Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

BT Infinity installed

Old 19-12-2011, 20:53   #16
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: BT Infinity installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Bt gets free caller ID free calls to 0845 and no superhub!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
True, but i wouldnt say the Home hub is any better.

My upload speed has increased now to above 6Mb... progress.

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:44 ----------

Uploading at 730KB/s on utorrent
dont forget on infinity you can use whatever equipment you want, change the homehub, change the modem, complete control over it, better up/down speed ratio, lower ping, pretty much no jitter, so priced at the same as VMs 30mb, the BT option is rather a lot better!!
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2011, 20:55   #17
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

This will be why virgin are looking at the tiers of service
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 21:33   #18
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
dont forget on infinity you can use whatever equipment you want, change the homehub, change the modem, complete control over it, better up/down speed ratio, lower ping, pretty much no jitter, so priced at the same as VMs 30mb, the BT option is rather a lot better!!
You can, with the super hub in modem mode.
Old 19-12-2011, 22:27   #19
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

BT have also significantly improved their profile system so the throughput matches the line speed much closer at all times.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 14:36   #20
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, your line doesn't settle like it used too on ADSL, what you get now is what you get period.

Not that there's anything wrong with your throughput.

I'm toying with giving BT Infinity a go, but it's just there bad rep for poor customer service that's putting me off.
I want unlimited anytime calls,BT line rental and BT infinity top pack and BT Vision Gold pack for about £30. They won't do it, they won't get my custom, it is unreasonable for the price they are asking for considering BT Vision is freeview,BT Infinity goes as high as 13mb around here and voip like vonage give you better value.

BT are too behind to offer that kind of value because the state of its network is outdated and the upgrade to fibre should have been done by 2005 latest, in fact they should be able to provide a full Cable IPTV service down it by now, but no its way to behind! Too busy funneling money into BT Cellnet and BT 3G in the late 90's as well as well as its overseas subsidiaries.

Not only that, the government should never have given cable companies licences to run telephone services, financially it has put BT far behind. What they should have done was to let BT and the cable companies to operate together similar but not as bad as how Virgin Media and BT operate the Milton Keynes and Westminster cable TV franchise. That way both parties would be able to compete with the likes of Sky as well as invest in better internet products and network development.
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 14:53   #21
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze age
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

If anyone knows, as i've tried looking. Is there anyway to check which maximum speed im being allowed to get to? i know on Sky you can log in and check.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:03   #22
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=29017

scroll down to Check if you can get BT Infinity theres 2 ways of doing it. try them both. customer and non customer.

I'm being quoted 27.7Mb download - 10.0Mb upload
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:09   #23
Zee
Inactive

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, BT Talk Unlimited, Three PAYG, Giffgaff PAYG, Sky TV Entertainment Package
Zee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze ageZee has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
http://www.productsandservices.bt.co...?topicId=29017

scroll down to Check if you can get BT Infinity theres 2 ways of doing it. try them both. customer and non customer.

I'm being quoted 27.7Mb download - 10.0Mb upload
No, for example like on sky when you login to the router, it tells you the exact speed that your upload and download has been capped at, not the predicted line speeds.
Old 20-12-2011, 15:13   #24
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

don't know man sorry
Old 20-12-2011, 15:17   #25
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
don't know man sorry
thanks anyway
Old 20-12-2011, 15:27   #26
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Can you not login to the BT router, like you can with the Sky router's.

I would imagine the login details would be on a sticker underneath the home hub somewhere.

I don't really know as I've never used one I'm afraid
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 15:29   #27
thenry
Inactive

the login ID password etc. is within some pull out thing, top rear of the router I tihnk
Old 20-12-2011, 15:30   #28
Zee
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabscars View Post
Can you not login to the BT router, like you can with the Sky router's.

I would imagine the login details would be on a sticker underneath the home hub somewhere.

I don't really know as I've never used one I'm afraid
yeah i can, but i have looked there and cant seem to find it, maybe im not looking in the right place.
Old 20-12-2011, 15:33   #29
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
yeah i can, but i have looked there and cant seem to find it, maybe im not looking in the right place.
Sorry I can't help you there, hopefully some one will reply with the necessary info
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2011, 19:03   #30
Zee
Inactive

So after 1 day of testing, here is what i think so far... and im comparing this to my VM 30Mb connection.

Page loading is a lot more responsive and noticeably sharper. Streaming is much more smooth, no buffering at all on 4od or iplayer, and 1080p HD videos on youtube load fully within about a minute. great speeds on bittorrent, and im able to upload at around 760KB/s which is the highest i've seen so far. i've noticed ping is lower usually on BT too.

Overall from this experience so far i'd recommend BT Infinity over VM 30Mb.

This is my result from BT infinity wireless

This is my respect from VM 30Mb wired

I'd also like to point out that i get a very slight increase on speed on BT if i connect to wired, goes to around 31Mb/s also.