Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Old 01-04-2012, 18:26   #46
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Traffic Management Changes - April 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Most likely reason is VM realised they couldnt handle un STM'd 100mbit and had a choice of STMing it or increasing prices to make it viable to pay for upgrades, the latter I suspect needed a price much higher than £35 a month
if that is the case then I would like to see them do some form of bolt-on like for mobile phones where you can pay an extra £5 for another 50gb before you get stm'd or something.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2012, 19:18   #47
jagsman
cf.addict

jagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of lightjagsman is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to jagsman Send a message via Yahoo to jagsman

No matter what they do, they have to make sure it works correctly. I am on the 10mb, and at this precise moment I have shot well past their download limits. I have downloaded over 9gb since 9am, and my speeds are unaffected. Considering the download limits are 3gb between 9am and 3pm, and 1.5gb between 4pm and 9pm, at this moment I should be capped to 25% of my normal speed. The problem I have with Virgins STM, is that at precisely 9pm, my speeds will be capped. They dont get capped when I breach the 3gb or 1.5gb. All this downloading has been done using torrents, so the protocol shaping doesnt work.
jagsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 19:53   #48
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
if that is the case then I would like to see them do some form of bolt-on like for mobile phones where you can pay an extra £5 for another 50gb before you get stm'd or something.
You know this is about their cable broadband services, right?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:05   #49
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

the bit before the bold says "like"
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:43   #50
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute

If they are going to move to a monthly stm cap, and the information available on these forums seems to suggest that is the case, then they really do need to provide a server-side based bandwith monitor.

However until theres official statements, its just speculation.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:45   #51
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Yeah cause he wants boltons like you get on the mobile network for extra data limits. Not sure how its confusing.
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 20:53   #52
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
the bit before the bold says "like"
Old 01-04-2012, 21:09   #53
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:

Eh...........
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 21:31   #54
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
no, I want to pay £5 a month so I can download 50gb through my mobile phone

So lets review the conversation for those of us who cant keep up:

Quote:
stm is a pain in the ass. I wish they would just give us the option to pay the un-discounted price of £35 and keep things as they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Never gonna happen.
Quote:
Why not? I am not asking for anything new, i just want to keep what i have already got
Quote:
Most likely reason is VM realised they couldnt handle un STM'd 100mbit and had a choice of STMing it or increasing prices to make it viable to pay for upgrades, the latter I suspect needed a price much higher than £35 a month
Quote:

Sooooooo, given that I can't keep my current 100mbit service as it is and Chrysalis has suggested that it would cost significantly more than what I currently pay, I used an analogy of an already implemented service being used on another technology (mobile phones ) to provide an example of how VM can implement a graduated price plan to off set the additional expense for those customers who want an stm free service.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 22:03   #55
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Given that they would probably lose their job if they did, I am quite happy for them not to.

So, just just mindless speculation from you then with no basis other than something against VM by the sound of it.
where did I say it wasnt speculation?

I buy services of VM I dont have to like them.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 23:24   #56
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
So lets review the conversation for those of us who cant keep up.
And you're so perfect you never make mistakes or mis-understand anything?

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:24 ----------

Quote:
I buy services of VM I dont have to like them.
I don't generally buy anything from a company I don't like. I assume you don't have any choice where you live?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:49   #57
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
If they are going to move to a monthly stm cap, and the information available on these forums seems to suggest that is the case, then they really do need to provide a server-side based bandwith monitor.

However until theres official statements, its just speculation.
They are not moving to a monthly STM cap
Old 02-04-2012, 11:45   #58
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Where is the official new STM today ? There is nothing on it yet.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:49   #59
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The day isn't over yet
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53   #60
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The day isn't over yet
Maybe they can't decided yet because if the STM is pretty worse than the old one, and if Sky bring FTTC 80/20 with totally UNLIMITED and no FUP and no cap, then I think more peoples will be leaving Virgin Media to join Sky Broadband but I think Virgin Media had to be careful not to lose too many customers once Sky FTTC launching soon this month.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote