Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Orange iphone unlock for £20

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

EE, by 'eck!

Old 03-10-2012, 09:21   #1
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
EE, by 'eck!

Rebranding of Orange and T-Mobile continues today with the replacement of the old brand names on phone screens ... A quick re-start of my phone this morning and Orange has gone, replaced by EE.

Just realised that this is the first time since I bought my first mobile in late 1995 that I have had anything other than Orange ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2012, 15:36   #2
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: EE, by 'eck!

So far, the one Orange SIM and one T-Mobile SIM roaming on Orange that I have tried are still showing Orange.

I expect that this is because of one or more of the following:-

• Age of SIM card: network id. may be set in silicon based on MCC-MNC
  • Model of phone: network id. may be set in firmware based on MCC-MNC
  • Cell site being used: network id. may be set in software awaiting update
  • Whether it's a 2G/2.5G or a 3G connection: only 3G infrastructure may be have been updated
I have one new Tesco Mobile SIM in a new Nokia C1-01 that comes up as Tesco Mobile briefly but then reverts to displaying O2. I also have an old T-Mobile SIM in an old Nokia 7110 which comes up as one2one but the same SIM displays T-Mobile in newer phones. Actually, it always comes up as Orange these days when I'm at home.

I've even had networks come up as just the MCC-MNC digits, especially when roaming abroad.

I haven't tried every combination of my SIMs and phones for a while but I know from past experience that behaviour varies a lot.

Anyway, EE may be a poor choice for the network name because of the way it's displayed on some phones. It may be hard to distinguish the network name from some other icons and symbols such as the E for an EDGE/EGPRS connection.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felim_Doyle View Post
Actually, it always comes up as Orange these days when I'm at home.
Oh, typical! I'm getting a 3/5 signal on T-Mobile now at home whereas it had been showing Orange all day!
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 16:18   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: EE, by 'eck!

I have a six-year-old PAYG Orange SIM in a never-locked Nokia 1600. They sent me a text this morning advising me that the change would occur on my next re-start. Have you had the text as well? I'm wondering if they're phasing it in.
Old 03-10-2012, 16:20   #4
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My old iPhone 3G switched today.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:25   #5
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: EE, by 'eck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I have a six-year-old PAYG Orange SIM in a never-locked Nokia 1600. They sent me a text this morning advising me that the change would occur on my next re-start. Have you had the text as well? I'm wondering if they're phasing it in.
That's likely to be a SIM update then.

No, I haven't had the text yet nor, AFAIK, has my wife whose primary mobile number is with Orange.

EE, by 'eck! That'll keep the Orange and T-Mobile networks busy updating everyone's SIMs by service text message and could take some time to roll out!

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:47 ----------

BTW, I bought my wife's original Nokia Orange (Nokia 2140) for her at Christmas in 1995. She has upgraded her phone a couple of times since and roamed with it extensively abroad as well as more recently on T-Mobile in the UK so it won't be as big a change for her.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Felim_Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 17:45   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Heh, I threw out my Nokia Orange not that long ago. I thought it was so compact and stylish at the time. The Orange network was so patchy in places back then that you had to leave it near a window with the aerial extended if you wanted to make sure it would receive incoming calls.
Old 03-10-2012, 22:50   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I got a text message saying about EE and 4G and sigh up to find out etc and gave an web address now is it from them or a con?

http://m.ee.co.uk
Old 04-10-2012, 18:36   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

My Blackberry changed a couple of days ago. Though I am wondering, what about 4G? Would I need a new contract for that?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 18:40   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
My Blackberry changed a couple of days ago. Though I am wondering, what about 4G? Would I need a new contract for that?
Yes, you are almost certainly going to need a new contract for 4G, just as all the 3G services were on new contracts when they were launched.
Old 05-10-2012, 19:34   #10
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Ill wait for my current contract to expire then
Old 05-10-2012, 20:11   #11
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

You won't just need a new contract but a totally new phone. 4G isn't available on current phones. It's has to be a special 4G LTE enabled model. Ie iPhone 5 a new LTE version of the s3 and the new Lumia 920.
Old 05-10-2012, 21:39   #12
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Im probably going to get a new phone on my next upgrade anyway
Old 05-10-2012, 21:45   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Upgrade ... Roffles. I've had the same handset for six years. There's dust under the screen and scratches on top of it. In bright sunlight I can't even read the thing. But I'm not going to replace it until I've found one sufficiently cheap and basic.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:17   #14
Vieil Homme
Inactive

Vieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud ofVieil Homme has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Mine changed after update to OS 6 this was on day one of the update and ever since they have been sending me texts say mine will change on the next re-start. Personally it looks strange looks like a sight test

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
Vieil Homme is offline   Reply With Quote