Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Sony Games Systems

PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

Old 27-04-2011, 12:38   #16
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
re: PSN back online after data breach. You must change passwords [see post 1]

i have both an xbox and a ps3 and i think ps3 is far better
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2011, 12:53   #17
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Lets not turn the thread in to another PS3 Vs Xbox one. Thank you.

Personally the PSN is really poor compared to Live and its also been confirmed that Sony had little or no encryption/security on customer details.

Not good at all. They better get this all sorted soon and will have to prove to people that they are implementing new security measures to prevent something like this happening again.
Old 27-04-2011, 14:15   #18
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Even if users' credit card numbers & security answers haven't been stolen, there is still a lot of sensitive personal information which has... Name, Address, Date of Birth, email address, etc. ...

I hope no one used the same password for PSN on any other sites or services...

If anyone has their credit card info on PSN, I think you should cancel the card, just in case.

If anyone is really worried about potential fraud or ID theft due to the breach, then you can register (for a small fee) with CIFAS for extra protection:

http://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIFAS
If you have been the victim of a mugging or burglary and personal identification documents have been stolen, there is a risk that they could be used fraudulently by the thief to obtain credit or other products and services in your name. For an annual administration fee of £12 + VAT CIFAS offers a service to protect your name and personal details from being misused in this way.

When you request 'Protective Registration', a CIFAS warning flag marked Protective Registration will then be placed on the CIFAS National Fraud Database against your name and personal details to indicate that you have been recorded at your own request for your protection.

CIFAS Member organisations dealing with requests for credit or other services from someone who has taken out CIFAS Protective Registration will be alerted to the need for caution. CIFAS Members, when undertaking their routine checks against your personal name and details will see “CIFAS – DO NOT REJECT – VALIDATION REQUIRED”. As a result of this, CIFAS Members will undertake additional checks to ascertain that the applicant is genuine and not a fraudster trying to use your details to commit identity theft. .

If you believe that the identity of a deceased person could be used by a fraudster to obtain credit or other products and services, a CIFAS Protective Registration may be placed by a relative or executor against the deceased person’s name and personal details.

Once your application for Protective Registration has been processed, the entry will be placed on the database and you will receive confirmation. The data will remain on the database for at least a year from the date of the most recent fraudulent activity, but you can request the removal or extension of the Protective Registration by writing to the address below.

To make a CIFAS Protective Registration, click here to download the form. The form must be opened with Adobe Reader, which is free software that lets you view and print Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) files. Please click the link to download the latest version of Adobe Reader. Once the form is complete, return it to the following address:

CIFAS Protective Registration
Capital House
e-state
Bankhead Crossway South
Edinburgh
EH11 4EP

Alternatively you can telephone on 0330 100 0180 (Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, 10am-1pm Sat). Please only use this telephone number for Protective Registration matters; for any other CIFAS queries, please click here.

Click here for answers to the most frequently asked questions about Protective Registration.

I can't actually remember which card I used on PSN. If it was my debit card, then I'm fine as it's long since changed & the one on PSN would be expired. I don't think I used a credit card, but I'm not 100% sure now...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:36   #19
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

as has been said, they need to sort out security, how could they not have any form of protection on the data? surely thats a data protection issue??

and while they are patching their systems up, they can sort out something with the CFW's, I personally dont mind people loading whatever software they want, afterall, your not forced to use windows, you can install any OS you want on your computer, but when its used to start hacking games, that does my nut in. Theres no point trying to get ranked highly in the world on call of duty because the top million players have all hacked, and there are people who have hacked to max their scores out, then others who have boosted them slightly, as made it less obvious that its a hacked score.

so all in all, sony need to boost security on all fronts
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:49   #20
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k11 View Post
as has been said, they need to sort out security, how could they not have any form of protection on the data? surely thats a data protection issue??

I emailed the Information Commissioner's Office last night, via the Data Protection Complaints page.

Just a query, rather than a full official complaint using the DPA complaint form.

casework@ico.gsi.gov.uk

---------- Post added at 14:49 ---------- Previous post was at 13:49 ----------

LOLZ...

Old 27-04-2011, 19:14   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I heard on CBS News (on Sky News 1am) that some 75,000,000 credit details may have been stolen.

If this true then Sony could face a lot of agro from those people who have money taken out of their credit card.

I would call my credit card company and get them to send a replacement card ASAP.

Thank god I'm on XBL.
Old 27-04-2011, 20:27   #22
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Well, it's 77 million total PSN accounts. Not all of them will have credit/debit card info associated with them.

I checked through my emails to find out which card I used for PSN... It was an old & now expired card, last used to purchase stuff from PSN in late 2008, so I'm safe regarding that, at least.

Still worrying re. all the other data though... name, address, DOB, email, etc., & potentially also security answers (e.g. mother's maiden name).
Old 27-04-2011, 20:35   #23
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I know people are fearing the worst but I don't think they will do anything at all with the data. I think they were just out to totally screw Sony and show it is easy it would be.
Old 27-04-2011, 20:44   #24
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

... Or they may sell the data on to credit/ID thieves...
Old 27-04-2011, 21:58   #25
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Lets not turn the thread in to another PS3 Vs Xbox one. Thank you.
Quote:
Personally the PSN is really poor compared to Live.....
Nice double-standards there!

---------- Post added at 20:58 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

Thank god I'm on XBL.

...until that gets hacked....
Old 27-04-2011, 22:11   #26
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Heres the culprit

DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 22:24   #27
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Nice double-standards there! .
I was referring to the post above mine.

I was talking about the actual on line services of the console in my post, the post before mine just claimed one console was rubbish compared to the other.
Old 27-04-2011, 22:44   #28
Tod
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - Tivo, TV XL, Broadband XL, Phone XL, Mobile
Tod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to allTod is a name known to all

Quote:
I was referring to the post above mine.

I was talking about the actual on line services of the console in my post, the post before mine just claimed one console was rubbish compared to the other.
OK so how is this different to (in the same thread BEFORE craig):

Quote:
Sony are totally useless.
I think you will find that is double standards.

Personally Live is poor compared to PSN because I don't have it
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 23:10   #29
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well with regards to the security question I would never pick a dangerous one, I have in the past selected other less senative ones, fav drink, first pet etc.
Old 27-04-2011, 23:38   #30
wwe
cf.mega poster

Services: Telewest Phone Telewest BroadBand Telewest Digital Tv v+ HD
wwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpackwwe has a very nice sixpack

have the hackers got everyone details who goes on the psn?
wwe is offline   Reply With Quote