Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 11-08-2017, 11:46   #301
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban (2040).

I would not expect it to be cheaper to run an electric car but it will be cleaner and that's the crux of the policy change. The revenue will be in the power generation.

I say again, embrace the inevitable or Joe Public will miss out on their rightly treasured independence and the roads will become reserved for the "elite" by default. Negativity plays right into their hands.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2017, 01:03   #302
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
The lost fuel related and other revenues will have to be recouped from somewhere as will the massive cost of the national infrastructure required to support such a dramatic change. I have no faith that our glorious leaders can deliver on this objective and of course if/when they don't it'll be us mere mortals who'll suffer most of all...
Maybe if they're all incompetent you should run for Parliament and kick things into touch?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:04   #303
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Thought of this thread when the SyFy Channel showed the first part of a new series earlier this evening, where cars run on blood!

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/chris...11364202544307
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:03   #304
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thought of this thread when the SyFy Channel showed the first part of a new series earlier this evening, where cars run on blood!

http://tv.bt.com/tv/tv-from-bt/chris...11364202544307
Yes, yes that's all very interesting but does she get her kit off?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:58   #305
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
... and therein lies the reality. We're not going to have a choice and will be reliant upon our local and national authorities to get it right and ensure sufficient infrastructure of the right type is there when it's required. I'm sorry but given the debacles surrounding London's new airport/runway, power generating capacity etc. I don't have a great deal of faith that the reality will bear any relation to what's being envisaged. It may be possible in societies such as Korea but in the UK I can see this being chaotic with a huge impact on personal freedom. Of course the great and the good will be effectively exempt from any of that and no doubt delighted that the rest of us aren't clogging up the roads for them as they go about their business of accumulating more wealth whilst living the high life. I reckon a great many people really believe that switching to all electric vehicles will provide them with just the same freedom and flexibility they enjoy now with petrol/diesel vehicles but much cheaper and IMHO the reality will be very different, certainly within the timescale set out. The lost fuel related and other revenues will have to be recouped from somewhere as will the massive cost of the national infrastructure required to support such a dramatic change. I have no faith that our glorious leaders can deliver on this objective and of course if/when they don't it'll be us mere mortals who'll suffer most of all...
I believe that we will have a choice, Osem, just not between petrol and diesel.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-a...fuel-cell-cars
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:12   #306
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I believe that we will have a choice, Osem, just not between petrol and diesel.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-a...fuel-cell-cars
and with fuel cell technology (or anything else) in the offing who's going to want to install/underwrite all the national infrastructure required to provide for charging electric vehicles in public places, workplaces, streets etc. unless they're guaranteed a return? As I said before, technology is moving faster than our ability to service it. By the time we build the charging infrastructure the world could well have moved on to something new.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:18   #307
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

My two worries are:

1) Electric cars are too quiet. Almost been run over twice by silent Prius taxi drivers. Can't hear them coming, especially at lower speeds.

2) In crashes, electric cars seem to explode in to flames more than petrol cars going by the pattern I have seen in news articles. Assuming this is related to the batteries?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26   #308
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
My two worries are:

1) Electric cars are too quiet. Almost been run over twice by silent Prius taxi drivers. Can't hear them coming, especially at lower speeds.

2) In crashes, electric cars seem to explode in to flames more than petrol cars going by the pattern I have seen in news articles. Assuming this is related to the batteries?
I know what you mean about the lack of noise and it is dangerous. Our hearing is one of our most important senses when it comes to safety so I think these vehicles will need to generate some sort of 'artificial' noise.

Lithium is pretty volatile isn't it. I can see a major rethink in fire fighting methods also being required.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-be...ctronic-device
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 17:18   #309
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
My two worries are:

I agree with the silence of electric cars and they sould be given an artificial noise to make people aware of thier prescence.

I cannot agree that electric cars explode in flames more than petrol ones. You mention a pattern in news articles which I haven't seen.

Without objective data your item 2 becomes nothing more than an opinion which appears to have no foundation.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 17:36   #310
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I cannot agree that electric cars explode in flames more than petrol ones. You mention a pattern in news articles which I haven't seen.

Without objective data your item 2 becomes nothing more than an opinion which appears to have no foundation.
Quote:
The two-seater was “totally destroyed” by the blaze which also caused smoke damage to the building next door.

It had been left plugged in to charge overnight but fire crews were called in the early hours of Sunday (July 9) morning to tackle the blaze.

Firefighters registered a temperature of 300C as the 17.6kWh lithium ion battery back continued to burn.
Source

And Richard Hammond's electric car, also destroyed by a battery fire.

Of course to know whether this is more likely we need to know the rates of fires relative to the numbers of cars of each type.
Old 12-08-2017, 17:46   #311
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Of course to know whether this is more likely we need to know the rates of fires relative to the numbers of cars of each type.
Exactly, this is what's known as objective data.
Old 12-08-2017, 23:59   #312
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

They need one of them turbo whistler things.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 00:05   #313
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Nah, just a bit of cardbord through the wheel spokes!
Old 13-08-2017, 00:17   #314
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Nah, just a bit of cardbord through the wheel spokes!
wooden pegs. otherwise you'll be having to get out and adjusting all the time with the plastic ones.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 21:01   #315
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
My two worries are:

H'mm. You really should look both ways before crossing a road, not just rely on your hearing! Were you not taught this at school and by your parents?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote