Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub as modem and old 10meg Netgear router as 'router'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

New Modem

Old 29-03-2012, 00:24   #1
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
New Modem

My VMNG300v2 has bit the dust no power at all from it, it's just dead. So I just had the super Hub activated that I already had in my cupboard form when I had 100meg installed about 8 months ago.

Fingers crossed I get no problems from it...

Wish me luck.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2012, 07:34   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New Modem

i would say it is a bit 50/50 but if you havent done so already you want to bang it into modem mode. If you had the VMNG300 before you would have had your own router and whatever you have got now is going to be more reliable than the shub
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 12:14   #3
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
I think I'll try it out as a router at first to see how it goes. Then if it's no good put it into modem only mode and connect up Linksys E2000 router.

I'll be running 2 iPhones, iPad, laptop and PS Vita via wireless. Then with home plugs 2 PS3s, TV and 2 Blu ray players.
Old 29-03-2012, 12:23   #4
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
I think I'll try it out as a router at first to see how it goes. Then if it's no good put it into modem only mode and connect up Linksys E2000 router.

I'll be running 2 iPhones, iPad, laptop and PS Vita via wireless. Then with home plugs 2 PS3s, TV and 2 Blu ray players.
If you already have the Linksys I wouldnt run the superhub in router mode at all the Linksys will be superior to it as a router.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 19:05   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:

it's not very often I want to cry dude but this is one of those occasions. You have got a great router which is ideally suited for your setup and you are ditching it for something that is going to fall apart just by looking at your ipad. The shub simply cant handle multiple devices on different platforms on different connections methods. If you had the shub to start off with and came on to the forum moaning it wouldnt work the first thing I would have said to you is bang it in modem mode and get yourself a linksys router, but you have already got one. Don't do things backwards
Old 29-03-2012, 19:27   #6
borrissey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it's not very often I want to cry dude but this is one of those occasions. You have got a great router which is ideally suited for your setup and you are ditching it for something that is going to fall apart just by looking at your ipad. The shub simply cant handle multiple devices on different platforms on different connections methods. If you had the shub to start off with and came on to the forum moaning it wouldnt work the first thing I would have said to you is bang it in modem mode and get yourself a linksys router, but you have already got one. Don't do things backwards
Ha Ha just put it into modem mode and Linksys E2000 is up and running.

What's the super hub like as a modem then?
Old 29-03-2012, 19:58   #7
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

could be better
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 20:40   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Ha Ha just put it into modem mode and Linksys E2000 is up and running.

What's the super hub like as a modem then?
90% modem and 10% not It isnt that bad, it should defo mitigate nearly all of your potential problems. You can sit back happy now knowing that all your routing needs are being expertly handled by Linksys (they are going to pay me later)
Old 29-03-2012, 22:26   #9
borrissey
Inactive

Got another VMNG300 My mate had a spare one.

I'm happy now VMNG300 and Linksys E2000.

Just had modem activated, guy also said on phone VMNG300 can only do 92meg lol. Speed test it did 100
Old 29-03-2012, 23:26   #10
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Not to mention that the SuperHub actually increases jitter which is bad for gamers. Modem mode is a lot better and the VMNG300 it's even more slightly reduced from what i can gather. That can only go so far though.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 02:33   #11
crazyronnie
cf.addict

Services: Virgin 360 1TB x2, Maxit TV, M Phone, Hub 5 @ 350/36Mb
crazyronnie is on a distinguished roadcrazyronnie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Got another VMNG300 My mate had a spare one.

I'm happy now VMNG300 and Linksys E2000.

Just had modem activated, guy also said on phone VMNG300 can only do 92meg lol. Speed test it did 100
i got my VMNG300 from my 50mb connection. how can i reactivate for 100mb?
Old 30-03-2012, 02:35   #12
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

look at the link in thenrys comment
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 07:51   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

yup, look at the link and see how they couldnt care less. I dont think they are interested in improving modem mode at all because they want everyone to use it as a router.
Old 30-03-2012, 14:41   #14
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

can it not be improved in both modes General?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 14:51   #15
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

well the modem software is affecting both modem and router mode, so its a big issue imo

plus I sent the link to Mark_Wilkin in a PM and he has definitely read it as there was a read receipt
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote