Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network transfer with the Superhub

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Maximum wireless speed with Superhub?

Old 04-05-2012, 14:53   #1
ssr
Inactive

ssr is on a distinguished roadssr is on a distinguished road
Cool Maximum wireless speed with Superhub?

I have recently upgraded to 60MB from 30MB.
At 30MB my wifi speedtest gave me 30MB
Now at 60MB the best wifi speed I can obtain is 45MB.(early morning)
Is this the best I can expect from the Superhub?
I appreciate I can improve matters with the Superhub in modem mode.
My LAN speed is 62MB
ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 15:42   #2
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads
Re: Maximum wireless speed with Superhub?

You should use inSSIDer to look at the channels other people are using to broadcast their networks and select the least congested range. I assume you're using a Wireless N adapter.

Interference from other people's networks and other 2.4GHz wireless devices saturates the frequencies which means that you get a lower throughput as a result, also, wireless is inefficient in itself, as the rated speeds are only achieved in labs where there are no environmental issues interfering, and then there's the overheads which take up the available bandwidth.

45MB is about what i'd expect to get from Wireless N in realistic usable bandwidth.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 16:30   #3
ssr
Inactive

ssr is on a distinguished roadssr is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that, yes I am using a N adapter.
Changed to channel 13. speedtest now 45MB, much improved for 17.30
I am in TS11
ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You can get more but it won't be easy on 2.4Ghz
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 15:33   #5
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

Wireless speeds sometimes drop off very fast with respect to distance to the AP.

That said, the superhubs wifi is naff anyway.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote