Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

Old 05-03-2008, 18:51   #16
dompsta
Inactive

Services: 2x VM V+ boxes 20meg VM broadband
dompsta is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy,

hey rob

we usually get about 6-7 full installs a day. these can include repulls ( replacing customers damaged or old and perished external drop cables)

most of the other jobs involve installing tv, tv + telephone or tv telephone and broadband into various rooms in the customers house. some jobs are easier than others depending on what external work through the garden needs doing. so basically get a cable from the access point in the street to the house, putting on a service box and running cables from service box to where sevices needed on the property.

some people have concrete or tarmac drives which we have to disc cut through to get the cable to the property and re cement or tarmac after.

never heard of map before but i work for kelly's who are ok.

ill give u a little tip, when u do start, if they ask u if u want to work for a pay agency, say no and u want to work on P.A.Y.E (pay as u earn) which means ull actually be employed by the company and not an agency

hope this helps
dompsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2008, 17:30   #17
londontech
Inactive

londontech is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Im also a tech for kellys- have been for year and a half, and i do a mix of 1 man and 2 man crew jobs by myself in the london area. I also complete work to spec and QC auditors are constantly checking your work. I work long days, and the work can be tough so you gotta be prepared to work hard and to strict deadlines. The money can be good, and i enjoy the job and you can sometimes do a 6/7 hour day and earn £90/100 but you could work a 14hr day and earn £30... it depends on construction problems/ people not being in etc. however, 9 times out of 10 your wages arent calculated properly anyway and it can be a real slog to try and re-gain what your owed. Just keep an eye on them and you should be fine. if you get past the first three months you'll be ok.
londontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 20:12   #18
dompsta
Inactive

Smile Re: I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy,

what site do u work at mate? do u work at the reading site?
Old 06-03-2008, 21:07   #19
TWtech
Inactive

TWtech is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey rob ive been in the job since the united artists days and have always loved the job,almost 14 years, that says a lot. I work alongside great guys from all franchises and yeah we all moan a lot, but we all love our jobs. We are worked every day to our limit on a non stop , no lunch break limit, but the ones in power put their hands over their eyes to that fact and never acknowledge our efforts, shame they dont appreciate they employ the best guys out there :-(
TWtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 20:08   #20
rob f
Inactive

rob f is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks you for all your help and advice guys, i am going to be based in scotland,

i have working i an office for the last 4 years so i am looking forward to the chance and hard work.

fingers crossed all shall be ok,

rob f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 00:11   #21
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Oooh I hope you're not going to Edinburgh. They're having massive problems.
Then again, maybe you're the man to fix them. :-)
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:07   #22
rob f
Inactive

Na i am going to Glasgow,

what you mean massive problems ?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:39   #23
Foo Fighter
cf.addict

Foo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enoughFoo Fighter will become famous soon enough

what sort of salary are installers pulling? do you get private use of the van too?
Foo Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 14:45   #24
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

Lots of connection issues, loss of service, degraded service etc.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 23:34   #25
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dompsta View Post
nah not like that mate. we do our job properly and completely to virgin media specification. i know that ntl installers gave our job a really bad reputation and we are trying hard to put that right in our area and give customers faith in virgin media again. with bonuses i mean we get monthly cash sums from the boses high up if we get 0% complaints, 0% faults and we pass all QC's on our work etc etc. our site (bournemouth, poole and christchurch) is one of the top sites in the uk now and hopefully the rest of the country will take suit
Well it's nice for once to see that attitude from an installer, if only most were the same.
Old 15-03-2008, 15:45   #26
londontech
Inactive

londontech is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
what site do u work at mate? do u work at the reading site?
im at a south london site- and we are worked to the bone- with no thanks. However the money can be good so dont loose faith!

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo Fighter View Post
what sort of salary are installers pulling? do you get private use of the van too?
NO salary mate... only price work. You can expect £30 on a crap day and up to £130 on a good day- its swings and roundabouts... but YOU ARE NOT GARRENTEED ANY WAGES AT ALL. If no jbs go in- you get no money!

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
hey rob

we usually get about 6-7 full installs a day. these can include repulls ( replacing customers damaged or old and perished external drop cables)

most of the other jobs involve installing tv, tv + telephone or tv telephone and broadband into various rooms in the customers house. some jobs are easier than others depending on what external work through the garden needs doing. so basically get a cable from the access point in the street to the house, putting on a service box and running cables from service box to where sevices needed on the property.

some people have concrete or tarmac drives which we have to disc cut through to get the cable to the property and re cement or tarmac after.

never heard of map before but i work for kelly's who are ok.

ill give u a little tip, when u do start, if they ask u if u want to work for a pay agency, say no and u want to work on P.A.Y.E (pay as u earn) which means ull actually be employed by the company and not an agency

hope this helps
You'll be lucky to get on PAYE... CBS - (cable business solutions) will employ you and pay your wages...
londontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 22:08   #27
dompsta
Inactive

yeah, im on cbs and we're in the process of getting the GMB (our union) involved to get us put back onto our PAYE contracts as we were bullied into signing over to cbs. take it from me, if u get the job and u here that cbs will be paying ur wages, then tell them thanks but no thanks
Old 20-03-2008, 16:49   #28
rob f
Inactive

the company i work for now pays us a per day, so in a way it a salary we get.

cheers

Old 17-12-2009, 21:20   #29
elsharpo
Inactive

elsharpo is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,

i am an x sky engineer and would very much like to work for virgin installing.

Please can you give me details on who to contact to apply for a position in the hertfordshire area. (St Albans) as i cannot find anything on the website.

would much appeciate it. cheers.
elsharpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 21:42   #30
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: I have a job interview tomorrow with virgin media for a cable guy

http://careers.virginmedia.com/opportunities/index.html
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote