Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Old 02-08-2017, 19:41   #256
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
but vhs and betamax were overtaken and replaced by stealing movies off the internet

will there be the theft of fuel/power option from these charging points
'Theft' from customers probably. Charging electric vehicles not stay cheaper than alternative fuels for long.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2017, 20:03   #257
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Make cars pack up if you drive them for less than 2 miles. Might cure us of diabetes and being a fat lazy generation too.
I see you occasionally think outside the box, Mr K.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 20:50   #258
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Whatever options there are, installing the required infrastructure is going to be a massive task and those involved will want to be sure they have some realistic prospect of a return on their money. With all the usual governmental dithering and regulatory burdens (e.g. health & safety, planning etc.) to be considered I can see this turning into a costly debacle. It takes a whole lot longer to implement ideas than to come up with them and there's a real risk that by the time it's done the technology installed is obsolete.
We have to upgrade the infrastructure anyway. Oil is running out and will become more expensive the closer to get to that point. We're running these things on a resource which is finite, polluting and comes from volatile sources which makes the supply of it insecure. We can replace this with energy that is flexible, can be renewable, can be clean, more efficient and produced nationally. It's entirely logical.

It does take a while, we have a while.

As for it being obsolete well it's more likely to be done so by driverless cars than something replacing electricity as a medium. The production of electricity or it's final delivery method is easier to swap around.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 21:14   #259
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
but vhs and betamax were overtaken and replaced by stealing movies off the internet

will there be the theft of fuel/power option from these charging points
They were overtaken by many things initially DVDs for sale or rented via LoveFiilm then Sky Movies, Netflix, Google Play etc.
Stealing movies came relatively recently in the timeline and only has a fraction of the market compared to services like Netflix and Sky Movies. Stealing digital content is easier than physical content.
Subscription models like Netflix are probably the likely route for electric cars, possibly combined with buses and even access to electric bikes. Interesting times ahead but with the potential for lots of job losses in the transport and automobile sectors.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Quote:
Whatever options there are, installing the required infrastructure is going to be a massive task and those involved will want to be sure they have some realistic prospect of a return on their money. With all the usual governmental dithering and regulatory burdens (e.g. health & safety, planning etc.) to be considered I can see this turning into a costly debacle. It takes a whole lot longer to implement ideas than to come up with them and there's a real risk that by the time it's done the technology installed is obsolete.
What will the petrol stations do? I guess many have closed down in cities as the price of land made them unviable. You would think that the BPs of this world might want to enter the recharging market but with driverless cars, maybe country pubs? will enter the market.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:26   #260
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
We have to upgrade the infrastructure anyway. Oil is running out and will become more expensive the closer to get to that point. We're running these things on a resource which is finite, polluting and comes from volatile sources which makes the supply of it insecure. We can replace this with energy that is flexible, can be renewable, can be clean, more efficient and produced nationally. It's entirely logical.

It does take a while, we have a while.

As for it being obsolete well it's more likely to be done so by driverless cars than something replacing electricity as a medium. The production of electricity or it's final delivery method is easier to swap around.
It's the infrastructure which is the problem unlike a petrol station which from a very small site can refuel hundreds of vehicles fully and within a few minutes. We're going to need to install sufficient on road charge points at every address which doesn't have space for their own, not to mention workplaces, public buildings etc. That's going to be massively costly and take years. It's that investment in time and money which risks being undermined or rendered needless by possible advances in alternative technology in the meantime. As I said, getting stuff installed in the ground is what takes the time and costs all the money to build and maintain. Who's going to pay for that unless there's a decent return on the investment? Either we pay through taxes or the prices we pay for our electricity or probably both. Either way, the carrot of cheap car charging is a convenient illusion for those who're forcing change. They also have to replace all the tax derived from fuel sales from somewhere else - guess where...

Last edited by Osem; 03-08-2017 at 10:29.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:40   #261
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It's the infrastructure which is the problem unlike a petrol station which from a very small site can refuel hundreds of vehicles fully and within a few minutes. We're going to need to install sufficient on road charge points at every address which doesn't have space for their own, not to mention workplaces, public buildings etc. That's going to be massively costly and take years. It's that investment in time and money which risks being undermined or rendered needless by possible advances in alternative technology in the meantime. As I said, getting stuff installed in the ground is what takes the time and costs all the money to build and maintain. Who's going to pay for that unless there's a decent return on the investment? Either we pay through taxes or the prices we pay for our electricity or probably both. Either way, the carrot of cheap car charging is a convenient illusion for those who're forcing change. They also have to replace all the tax derived from fuel sales from somewhere else - guess where...
i think investors will be nervous to put new infrastructure in place in case it is superseded by another technology rendering their investment void ,chances are nothing will happen and when the day comes we will just drop off a cliff edge and transport will grind to a halt
Old 03-08-2017, 11:11   #262
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
i think investors will be nervous to put new infrastructure in place in case it is superseded by another technology rendering their investment void ,chances are nothing will happen and when the day comes we will just drop off a cliff edge and transport will grind to a halt
I think some investors will be nervous, which is why they need a nudge here and there. I know this isn't a retrospective approach, but in Leeds as part of the planning process all new residential properties that have dedicated parking spaces with the property will require 1 charging point per property, while communal car parking will need 1 charging point for every 10 spaces. In addition the communal parking will need 'cable enabled bays' so extra charge points can be added later as and when required.

I know there's been some resistance but at the end of the day if installing a charging point during construction makes a development unprofitable then the developer really needs to ask if they're in the right business!!

Just because it's not headline news doesn't mean things aren't happening behind the scenes (I'm sure Leeds are not working in isolation). I know some people are trying very hard to find any reason to have a moan, but these would be the people shouting the loudest if the oil stopped flowing and there was nothing there to take it's place - especially if we'd known for decades that the end of oil was coming!!

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:54   #263
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I think some investors will be nervous, which is why they need a nudge here and there. I know this isn't a retrospective approach, but in Leeds as part of the planning process all new residential properties that have dedicated parking spaces with the property will require 1 charging point per property, while communal car parking will need 1 charging point for every 10 spaces. In addition the communal parking will need 'cable enabled bays' so extra charge points can be added later as and when required.

I know there's been some resistance but at the end of the day if installing a charging point during construction makes a development unprofitable then the developer really needs to ask if they're in the right business!!

Just because it's not headline news doesn't mean things aren't happening behind the scenes (I'm sure Leeds are not working in isolation). I know some people are trying very hard to find any reason to have a moan, but these would be the people shouting the loudest if the oil stopped flowing and there was nothing there to take it's place - especially if we'd known for decades that the end of oil was coming!!

Cheers

Dave
Is that all new builds in Leeds Grim ? I'm in Leeds too and work is sited in the middle of a new build. I haven't seen any charging points at the houses nearest to me although I haven't particularly looked out for them (until now). Sounds a good idea tho'.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:40   #264
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Is that all new builds in Leeds Grim ? I'm in Leeds too and work is sited in the middle of a new build. I haven't seen any charging points at the houses nearest to me although I haven't particularly looked out for them (until now). Sounds a good idea tho'.
In the guidance link lower down this page:

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pa...rking-SPD.aspx

Cheers

Dave
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 14:26   #265
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Transport for commercial purposes won't; transport for the individual might, which is why it is better to embrace the change to electric. That the change is cleaner is a bonus; for most people, retaining a personal means of transport ought to be their priority.

Go electric or get a bike; the choice is yours. Stinky old combustion isn't on the table.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 14:38   #266
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
In the guidance link lower down this page:

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/residents/Pa...rking-SPD.aspx

Cheers

Dave
Ta for that. Good to see
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 17:41   #267
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Transport for commercial purposes won't; transport for the individual might, which is why it is better to embrace the change to electric. That the change is cleaner is a bonus; for most people, retaining a personal means of transport ought to be their priority.

Go electric or get a bike; the choice is yours. Stinky old combustion isn't on the table.
I'm doing neither of those things. Go inefficient electric if you like, and dice with death on your bike if that gives you a thrill.

I'm going for tried and tested petrol cars for as long as possible, and if I have the option of a hydrogen fuelled car when I'm forced to do the other thing, then that's what I will get.

We have until 2040 to figure that one out, and I dare say used petrol cars will be around for a lot longer. No need for me to worry, then.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 18:10   #268
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I'm doing neither of those things. Go inefficient electric if you like, and dice with death on your bike if that gives you a thrill.

I'm going for tried and tested petrol cars for as long as possible, and if I have the option of a hydrogen fuelled car when I'm forced to do the other thing, then that's what I will get.

We have until 2040 to figure that one out, and I dare say used petrol cars will be around for a lot longer. No need for me to worry, then.
Pollution was never going to be an issue for anyone with an "I'm alright Jack" mentality.

Given that oil reserves are finite, pollution is killing us and we don't know if a hydrogen option will ever become available, what is your advice to someone who is in their teens/early twenties?

There is indeed no need for you to worry; but don't you worry for them?
Old 03-08-2017, 18:14   #269
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Pollution was never going to be an issue for anyone with an "I'm alright Jack" mentality.

Given that oil reserves are finite, pollution is killing us and we don't know if a hydrogen option will ever become available, what is your advice to someone who is in their teens/early twenties?

There is indeed no need for you to worry; but don't you worry for them?
suck it up i had to
Old 03-08-2017, 18:26   #270
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
suck it up i had to
Yeah, sod 'em. Sadly .