Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung UE32F5500 What keyboard

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Samsung Galaxy S i9000 & Galaxy S2 i9100

Old 15-07-2010, 22:27   #1
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Samsung Galaxy S i9000 & Galaxy S2 i9100

Getting mine on Saturday, anyone else been playing with one of these.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2010, 22:38   #2
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
re: Samsung Galaxy S i9000 & Galaxy S2 i9100

Good luck. I hate Samsung phones, I've had 2 and they've both been awful. Stylish, but useless is my opinion of them.
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 23:11   #3
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

been thinking about one of these.. let me know how it goes
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 05:29   #4
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
Good luck. I hate Samsung phones, I've had 2 and they've both been awful. Stylish, but useless is my opinion of them.
I agree, they were once stylish but crap having once owned a D500 & prior to that a flip phone of some model. But this new one has a faster CPU & same speed GPU as the iphone 4, that combined with Android 2.1 (soon to be 2.2) OS & a super AMOLED screen should put it on the same level as the HTC desire & the iphone 4.

---------- Post added at 05:29 ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
been thinking about one of these.. let me know how it goes
Will do. A mate of mine has one of these & a Desire and says that although the galaxy S has some faults, primarily looking like an iphone he is happier with the S than the Desire.
Old 17-07-2010, 13:02   #5
alferret
cf.mega poster

Just had the phone for an hour and so far its stonkingly good. Posting this from it, dead easy to use and very quick. Should be faster when 2.2 is released.
Old 17-07-2010, 15:08   #6
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

One of my workmates has one.

Looks very nice, especially the SuperAMOLED screen. Same CPU (ARM Cortex-A8) as the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 & iPad, clocked at 1GHz (600MHz in the 3GS & 1GHz in the iPad, & estimated to be 800MHz in the 4).

If I had decided to ditch the iPhone, I most likely would have gone for a Galaxy S rather than a Desire.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 17:22   #7
Charlie_Bubble
Inactive

Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age
Charlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze ageCharlie_Bubble has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Just had the phone for an hour and so far its stonkingly good. Posting this from it, dead easy to use and very quick. Should be faster when 2.2 is released.
Let us know in a week how it is and maybe I'll reconsider my opinion of Samsung mobiles!
Charlie_Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 19:51   #8
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
One of my workmates has one.

Looks very nice, especially the SuperAMOLED screen. Same CPU (ARM Cortex-A8) as the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4 & iPad, clocked at 1GHz (600MHz in the 3GS & 1GHz in the iPad, & estimated to be 800MHz in the 4).

If I had decided to ditch the iPhone, I most likely would have gone for a Galaxy S rather than a Desire.

Well 6 hours in and I am mightily impressed. Adding to your comments about the CPU Matt it also carries on-board the PowerVR GPU along with a 6 Axis accelerometer and IIRC its the best in class for gaming & graphics.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Bubble View Post
Let us know in a week how it is and maybe I'll reconsider my opinion of Samsung mobiles!
Yea I will. If I get the time over the week I'll make a note of how it performs on a daily basis (I'll need to make a note I got a crap memory) and post a mini review.
Old 17-07-2010, 21:57   #9
alferret
cf.mega poster

On the point of the GPU I have just played Asphalt 5, and boy does it play well. Smooth graphics, no slowdown, sensitive accelerometer, great audio, better than a DS IMO (graphically not game play tho (yet))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ystbyveug-0&hd=1

Another game for the SGS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciR7n1arGbU
Old 19-07-2010, 00:01   #10
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Getting mine on Saturday, anyone else been playing with one of these.
Funnily enough, I was in the Vodafone store on Friday checking out the HTC Desire, Sony Ericsson X10 and the Galaxy S.

The Galaxy S is a fantastic bit of kit, I couldn't believe how light it is! The only thing it lacks is an LED flash. In my opinion, it's far superior to the iPhone 4.

I've never liked Samsung phones in the past, but the i9000 is superb, and all being well, I'll be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, did it come with Flash enabled, or did you have to configure it yourself in the browser settings?
Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 06:07   #11
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13 View Post
Funnily enough, I was in the Vodafone store on Friday checking out the HTC Desire, Sony Ericsson X10 and the Galaxy S.

The Galaxy S is a fantastic bit of kit, I couldn't believe how light it is! The only thing it lacks is an LED flash. In my opinion, it's far superior to the iPhone 4.

I've never liked Samsung phones in the past, but the i9000 is superb, and all being well, I'll be getting one in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, did it come with Flash enabled, or did you huave to configure it yourself in the browser settings?
Android 2.1 handles flash up to 9.x and works fine in all cases without configuration 2.2 will see 10.1 pre configured which should be on the SGS in August.
Old 19-07-2010, 09:29   #12
alferret
cf.mega poster

Initial thoughts about the SGS.

The Super AMOLED screen is excellent in all light conditions and especially on very bright\sunny days where you would normally struggle with seeing the screen this isn't an issue. 800x480 res 16million colors capacitive touch screen.

Menu comes with 7 pages, with horizontal page scrolling. Home page is #1 & the rest are to the right (so scroll left) but if you move your home page screen to #4 then you will have 3 pages to the left & right (makes it a bit easier) Plus an apps button that gives access to pages of apps that are installed on the phone (2 pages to start with)

Twitter, G-Mail, Photobucket, Internet, Google maps all work well (as they should) and there are thousands of free apps that you can DL from the Android market place. (But then you know this anyway)

QWERTY keyboard is taking a little time for me to get used to it due to me being used to the "normal" numbered keypad but it works well, my speed is increasing and for the first time ever I am using predictive.

There are a plethora of settings to play with, wireless works flawlessly on my "n" network but some people are having issues with the phone dropping the WiFi connection. The only issue I have is that when I leave the range of my WiFi on re-entering range I have to manually connect (takes but a moment) where as my 5800 would always pick it up.

The variants are 8gb & 16gb with the capacity to add IIRC a 32gb micro SD card.

Menu's are quick and very easy to use once you know where things are and I really like the notification area where you slide down a drop down screen which will give you info about messages received, downloads complete or pending and where you can quickly switch on and off WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0, silent & vibrate (don't know if this is customizable)

The 5mp camera is quite capable but sadly lacks a flash, but this doesn't detract from how well it performs. One thing I do like about it is the capability to take an 8-shot panoramic picture and it auto stitches it together. See attached (my first attempt I was moving a bit to quick for it so its not a crystal clear shot)
Also a nice feature is exposure compensation and touch & focus where you touch on the screen and it takes that as its focus point.

I cant give it a score out of 10 because the only other smart phone I have had a good play with, and to compare with is the Nokia 5800.

I'll take some hi-res photos later and add a link.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knights table.jpg (283.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg pana1.jpg (197.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 19-07-2010, 09:55   #13
zing_deleted

does it not ship with swype? A review I saw said it did . Now thats the keyboard you should be using if it does
Old 19-07-2010, 09:58   #14
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
does it not ship with swype? A review I saw said it did . Now thats the keyboard you should be using if it does

Yea it does come with swype, used it once & promptly forgot it was there LOL.
Old 19-07-2010, 10:06   #15
zing_deleted

once you get used to it its awesome lol