Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The press party for the EU Movie store.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PS3 Noise

Old 18-11-2009, 04:44   #1
dannyboy91uk
Inactive

Services: Sky World TV Sky +/Sky HD 100 MB Virgin Broadband.
dannyboy91uk is an unknown quantity at this point
PS3 Noise

Hello I am here again, but this time it's about a PS3 bundle I bought in October from Game Station. I'm not usually fussy over consoles because I never usually seem to have major problems with them. I was told when I bought the PS3 that the 250gb model is quiet, It's definitely not quiet to say the least.

The discs seem to be spinning so fast I can hear a constant noise, the fan seems to be working overtime and a nice symbol which looks like dust seems to be doing a union jack when I remove them from the console. I don't know if this is normal for a 250GB Sony PS3 console but I can't be sure, I've also had a problem with the console crashing when I press the Sony home button. I've been told that is a problem everyone seem to be having with the firmware update.

I have 5 games at the moment and it doesn't make as much noise as it does on Fifa 10 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, the other 3 games make a noise but it doesn't sound half as bad as it does on the 2 games stated above (the symbol still seems to be there though). I would take pictures of the discs but it's quite hard to show the markings on my mobile.
dannyboy91uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2009, 08:57   #2
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age
Re: PS3 Noise

It doesnt sound right does it, I,d say a call to sony was in order, i have a 80 Gb model at the moment which is nice and quiet, it doesnt crash generally but has on rare occasions.

If the discs are becoming damaged as a result of normal use, then I,d say its possible the alignment isnt right inside, which can be adjusted inside but I wouldnt recommend voiding your warranty for the sake of it, just send it back.

Re Dust, normally if your console is running too warm you need to give a good clean with a hoover and if possible use a can of compressed air to blow the fan out, and relocate if possible to improve the ventilation of the console.

Just out of interest how long have you had it, and was it bought new or second hand.
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:01   #3
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

There's a couple of threads over on AVForums on this issue, it seems that some folks have virtually silent slim models and others are having the noisy fan issue.

AVForums Thread

The first slim I got (which I had to take back due to no HDMI output) was a noisy brute, but the one I have now is silent except the occasionally noisy disc access.

As Pabs has said dust can be an issue, and from the AV thread the location of the console seems to make a difference too.

If the noise is irritating while you're playing I'd be inclined to take it back to Game.

Hope you get it sorted
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:07   #4
haydnwalker
Inactive

Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
haydnwalker has reached the bronze age
haydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze agehaydnwalker has reached the bronze age

I would agree with Ravenheart and I'd take it back to GAME as it may be doing damage to the discs if the laser alignment isn't correct. They would probably swap it out straight away if its only a month and a half old.

It shouldn't really be noisy at all, unless sony have taken to using cheap fans where the bearings are a bit crappy.
haydnwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 17:24   #5
dannyboy91uk
Inactive

Services: Sky World TV Sky +/Sky HD 100 MB Virgin Broadband.
dannyboy91uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought it just before halloween so possibly about 29th October, I still have the receipt but does everyone get a free 1 year warranty on the PS3 or not? I was asked before leaving if I wanted 2 years warranty on the PS3 and I said no because I had no more money on me.
dannyboy91uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 17:36   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy91uk View Post
I bought it just before halloween so possibly about 29th October, I still have the receipt but does everyone get a free 1 year warranty on the PS3 or not? I was asked before leaving if I wanted 2 years warranty on the PS3 and I said no because I had no more money on me.
The sale of goods act requires that when sold, an item must be fit for purpose, and must remain fit for purpose for a set time after sale. The act doesn't define that time, but most companies offer a 1 year warranty. I don't know specifically about the PS3, but Sony have offered a 1 year warranty on every device I have bought from them.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 17:36   #7
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Aye you're covered for a year Take it in and see what they say especially as it's only a few weeks old.

ohh don't forget to back up your save games beforehand, in case they swap it for a new one.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 21:06   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
The sale of goods act requires that when sold, an item must be fit for purpose, and must remain fit for purpose for a set time after sale. The act doesn't define that time, but most companies offer a 1 year warranty. I don't know specifically about the PS3, but Sony have offered a 1 year warranty on every device I have bought from them.
Sony offer a standard 1 year manufacturer's warranty on the PS3.

Regarding the Sale of Goods Act - your rights under this are with the retailer, not the manufacturer. It is the responsibility of the retailer to ensure that all goods conform to contract, are fit for purpose, etc.

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/cons...page38311.html

@ dannyboy91uk -

Take it back to the shop you bought it from.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote