Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29-05-2008, 22:25   #7531
G UK
cf.addict

Services: TIVO, XL TV, XL BB, M Phone
G UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of QuadsG UK has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
ok first press release on the demo has just been sent out. So I am moving on this. A website will be setup on www.nodpi.org in the next week which will cover the event. I am going to try and get Dr Clayton, Mr Bohm and a Non Phorm ISP representative to give guest speeches at the event. I might even see if the Earl of Northesk would be willing to come out and show support and if I can find a contact for him, Sir Tim.

Alexander Hanff
Currently trying to drum up interest and secure my own attendence to this.
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2008, 22:27   #7532
Bobcat
Inactive

Bobcat is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by serial View Post
Don't forget this:

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3629297

For the upcoming trial Adam Liversage, BT's chief press officer said:

"We won't know who any of the users are, so any feedback we receive is likely to be the customers choosing to do so through our forums,"

Note, this means anyone in or out of the trial can post feedback in the forums and BT can't distinguish.
To follow on from there, he says in the very next paragraph down,

Liversage also made it clear the tests were unrelated to customer perception. "This test is not a customer referendum," he said. "It is simply to ensure that the technology works correctly."

So if the customers are going to have nothing to do or say about the test why are they bothering to publicise it this time and how will we find out if it was successful or not? Or, as they have shown so far, they just don't care!
Old 29-05-2008, 22:27   #7533
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
somebody who lives in the real world then!

this thread seems to have lost its focus.
not so much lost focus, just one of many small diversions while we wait on the main events, its all interrelated and theres a place for everyones view here.

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/16069

http://techliberation.com/2008/05/22...-manipulation/
"Tunneling your way around ISP traffic manipulation"

http://www.vnunet.com/computing/news...es-web-4026764
"Misinformation tangles the web

The credibility of the web may suffer due to junk information
Written by Neon Kelly

Computing, 29 May 2008
The spread of false or misleading information on the internet could damage its usefulness as an information tool, according to worldwide web creator Sir Tim Berners-Lee.

Content, rather than infrastructure, will be a major hurdle for the development and use of the web, said Berners-Lee speaking at the Innovation Edge Conference in London last week. “The web works fine, but the society you get on it can be one that you like or one that you don’t,” he said.
"

the lack of high quality Anti DPI (phorm and the Phormettes ,NebuAd ,etc)Interception For Profit video Content and other PR material on the web to point to and help educate and inform the masses ATM is worrying.

this content production is something many readers here, the world over, can help re-balance if they make the time and effort.

after all, not everyones a news writer, or court records employee adept and able to look up the Public domain records of any and all the BT,Phorm related executives past US/UK records and or dealing with the court system references to find copys of this PD information

BTW, this aproach does/can have some very interesting results, as was made clear in the old Amiga court cases etc for bringing interesting facts and documents and other details to light if this aspect of the fight interests you as a reader of the thread
Old 29-05-2008, 22:28   #7534
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think we need to organise an official demo at some point over the summer, in London outside BT HQ.

Alexander Hanff

Hey we should collaborate on the timings, you stage your demo at the BT HQ while me and Stephen Mainwaring are planning to climb the BT Tower dressed as Batman and Robin.

Old 29-05-2008, 22:36   #7535
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

OK emails sent to Mr Bohm, Dr Clayton, Earl of Northesk. Also posted on the Enta forum on thinkbroadband.com

Just waiting for a PM back from someone with regards to setting up the site on nodpi.org

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 21:31 ----------

Quote:
OK emails sent to Mr Bohm, Dr Clayton, Earl of Northesk. Also posted on the Enta forum on thinkbroadband.com

Just waiting for a PM back from someone with regards to setting up the site on nodpi.org

Alexander Hanff
I have a response from a non Phorm ISP representative already expressing an interest in attending as a guest speaker. Try to keep up ;p

Alexander Hanff
Old 29-05-2008, 22:44   #7536
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
To follow on from there, he says in the very next paragraph down,

Liversage also made it clear the tests were unrelated to customer perception. "This test is not a customer referendum," he said. "It is simply to ensure that the technology works correctly."

So if the customers are going to have nothing to do or say about the test why are they bothering to publicise it this time and how will we find out if it was successful or not? Or, as they have shown so far, they just don't care!
The ICO "will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate."

Erm... so, how will the ICO be influenced if they can't ask the customers because no one knows who they are? I suppose the extremely low number of complaints because 10,000 is not many will help the ICO draw a conclusion that no one cares? Or maybe they will care enough to complain and surprise the ICO.

Hank

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Quote:

Try to keep up ;p

Alexander Hanff

Heck Alex! I haven't checked my diary yet. What was the date for the event? It's pages back I think

Hank

Old 29-05-2008, 22:45   #7537
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Sir Tim has been emailed regarding the event now too.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The ICO "will be strongly influenced by the experience of those users who choose to participate in any trials and the way in which they are able to make that decision to participate."

Erm... so, how will the ICO be influenced if they can't ask the customers because no one knows who they are? I suppose the extremely low number of complaints because 10,000 is not many will help the ICO draw a conclusion that no one cares? Or maybe they will care enough to complain and surprise the ICO.

Hank

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:40 ----------

Heck Alex! I haven't checked my diary yet. What was the date for the event? It's pages back I think

Hank
July 16th 2008

I don't mess about you know, when I am onto something I move quickly hehehe.

Alexander Hanff
Old 29-05-2008, 23:03   #7538
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I wonder if Channel 5 and in particular the Gadget show would be interested, especially after their piece on it last week.

I've also written to my MP again expressing my disgust at the governments inaction on this issue. I have also told him I have already been in touch with Mrs Reding and enclosed a copy of her mail.
Old 29-05-2008, 23:13   #7539
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
I wonder if Channel 5 and in particular the Gadget show would be interested, especially after their piece on it last week.
...And Channel 4 News as a follow up to their Emma interview... and Breakfast News as a follow up to their Emma interview? And BBC Click too maybe? Amazing how many have followed up on this story already.

Annoying that I will be nearer Aberdeen than London for the BT Group plc 2008 Annual General Meeting held at 10.30am on Wednesday 16 July at the Barbican centre,Silk Street London, EC2Y 8DS

Does anyone have a chronological unbiased list of events since this Phorm thing started? Radio 5 Live wants any ideas for business stories to report on. The fall in shares and the reasons behind it certainly make for an interesting story. Go to BBC 5 Live web page and submit on the Contact Us form there (Wake Up To Money is on Monday to Friday and us on the slot before 6am)

Hank

Old 29-05-2008, 23:18   #7540
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough
Re: BT Protest IRL

OK, I'd like to help spread the word. How about a paragraph of text people can cut and paste around the interweb?

Please include time, date, purpose, etc.
Old 29-05-2008, 23:20   #7541
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
If it helps, I had the problems, but did not click on the thumbnail, just refreshed the screen.

I don't think this is related to the temporary problem yesterday or affects anyone on this forum, but just in case it does.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Hacked-94826
Old 29-05-2008, 23:20   #7542
phormwatch
Inactive

phormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enoughphormwatch will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
...And Channel 4 News as a follow up to their Emma interview... and Breakfast News as a follow up to their Emma interview? And BBC Click too maybe? Amazing how many have followed up on this story already.

Annoying that I will be nearer Aberdeen than London for the BT Group plc 2008 Annual General Meeting held at 10.30am on Wednesday 16 July at the Barbican centre,Silk Street London, EC2Y 8DS

Hank
Ah - there we go.

One problem: 10:30am on a Wednesday is not the best time for a protest. It's fine if you want to stick to the AGM timetable, but far fewer people will show up on a weekday, especially when it's not even lunch hour. Trust me, I've been to many protests in my life. Weekday protests are always *much* smaller. Please consider this.
Old 29-05-2008, 23:35   #7543
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
Ah - there we go.

One problem: 10:30am on a Wednesday is not the best time for a protest. It's fine if you want to stick to the AGM timetable, but far fewer people will show up on a weekday, especially when it's not even lunch hour. Trust me, I've been to many protests in my life. Weekday protests are always *much* smaller. Please consider this.
The plan is to make it an all day event. We will need to get some bodies there around 10am to catch BT shareholders on the way in. I am hoping to start the speeches around lunchtime.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by phormwatch View Post
OK, I'd like to help spread the word. How about a paragraph of text people can cut and paste around the interweb?

Please include time, date, purpose, etc.
Quote:
On July 16th 2008 outside the Barbican in London UK, a demonstration will be held to protest against the use of Deep Packet Inspection for the purpose of behavioural advertising (more specifically Phorm).

The protest has been timed to coincide with BT's annual general meeting and will be held outside that AGM.

BT have announced an agreement with Phorm to deploy Deep Packet Inspection technology which has been reported as illegal by key privacy advocates, academics, peers in the House of Lords and Politicians in the UK and EU government.

BT also carried out covert trials of this technology in 2006/2007 effecting over 120 000 of their customers, without first obtaining the consent required by law.

It is planned that there will be several key speakers at the event and a website will be set up in the next week on www.nodpi.org with more information.

Facebook event link

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

k I have 1 confirmed guest speaker so far. Not a bad start

Alexander Hanff
Old 29-05-2008, 23:39   #7544
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget the people inside the AGM.

I know Florence has plans and there is Richard Hawkins' kind offer. I think this may have been touched on several weeks ago, but is there a deadline for submitting written questions to the AGM?

If it's on the agenda, it presumably gets sent out to all attendees, so the question would need to be well phrased to attract their interest (or worry about their investment).

Does having a written question preclude a verbal one at the meeting? A question submitted a month earlier may not take into account the latest developments. There may need to be coordination between questioners.
Old 29-05-2008, 23:40   #7545
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

non BT CF members can join the BT run messageboard if you want to also post there BTW, expect any unpopular posts to be edited or deleted though by the BT Employees.

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/me...ID=23873#23873
"Peter N
Re: BT Webwise Discussion Thread
Posted: May 29, 2008 2:44 PM in response to: R Jones Reply
I tried to keep an eye on C/F but I keep getting deja vu from seeing my own posts reworded.

A quick look today shows the link I posted to Ian Livingstone's pay deal and even someone using the "Le-le-legal" gag that I wrote here. I only posted these last night and there's a number of prolific "contributors" over there who seem to get all of their info by reading this thread and then claiming the ideas as their own. Come on chaps - give credit or try to be original.

There's nothing wrong with posting across the forums to get fresh input but just trawling for ideas and then claiming them without due credit is no better than what Phorm want to do.

I'm glad that there are a couple of people here who post points from C/F onto this forum cos it saves me having to wade through all of the rest of it. Thankfully the info from C/F that gets posted here seems to be properly credited and linked.

In a way, closing the original threads on this forum did us a favour. There's far more useful info on here now and a lot less of the waffle and very few "Yeah dude!" postings that are fillers on the C/F forum.

I'd say that this thread has been more mature as a result and there has been a constant flow of ideas and relevent discussion and I'm proud of what we've done so far and I'm more than proud to be associated with everyone who contributes here.
I do not pay BT to spy on my family."
Closed Thread