Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Remote on V6

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Remote on V6

Old 07-10-2017, 14:27   #1
SydneyAllbright
Inactive

SydneyAllbright is an unknown quantity at this point
Remote on V6

Upgraded earlier in the year to V6 from Tivo. The remote that came with the V6 stubbornly refused to work properly. It would turn TV on/off and increase/decrease volume yet would not operate to work the V6 box functions.

Fortunately, the old remote from the Tivo worked fine and I used that but got on to Virgin who sent me a replacement remote. This is slightly better than the first one, but is pretty hit and miss when it comes to the V6 box functions (it works fine with the TV). Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

Have I been very unfortunate? Or has anyone else had a similar problem? I am still using the old Tivo remote which still works perfectly.
SydneyAllbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2017, 14:43   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Remote on V6

Is the remote paired to the V6? If not, then pair it. If it is, try reseting it to unpair it (there might be an RF interference problem in your room that's stopping it working correctly when paired). The instructions for pairing and resetting are here:
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/...rgin-TV-remote

ps. Welcome to the forum!
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 14:43   #3
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

I use the V6 remote in the bedroom (V6 is in room adjacent to bedroom) and don't recall any problems.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 21:53   #4
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

I'm on my second remote too, same symptoms as you describe although this one has lasted a lot longer than the first.

I think one or two others on here have had the same too. Hopefully your issue gets sorted soon, CS don't normally quibble with remotes, they just send them out. It will be interesting what they say since you've not long got a new one though
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 22:29   #5
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's unlikely to be a faulty remote. Interference blocking the signal is far more likely.
Old 07-10-2017, 23:56   #6
SydneyAllbright
Inactive

Thanks for all your replies and welcomes to the forum.

I have paired both the V6 remotes on several occasions using both methods described on the Virgin Media website. The newer (i.e. replacement one) does show a slight improvement in performance immediately after pairing but far from perfect or far from the performance of the old Tivo remote which I continue to use.

I can see that there might be some possibility of interference with the radio signal but the infra red signal should be able to override this, or so I would have thought. I will see if I can identify the radio interfering culprit. I think that I've tried everything else.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:38   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyAllbright View Post
I can see that there might be some possibility of interference with the radio signal but the infra red signal should be able to override this
If the RF is paired it doesn't send an IR signal. I suggested unpairing it so that it would use IR instead.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:37   #8
SydneyAllbright
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If the RF is paired it doesn't send an IR signal. I suggested unpairing it so that it would use IR instead.
Right, will try that. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Update.

The replacement remote (second V6 remote) works great on infra-red. The original V6 remote does not work at all.

Thanks again spiderplant and all who replied.
Old 08-10-2017, 20:10   #9
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Excellent!

There's a chance it'll re-pair itself automatically, but if it does, just unpair it again, and eventually it'll give up trying.