Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 11-11-2016, 15:47   #1126
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Agreed, also the demonstrations would take a long time as well so fewer installs in a day
That's a good point actually as existing customers will be self install.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2016, 19:03   #1127
Andy C
cf.addict

Services: V6 Virgin 360, Volt Gig1 BB,
Andy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really niceAndy C is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you are happy to pay a price increase for an inferior box, that's your prerogative.

If you choose to do this, you shouldn't "whine" or "moan" about it on here, but do something about it as I did.
The main point of the post was that they are being carried in other areas by the engineers, even tho he hadn't installed any yet.

I have tried doing something as I didn't want to loose recordings again in a month or two. Basically got passed around every department and got nowhere. Any point of contact would be gratefully received

A.
Andy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 20:33   #1128
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

With the Formula 1 contract with Sky a few years away i think Sky will be hard to get it back with Liberty Media buying the Formula 1 out i think we should get 4k soon i hope
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 21:04   #1129
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
The main point of the post was that they are being carried in other areas by the engineers, even tho he hadn't installed any yet.

I have tried doing something as I didn't want to loose recordings again in a month or two. Basically got passed around every department and got nowhere. Any point of contact would be gratefully received

A.
Thanks for explaining.

I can 100% understand where you're coming from.

The first time I rang retentions they went down the route of trying to say that my box was slow due to a fault and they'd send an engineer out.

My belief that this was a waste of time because the fault lies in the inability of the box to run the software has been confirmed on here by VM engineers.

All that they can do is swap the box, which runs fine for a short time, before you're back to square one again.

As at that point I was going to insist on a V6 and if it wasn't forthcoming then I'd be leaving, it just seemed a waste of everyone's time, with the only outcome being that i'd lose all my recordings even earlier.

I rang to say that I wanted to cancel and was met with utter indifference, so escelated the matter via an old university friend who is a manager at VM.

I realise that this option isn't open to everyone and really do sympathise with those stuck with a slow box.

All I can suggest is if you're out of contract (or are able to get out of it due to the price rise) tell them that you'll leave unless you get a new box (I was fortunate in having the added leverage of many non domestic VM accounts that I was able to use to my advantage during negotiations).

As we now know that the new box definitely comes out on 1 December, it might be easier to just hang on for a little longer.

I don't know if you will be expected to pay a lump sum or an extra ongoing monthly fee, but I wasn't, but that might have been done to appease me.

If VM are giving these out for nothing to all their existing customers, this will steal a march over Sky.

I also think it's the least they can do to apologise for the service that their customers have had to put up with.

*Before anyone accuses me of making this thread about me again, I am merely responding to another persons post/questions as has previously been the case.

When my new box arrives, I will be more than happy to answer any questions about it that I can.

I won't be able to answer anything about its 4K abilities though, as I don't have this service
Old 12-11-2016, 12:54   #1130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I've just had my box swapped out due to a faulty hard drive meaning all my recordings were unwatchable. The engineer said he had V6 boxes in the van but hadn't had a job yet. He echoed what's been said here that they're only going to select new customers as part of a pilot (unless you whine and moan it seems).

Slightly gutting when he had them yet I'm going to loose all my recordings yet again when I can get the V6 hopefully in a month or two.

-A.
I agree. My box is on its last legs now. It has frozen in the middle of a programme I recorded on two recent occasions. Each time, the box started a re-boot, failed within seconds, started again, failed and so on in a loop it could not seem to escape. Unplugging it for a couple of minutes sorted it out, but sooner or later it will pack up. For this reason, I am banking on the new boxes being available to all of us on 1 December.

I am inquiring on Monday whether I can book a new box for December, but I think I know what the answer will be. That is, that I will have to wait until the launch before placing a booking. I hope I'm wrong.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 14:25   #1131
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I agree. My box is on its last legs now. It has frozen in the middle of a programme I recorded on two recent occasions. Each time, the box started a re-boot, failed within seconds, started again, failed and so on in a loop it could not seem to escape. Unplugging it for a couple of minutes sorted it out, but sooner or later it will pack up. For this reason, I am banking on the new boxes being available to all of us on 1 December.

I am inquiring on Monday whether I can book a new box for December, but I think I know what the answer will be. That is, that I will have to wait until the launch before placing a booking. I hope I'm wrong.
Perhaps, even on 1 December, it will be released for new customers only, for the reasons given below by PB? New customers are more likely to cancel during the cooling off period if their box is slow (although mine was fine for the first month or so).

It doesn't look good on VM if the box starts performing badly just after the expiration of the cooling off period though.

If this turns out to be the case, you'd face the problem of losing your recordings on the failed box and face the prospect of losing them again from your replacement if you upgraded to a V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Commercially, that makes sense, given that new customers, receiving an old slow box could cancel. The slowness would cause an instant bad impression, and Tivo's features would be less obvious.
All the benefits of PVR's were explained, but the downsides were never mentioned. A VCR could break down, be changed to another rental company, you could unsubscribe from a channel that you have recordings from etc and you'd still have all of your tapes.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-11-2016 at 14:30.
Old 12-11-2016, 14:40   #1132
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
With the Formula 1 contract with Sky a few years away i think Sky will be hard to get it back with Liberty Media buying the Formula 1 out i think we should get 4k soon i hope
LGI and Liberty Media are separate companies so F1 will have to sell it to the best bidder which at the moment seems to be the highest bidder. But F1 could put stipulations into the contract to ensure wider distribution of 4K on all platforms.

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I would kick up a fuss if I were you. I'm sure the box will be for new customers at the start but you can always say you'll write to consumers' champions at the newspapers etc.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 14:42   #1133
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

On the other hand existing customers seeing new customers getting the new box and not them be so hacked off they cancel and go to sky!

Last edited by telegramsam; 12-11-2016 at 14:47. Reason: error
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 14:55   #1134
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
On the other hand existing customers seeing new customers getting the new box and not them be so hacked off they cancel and go to sky!
True, especially as so many have supported the company for years.
Old 12-11-2016, 14:56   #1135
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Except most of us have conveniently just signed up to a new contract after the recent price rises
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 15:16   #1136
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Except most of us have conveniently just signed up to a new contract after the recent price rises
If you mean as part of retention deals, this is why I have refused to accept a new contract until I have a working V6 in my possession
Old 12-11-2016, 16:15   #1137
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If you mean as part of retention deals, this is why I have refused to accept a new contract until I have a working V6 in my possession

To be fair, you have management contacts, which helped you to get the arrangement that you did. And there's nothing wrong at all in using that contact to your advantage. Other people will not have that advantage and it could be difficult for them to achieve the same result.

Here's a thought; without that contact, you may have been heading for Sky now!
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 16:25   #1138
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
To be fair, you have management contacts, which helped you to get the arrangement that you did. And there's nothing wrong at all in using that contact to your advantage. Other people will not have that advantage and it could be difficult for them to achieve the same result.

Here's a thought; without that contact, you may have been heading for Sky now!
Yes, that had crossed my mind. VM are going to find it difficult until they accept that the 'customer is king'.

Might be worth you trying it though, you've got nothing to lose

Everytime a Sky Q box is powered up, perhaps the severed cable connection sheds a tear. Maybe this is why they are now sending out caps for former customers to fit

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-11-2016 at 16:29.
Old 13-11-2016, 00:48   #1139
OhReally

Quote:
Not all of us, cancelled TV & Phone, gone to Freeview
Old 13-11-2016, 09:32   #1140
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Well there is that,although a sales rep from bt recently told me they (bt) have a scheme were they buy up your existing contract from your current provided when you sign up to them. Don't know if sky have a similar scheme or not? If they do as I said existing virgin customers may go over to sky.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote