Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Hidden features that suck!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Old 14-03-2012, 15:40   #31
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
TiVo is the original PVR, anything else is just imitation
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l will second that.
Thirded

---------- Post added at 14:40 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase001 View Post
Perhaps I am too negative, but honestly it is not the most intuitively system to use...
Which is more intuitive...pressing 'record' to set a series link, or pressing the 'yellow' button? I'd say the former, as Tivo does it and not the latter, which is how V+ did it.

Quote:
...and it's certainly more restrictive that a traditional system.
Nope. Not seeing it.

Quote:
Features you expect that are missing and some are fundamental.
Such as? (Other than reminders and red button as already discussed.)

Quote:
It’s full of bug’s too..
There may be some, but it's not "full" of them at all.

Quote:
If you want an example of how it should have been implemented, take look at MediaPortal which runs on a PC and that is totally free or for Linux fans XBMC?
Right. Free apart from the £200 or so needed to run it And do they do Wishlists and Suggestions? If not, then you can't compare them.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2012, 16:48   #32
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Carl,
Do you have an interest in Tivo`s success you seem to get very stressed,when people are not impressed by it?
yes it works but it is not the "great gadget" some posters seem to make it out to be.

Perhaps if it was NOT Hyped so much then the moaners ( I include myself in them) Would not get so up tight when it is posted as the greatest thing since the invention of TV.
I have to say( off subject but to show I am not put off by new things ) I love my kindle now that is a field leader.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 17:16   #33
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Carl,
Do you have an interest in Tivo`s success you seem to get very stressed,when people are not impressed by it?
yes it works but it is not the "great gadget" some posters seem to make it out to be.

Perhaps if it was NOT Hyped so much then the moaners ( I include myself in them) Would not get so up tight when it is posted as the greatest thing since the invention of TV.
I have to say( off subject but to show I am not put off by new things ) I love my kindle now that is a field leader.
I don't have any interest in Tivo's success at all. Until recently I was using a sky+HD box, and now I am using a Tivo. So I can do a direct comparrison. And as I have said previously, there are a few smaller features that need to included in future updates (which are done on line with the Tivo, but not with the sky box). But in general the Tivo is miles ahead.

And that is an unbiased opinion.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:49   #34
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Carl, Do you have an interest in Tivo`s success
Yes; in as much as I love the product and don't want to see it disappear anytime soon.

Quote:
you seem to get very stressed,when people are not impressed by it?
Not sure how you can tell my stress level through reading words on a screen

People make points and counter-points on a discussion forum. That's how they work!

Quote:
Yes it is. 400k currently in use says it is.

Quote:
Perhaps if it was NOT Hyped so much..
Huh? Show me any marketing campaign and/or tech product that isn't "hyped". Apple, maybe?

Quote:
.. it is posted as the greatest thing since the invention of TV.
IMO (and I can and do only ever speak for myself) it is exactly that.

Quote:
Yeah. And that wasn't hyped at all was it?
Old 15-03-2012, 10:50   #35
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Yes; in as much as I love the product and don't want to see it disappear anytime soon.

Not sure how you can tell my stress level through reading words on a screen

People make points and counter-points on a discussion forum. That's how they work!

Out of a total of How
Yes it is. 400k currently in use says it is.

Huh? Show me any marketing campaign and/or tech product that isn't "hyped". Apple, maybe?

IMO (and I can and do only ever speak for myself) it is exactly that.

Yeah. And that wasn't hyped at all was it?
Out of a total of how many households ? its peanuts

Yes all sellers Hype there product - BUT users, that will not admit its short comings - sad & that goes for I pad yes there is one in our house so I have seen it & used it. What is that really about.but back to Tivo

Kindle of cause it was /is hyped & I have to say I did not want it. I can list its faults if any one wants to know.However it is different( other E books are available & I guess do the same job ) & I was given 15,000 free books
( no that is not a mistype) My point is new "teccy" things do not worry me. A point earlier in a post.

Greatest invention. Sorry its a PVR with a few good points & some really poor apps. If people were realistic about it than perhaps a few moaners would shut up. I got it with my eyes open, saving money in the process.
When my two main complaints are finally addressed I will move it back to being my main PVR until then thank goodness for V+
Old 15-03-2012, 11:18   #36
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

In the amount of time it's been available, it's flying out and won't take long to eclipse V+HD households.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:23   #37
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Out of a total of how many households ? its peanuts

Yes all sellers Hype there product - BUT users, that will not admit its short comings - sad & that goes for I pad yes there is one in our house so I have seen it & used it. What is that really about.but back to Tivo

Kindle of cause it was /is hyped & I have to say I did not want it. I can list its faults if any one wants to know.However it is different( other E books are available & I guess do the same job ) & I was given 15,000 free books
( no that is not a mistype) My point is new "teccy" things do not worry me. A point earlier in a post.

Greatest invention. Sorry its a PVR with a few good points & some really poor apps. If people were realistic about it than perhaps a few moaners would shut up. I got it with my eyes open, saving money in the process.
When my two main complaints are finally addressed I will move it back to being my main PVR until then thank goodness for V+
And what exactly are your two main complaints??
Old 15-03-2012, 11:26   #38
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Out of a total of how many households ? its peanuts.
It "sold" 200k in the first three months and 200k in the second. For cable, that's some going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
In the amount of time it's been available, it's flying out and won't take long to eclipse V+HD households.
^ What he said

Quote:
Yes all sellers Hype there product - BUT users, that will not admit its short comings....
Assuming that's aimed at me (because it's me you're replying to) please link to a post where I have ever said Tivo is perfect and doesn't have any problems?

Quote:
Greatest invention. Sorry its a PVR with a few good points & some really poor apps.
Personally, though, I couldn't give a damn about apps. The original Tivo didn't have them and it doesn't need them to do what it does better than any other DVR.

Quote:
If people were realistic about it than perhaps a few moaners would shut up.
I don't know anyone who isn't "realistic" about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
And what exactly are your two main complaints??
Red button is one I think. Not sure about the other.
Old 15-03-2012, 11:29   #39
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

TiVo does everything I want it to do, otherwise I wouldn't have got rid of my old SA V+HD box

Horses for courses... people moaned about V+ often enough
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:40   #40
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Red button is one I think. Not sure about the other.
I almost never used the red button on my sky box. So I personally don't miss it at all.
Old 15-03-2012, 12:00   #41
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Me neither, but it is quite popular
Old 15-03-2012, 12:21   #42
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Me neither, but it is quite popular
It sounds like something that wasn't designed to be a Tivo feature originally, but people insist on it because they had it on their Sky box.
Old 15-03-2012, 12:45   #43
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

No, that's reminders
Old 15-03-2012, 13:38   #44
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Full Red button BBC ( cannot get a "progamme" called the red zone is my main problem BBC Wales) & yes reminders.

No Carl the comment was not aimed at you. Else were & I guess more than one person reads these. It was said that people such as myself are scared of new technology.

Lets get one thing clear. I like many things about the Tivo. If it had the two things listed above it would be very good. Sorry but that`s about as great as I will go.
Holograms & voice control would make it great !!!
Old 15-03-2012, 15:06   #45
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Lets get one thing clear. I like many things about the Tivo. If it had the two things listed above it would be very good.
And it will have both shortly

Quote:
Holograms & voice control would make it great !!!
No you're just taking the p!ss, right?