Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung Galaxy S3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Samsung Galaxy S3

Old 05-01-2014, 22:12   #616
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Samsung Galaxy S3

My phone is not modified in any way or rooted, plus, I've managed to install updates before. I contacted Samsung who advised me to contact my network provider (Virgin) I've emailed them but I'm not hopeful.

I love technology but alas, it doesn't feel the same way about me.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Check your phone and firmware on this site

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/2/
Not sure how to use this but I have the following info on my phone from *#1234#

AP I9300XXEMF6
CP I9300XXEMA5
CSC I9300OJVEMF1

Would be grateful if anyone can help solve this friggin' mystery.

Just plugged my phone into KIES and I now have the following info:

PDA:MF6/PHONE:MA5/CSC:MF1 (AFR)

IS MY PHONE AFRICAN????
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2014, 22:57   #617
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/1...e=BTU#firmware

This page has the 4.3 firmware for unlocked handsets and you can install if you know how.

However they don't list 4.3 for some of the UK networks so I don't know if the branded versions are actually out yet.

Are you sure your phone is totally unlocked and free of any network brnading?

Your phone is running a UK firmware. Thats what the XX means in the PDA.

However the CSC I9300OJVEMF1 is Algerian. Thats what the OJV refers too.
Old 05-01-2014, 22:58   #618
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

This page has the 4.3 firmware for unlocked handsets and you can install if you know how.

However they don't list 4.3 for some of the UK networks so I don't know if the branded versions are actually out yet.

Hi,

I assume it's unlocked as I was on Tesco Mobile before, then switched to Virgin.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:39   #619
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The AFR CSC code indicates it's customized for a network in the United Arab Emirates.

I9300OJVEMF1 isn't Algerian. It's found in Kenya, Iraq and Saudi Arabia as well. Sounds like general (E)MEA region firmware.

[Edit]
OJV=Algeria, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Morocco, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia,South Africa, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey

However the CSC is the most important. The phone is customized for a network in the UAE. No wonder it's not updating...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 19:04   #620
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Well, waddaya know! Methinks an email to Amazon is on the cards. Thank you!
Old 06-01-2014, 19:12   #621
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

You should be able to manually update manually from the link I posted.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:18   #622
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You should be able to manually update manually from the link I posted.
I did try but none of the numbers I entered was recognised. Not that I can tell what number go where!

Just emailed Amazon and they've sent me a returns label. Unfortunately, its for Yodel, whome I trust not one jot.
Old 09-01-2014, 23:40   #623
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I think my S3 had some kind of an update today while the phone was in my pocket, when i took it out it had a message on the screen 'Reboot Device', so i clicked OK and ever since then i have not had any false wifi connection warnings.

It wasn't the usual android update as i watched it reboot, is it possible there has been a silent update of some kind if they exist and has anyone else experienced the same thing on theirs?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:36   #624
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I think my S3 had some kind of an update today while the phone was in my pocket, when i took it out it had a message on the screen 'Reboot Device', so i clicked OK and ever since then i have not had any false wifi connection warnings.

It wasn't the usual android update as i watched it reboot, is it possible there has been a silent update of some kind if they exist and has anyone else experienced the same thing on theirs?
All still seems well here after the S3 auto reboot!
Old 10-01-2014, 13:13   #625
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
My phone is not modified in any way or rooted, plus, I've managed to install updates before. I contacted Samsung who advised me to contact my network provider (Virgin) I've emailed them but I'm not hopeful.

I love technology but alas, it doesn't feel the same way about me.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Not sure how to use this but I have the following info on my phone from *#1234#

AP I9300XXEMF6
CP I9300XXEMA5
CSC I9300OJVEMF1

Would be grateful if anyone can help solve this friggin' mystery.

Just plugged my phone into KIES and I now have the following info:

PDA:MF6/PHONE:MA5/CSC:MF1 (AFR)

IS MY PHONE AFRICAN????
Quote:

Your phone is running a UK firmware. Thats what the XX means in the PDA.

However the CSC I9300OJVEMF1 is Algerian. Thats what the OJV refers too.
why not flash an unbranded uk rom with odin? or better yet root the phone and flash an ASOP or Samsung custom rom

---------- Post added at 12:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
All still seems well here after the S3 auto reboot!
sold both mine and now am a proud owner of a Nexus 5
Old 12-05-2014, 21:46   #626
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

A leaked Samsung rollout plan has shown that the international version of the Galaxy S3 will not get the 4.2.2 android update. The US version will get it though as it has 2GB of memory but Samsung are saying that the international version does not have enough memory for it as it only has 1GB.

The fact is 4.2.2 will run on a 512MB phone just fine so the S3 does have enough memory. The problem appears to be all the bloatware they added on.

As much as I love my S3, Samsung has mucked about with all the updates for it and I won't buy one of their phones again. The last update removed the ability to set an default NFC application which is an oversight they admitted but now wont fix due to no more updates. Since then I have had to choose an application every time I tap one of my NFC chips/stickers which I use for various things such as turning wireless off when I leave the house and automatic remote apps loading.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 22:02   #627
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
The fact is 4.2.2 will run on a 512MB phone just fine so the S3 does have enough memory. The problem appears to be all the bloatware they added on.
Yeah, the same thing stopped the HTC Desire getting Gingerbread, the manufacturer's insistence on shoving all their bloatware on it made it incapable of running on the hardware.

Thankfully I expect the open source community will support the S3 for quite some time, especially given there's a vanilla Google Edition from which updates can be ported with ease.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 08:48   #628
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Yeah, the same thing stopped the HTC Desire getting Gingerbread, the manufacturer's insistence on shoving all their bloatware on it made it incapable of running on the hardware.

Thankfully I expect the open source community will support the S3 for quite some time, especially given there's a vanilla Google Edition from which updates can be ported with ease.
The ever popular CM 11 4.4 runs on s3 and has nightlies.
Old 13-05-2014, 09:14   #629
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
The ever popular CM 11 4.4 runs on s3 and has nightlies.
I tried CM last year and had problems with wireless and a few other small things. Don't want to go through the hassle of the flashing again in case the same issues are there.

At the moment i'm using xposed framework with wanam xposed on my S3. It gives a lot of features you get in custom roms, without the flashing. Love having the record button on the dialing screen as much as the cosmetic changes you can make.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote