shall see MM.
Old 21-01-2017, 14:44   #75
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Sky did release it too early IMO and l stand by that and as for the V6 well we shall see MM.
So when another provider releases a box and problems are reported they've rushed it out , but when VM release their new box and problems are reported its to be expected as all new things have bugs.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote