Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 16:23   #3691
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

I've only ever bought boxes that came with vouchers from Argos before which didn't need activating however when I bought the vouchers from other stores they always came with two receipts one for the sale and one to prove the voucher has been activated after the staff run it through the card machine.

I have fallen foul of non activated vouchers in the past when I've bought them from Amazon, for this reason I never buy Now TV vouchers from them anymore, not one was activated and whilst I got refunds ok the staff had no idea what I was talking about.
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2017, 18:03   #3692
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've never bought one that was activated and never ever had a problem.
Old 12-09-2017, 22:17   #3693
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Ginxesport has been added to tvplayer plus.
Old 14-09-2017, 10:09   #3694
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

The new Amazon FireTV coming out later this year or next sounds interesting.

TLDR :

Built in IR emitter to control things like your TV
Proper alexa integration with mic and speakers meaning you won't need to use the remote, makes having a DOT surplus
Likely higher spec hardware

Quote:
The new flagship Fire TV model is the unreleased “AFTA” device that surfaced for the first time last week. Without the luxury of a leaked benchmark, I don’t know anything about its technical specifications, but I have learned that it essentially combines the functionality of a Fire TV, an Echo Dot, and an IR emitter, like the Harmony Hub, into a single device.

The cube-shaped Fire TV has a series of holes on top to accommodate its array of far-field microphones that allow you to talk to Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant without needing to use the voice remote, although one is still included. A speaker built into the Fire TV allows you to hear responses from Alexa if your television is turned off. It is likely that this new top-tier Fire TV model will have additional ports and functionality not found on the new mid-tier model, like Ethernet and expandable storage, but details are unknown.

On top of the device are the exact same buttons found on the Echo Dot. A pair of volume buttons control the built-in speaker, a mute button allows you to disable the microphones, and an action button lets you manually trigger Alexa. The device also includes a familiar blue LED light bar that is common to all of Amazon’s Alexa devices.

Amazon recently made it possible to control their existing Fire TV devices using an external Alexa device, like the Amazon Echo or Echo Dot. With the inclusion of far-field microphones directly in the new Fire TV, an external Alexa device will no longer be necessary to achieve hands-free voice control of your television.

Much like existing Fire TV models, the new Fire TVs will be able to turn on and control newer televisions that support the HDMI-CEC standard. However, most TVs in people’s homes don’t support the standard and those that do often have limited functionality. That is why Amazon is also including an IR emitter in the new flagship Fire TV, which should give it the ability to control the vast majority of televisions and A/V equipment.

With its built-in IR capabilities, the new flagship Fire TV will give most people hands-free voice control of their existing television and media center, without needing any additional equipment. Thanks to Alexa’s newly added entertainment capabilities, you can expect to be able to turn your TV on and off, control the volume, change inputs, and more without needing to pick up a remote for certain tasks.
http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-th...eased-in-2017/
Old 14-09-2017, 17:07   #3695
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
The new Amazon FireTV coming out later this year or next sounds interesting.

TLDR :

Built in IR emitter to control things like your TV
Proper alexa integration with mic and speakers meaning you won't need to use the remote, makes having a DOT surplus
Likely higher spec hardware

http://www.aftvnews.com/exclusive-th...eased-in-2017/
That sounds very interesting, if it can be paired with my Bluetooth speakers for when the TV and amp are off I might be replacing my current Fire TV and Echo Dot setup with one.
Old 15-09-2017, 15:12   #3696
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Ginxesport has been added to tvplayer plus.
TV Player Plus has now been added to Freesat. I never knew they had so many restrictions:

https://tvplayer.com/channel-availab...content=473347

I wonder why this is??
Old 15-09-2017, 15:23   #3697
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you notice, there are quite a few platforms which share the same channel availability.

For instance Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Windows 10, Xbox One, Roku are all 'missing' the same channels.
Old 15-09-2017, 18:30   #3698
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I have just stumbled across this article from last March, which appears to suggest that John Malone is indeed open to Amazon appearing on Liberty Global and Virgin Media boxes, which is a relief to me.

There does appear to be some problem of alignment that needs to be ironed out first, but it's good to know that Amazon and other streaming services could appear on our Tivos in the future.

Let's hope it's the near future and not 'coming soon' in the VM sense (visions of long grass come to mind!).

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bau...ble-box/411439
Old 15-09-2017, 18:37   #3699
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I have just stumbled across this article from last March, which appears to suggest that John Malone is indeed open to Amazon appearing on Liberty Global and Virgin Media boxes, which is a relief to me.

There does appear to be some problem of alignment that needs to be ironed out first, but it's good to know that Amazon and other streaming services could appear on our Tivos in the future.

Let's hope it's the near future and not 'coming soon' in the VM sense (visions of long grass come to mind!).

http://www.multichannel.com/blog/bau...ble-box/411439
Eternal optimism knows no ends OB.
Old 15-09-2017, 18:44   #3700
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Eternal optimism knows no ends OB.
You ol' party pooper, Den!
Old 15-09-2017, 18:45   #3701
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

There are a lot of TV's with the Amazon app already available, I have Netflix and Amazon apps on my smart TV, and they
are really quick to open.
Old 15-09-2017, 18:50   #3702
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
There are a lot of TV's with the Amazon app already available, I have Netflix and Amazon apps on my smart TV, and they
The LG smart TV'S have all 3 including Now TV as well.
Old 15-09-2017, 19:33   #3703
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I know, and I am reasonably confident now that VM will also get it in the end. I just wish we were not always at the back of the queue.
Old 16-09-2017, 00:23   #3704
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
TV Player Plus has now been added to Freesat. I never knew they had so many restrictions:

https://tvplayer.com/channel-availab...content=473347

I wonder why this is??
That's good news. Makes Freesat a more appealing alternative. All the main catch up apps from BBC, ITV etc... plus YouTube, Netflix and now TV Player.

If SKY becomes too expensive I'd seriously consider switching. Just had a swizz through my SKY planner. All recordings are from either Freeview or channels covered by TV Player.
Old 16-09-2017, 01:13   #3705
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
That's good news. Makes Freesat a more appealing alternative. All the main catch up apps from BBC, ITV etc... plus YouTube, Netflix and now TV Player.

If SKY becomes too expensive I'd seriously consider switching. Just had a swizz through my SKY planner. All recordings are from either Freeview or channels covered by TV Player.
Competition at work. Take note, Den.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I've just compared the same movie across LF , Netflix and Now TV on a PS3 and the difference was unbelievable , Netflix easily produced the best PQ by a country mile , I would say Now TV shaded it in second over LF.
Which puts paid to those who shun Now TV on grounds of picture quality!
Closed Thread