Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 19:38   #2206
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think you know what l mean Old Boy.
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2015, 19:21   #2207
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Finally a box that supports Netflix, Now TV and Amazon not to mention catch up TV for the main terrestrial channels. Let the cord cutting commence
But I think "cord cutting" is a misnomer. You still need a "cord", aka broadband to get streaming services.

If anything will be "cut" in the future, it will be the likes of Netflix, Amazon et all...

The last time I checked Netflix/Amazon etc don't own any cablecos, satellite tv cos, broadband ISPs. I don't think their position is as strong as everyone hypes them up to be.
Old 15-11-2015, 20:47   #2208
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

http://m.groupon.co.uk/deals/bt-sport

Half price BT Sport in HD & no activation fee.
Old 15-11-2015, 21:06   #2209
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But I think "cord cutting" is a misnomer. You still need a "cord", aka broadband to get streaming services.
What about a 4G dongle?
Old 15-11-2015, 21:08   #2210
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm sure they've done the math,
I think the maths went something like no Amazon Prime on Roku=no sales via Amazon.
Old 15-11-2015, 21:53   #2211
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:

If anything will be "cut" in the future, it will be the likes of Netflix, Amazon et all...

The last time I checked Netflix/Amazon etc don't own any cablecos, satellite tv cos, broadband ISPs. I don't think their position is as strong as everyone hypes them up to be.
Of course your right, for the vast majority there will still be a cord of sorts involved to deliver their broadband to allow them to stream video. I think most people use the term "cord cutting" to describe the act of moving away from cable and satellite TV. It's one of these hip urban dictionary type terms used by teens and adults in their late 20's. I'm 36 and should be ashamed of myself using such terminology
Old 15-11-2015, 22:27   #2212
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's one of these hip urban dictionary type terms used by teens and adults in their late 20's. I'm 36 and should be ashamed of myself using such terminology
I think it originated in the US and I suspect was coined by an older age group than you suggest.

Given that it actually does refer to cutting the cord from traditional yearly pay TV subscriptions, proportionately few in their teens and even late twenties will have had those subscriptions.

Therefore no need to feel ashamed
Old 16-11-2015, 17:03   #2213
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
What about a 4G dongle?
There still needs to be a network for any wireless device to connect to. So, although no "cord", it ain't cord-less either. (excuse the pun)

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

Quote:
Of course your right, for the vast majority there will still be a cord of sorts involved to deliver their broadband to allow them to stream video. I think most people use the term "cord cutting" to describe the act of moving away from cable and satellite TV. It's one of these hip urban dictionary type terms used by teens and adults in their late 20's. I'm 36 and should be ashamed of myself using such terminology
With the imminent price rises, I'm thinking of cord cutting too, so I have no problem with the term and I'm older than you.

But, clearly there is a technological change underway. TV was delivered one way for generations (over the air using tv aerials), then Murdoch came along and changed that and with the advent of fast internet, it's changing again. But, I do not think traditional tv will die and even if it does, there still needs to be a company that provides internet access which Netflix, Amazon do not.

I just think we're hearing a lot about Netflix/Amazon/Hulu etc now, but I question whether they will still be around in ten years especially if the likes of Time Warner, Disney, Fox, AT&T, Comcast etc all launch their own versions of Netflix to prevent cord cutting from their own channels/networks.

Time Warner is already making grumbling noises about providing content to Netflix which is in direct competition to its own HBO channel. Others will start grumbling too soon...
Old 16-11-2015, 17:16   #2214
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There still needs to be a network for any wireless device to connect to. So, although no "cord", it ain't cord-less either. (excuse the pun)

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:52 ----------

With the imminent price rises, I'm thinking of cord cutting too, so I have no problem with the term and I'm older than you.

But, clearly there is a technological change underway. TV was delivered one way for generations (over the air using tv aerials), then Murdoch came along and changed that and with the advent of fast internet, it's changing again. But, I do not think traditional tv will die and even if it does, there still needs to be a company that provides internet access which Netflix, Amazon do not.

I just think we're hearing a lot about Netflix/Amazon/Hulu etc now, but I question whether they will still be around in ten years especially if the likes of Time Warner, Disney, Fox, AT&T, Comcast etc all launch their own versions of Netflix to prevent cord cutting from their own channels/networks.

Time Warner is already making grumbling noises about providing content to Netflix which is in direct competition to its own HBO channel. Others will start grumbling too soon...
Personal opinion of course but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Netflix get snapped up in the future , Apple have long mooted a video streaming service , in Netflix they already have a service with a huge footprint and probably the best streaming experience in the market.
Old 17-11-2015, 20:01   #2215
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:

The networks will fail, they will try and impalement old business practices in the new world and they don't seem to realise it is not just the content but the way netflix delivers content. Plus Netflix has shown that they can produce original shows that are as good as the best out there while the networks continue to water down their shows, make them more tweeny and go after the cheap reality market.
Old 17-11-2015, 20:44   #2216
Horizon
Media Watcher

The problem with the US networks is the amount of adverts. A programme starts, then it goes into adverts within a few minutes of the show starting, then the opening credits start when the first batch of ads end - crazy!

As an addendum to my earlier post, US cableco Charter Communications (controlled by John Malone) is trialling a streaming service and Time Warner has taken a stake in Hulu.

So the US cablecos are getting into the streaming game after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Personal opinion of course but I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Netflix get snapped up in the future , Apple have long mooted a video streaming service , in Netflix they already have a service with a huge footprint and probably the best streaming experience in the market.
All the people in the "know" are buying shares in Netflix, so you may be right. A bunfight may be coming about who gets to snap up Netflix first.
Old 17-11-2015, 21:45   #2217
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
The problem with the US networks is the amount of adverts. A programme starts, then it goes into adverts within a few minutes of the show starting, then the opening credits start when the first batch of ads end - crazy!

There are more adverts in the US... but they are shorter. The UK has less adverts, but each block lasts longer.

With regards to total timing, there is no difference between watching a US show in the US or the UK. They both run on hourly schedules and the total show run time of a US 'hour long show' is around 42 minutes.
Old 18-11-2015, 10:01   #2218
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

Although US broadcasters are now cutting the amount of advertising in order to better compete with the streaming services.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/viac...ts-1201598646/
Old 18-11-2015, 10:38   #2219
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Pretty sure Sky used to follow that model at one point years ago. Have a vague memory of watching Star Trek where they used to show the teaser, then the title and then immediately go for a break.
Old 18-11-2015, 11:44   #2220
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

That was probably before (mostly) EU legislation came in revising how advertising could be included in programmes and setting new limits.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bro...de/ad-minutage
http://ec.europa.eu/archives/informa...p/index_en.htm
Closed Thread