Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Old 14-03-2010, 17:49   #31
zing_deleted

Re: Garden Dug Up and Cable installed on my property without knowledge

Openreach is BT
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2010, 18:31   #32
rag3d
Inactive

rag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enough

Spoke to neighbour, say's it's a broadband connection through Openreach [BT] and the people doing the work were Options [whoever they are] another neighbour tells me they saw a Cobra vehicle here [this is where Cobra came into this and for a week is all the information we had]. My neighbour assures me he challenged the contractors on commencment of works and was told by them that they were within their rights. My neighbour is in the construction industry and is familiar with the law regarding property rights. He has told me he complained to a named person at openreach immediatley, so it should all be on record. I spoke to BT last week, they have no record and have forwarded this to Openreach. I have also enquired of our highways dept as to who had permission to dig the road up. Sorry guys things are still as clear as mud but with my persistence and your input someone is going to get their Ass kicked and I will get my garden restored.
rag3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 18:34   #33
Wayfair
Inactive

Services: Virgin tinterweb, Tivo with an extra large package 'oh yes' and a speaky thing...
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array
Wayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze arrayWayfair has a bronze array

Are your neighbours services now live? if so you will get more action from his side if you do as already suggested and spade the cable, if you don't then to be honest he has no inventive to hurry this along.
Wayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 20:04   #34
SMG
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky TV, B/Band.
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal
SMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appealSMG has a bronzed appeal

Unless you are prepared to spend time & effort to sort out this problem, ie: start ringing round & convincing people they have done wrong, including the neighbour, has no incentive whatsoever to rectify the problem, then the easy solution is to dig your garden & cut the cable.

Let the neighbour & the company sort it out.

Also, stick em with a bill for putting your garden back as it was.
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 20:21   #35
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

An Easement cannot be granted by an owner of land who has no right to it. An easement is required by an owner of land where a service needed by that land passes over the land of another. As an easement is a legally binding arrangement potentially limiting what an owner of land can do with the land affected by the easement, it has to be legally arranged and would normally be drawn up by solicitors to attach to the ptoperty title deeds.

People often get easements and wayleaves confused. A wayleave is granted by the owner of a property to allow the service to be run through that property's own grounds to service that same property. A wayleave is much less formal than the easement, but basically gives the service company a right to enter onto the serviced property to maintain or remove the kit provided to service that property.

BT being a statutory authority will have the ability to dig up public roads. They do not have an automatic right to dig up private land.

As this is now not a VM installation issue, I'm moving the thread.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 21:51   #36
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
BT being a statutory authority will have the ability to dig up public roads. They do not have an automatic right to dig up private land.
They have to get permission to dig up public roads etc too, if this was BT Openreach then a formal complain through Openreach is the way to go. Obviously what is done is done but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be made to sort it out properly.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 22:18   #37
rag3d
Inactive

rag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enoughrag3d will become famous soon enough

Thanks Rob' I beleive my neighbour has a wayleave for his property and not an Easement.
I can [with the information gained today] deal with the people concerned when they open tomorrow. Things would have been so much easier if my neighbour had spoken to me when we returned home last week. Goodness knows what Openreach will have to say because everyone I spoke to at BT last week said there is no way whatsoever that BT would consider digging across anyones property without the owners consent.

---------- Post added at 21:18 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------

Thanks Paul, sounds like the correct way to go. Do you know how quickly these complaints are dealt with? Dont want to go for months with the garden in a mess.
Old 14-03-2010, 22:28   #38
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

They tend to deal with them quickly when they know they are in the wrong and it can be proved. Has your neighbour got any paperwork to do with the install that they may have signed?
Old 14-03-2010, 23:26   #39
rag3d
Inactive

My neighbour told me he signed for permission to dig on his property only. Will have to ask him if he has a copy. He told me he has made a complaint to openreach over their trenching across my garden and given me the name of the person at openreach so I do have something to start with at last.
Old 15-03-2010, 15:44   #40
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Funny thing is,why do they always have to dig up,why can't they attach cabling to nearby fencing and poles ect... I'm sure it would save them money as well???
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 16:23   #41
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

If it's done properly, the cable would be safer underground.

I for one wouldn't like our towns to look like the USA with cables on poles cluttering up the sky.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2010, 13:21   #42
rag3d
Inactive

Update
The contract was for BT Openreach. Have now been told the contractors are Cobra. Rep from Cobra knocked this morning and thought he could send a couple of men round to tidy garden [seemed to think the cable could stay under my garden]. When I told him I was dealing with BT legal dept he decided to leave it at that [fair enough].
Without exception the many different people and departments in BT that I have gone through have agreed with my complaint and have tried to help me resolve it. They do however seem to have as much trouble dealing with Openreach as the general public do.
I seem now to have had direct contact with everyone concerned except the people who's prime responsibility it is Openreach. I appreciate it is still early days but I would like someone from Openreach to speak to me that I should know what forward action I should take. My garden is not going to stay like this all summer.
Old 18-03-2010, 13:34   #43
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If you have something on your property that has no right to be there, then the final step is to notify them in writing, by recorded delivery, of your intention to:

1. Remove and dispose of the items in 28 days from the date of the letter;
2. Make good the damage caused by the original installation and
3. Make a claim in the Small Claims Court to recover your reasonable costs arising from the above.

If you think you've hit a brick wall, now is as good a time as any to do this.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 02:05   #44
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag3d View Post
My garden is not going to stay like this all summer.
It's already gone on for FAR too long. Put a spade through the cable right away!

Your neighbour, who knows about construction, just watched and let them do it. Sounds very sus to me. Is he making a grab for your land?

Put a cheap fence up as quick as possible.

As to another poster's point about you committing criminal damage to the cable, you can't commit criminal damage on your own property!

Sorry to the good ones out there, but I hate those install techs. Yet to come across a good one yet.

Why can't BT attach the cable through the air? Aren't there poles in your area?
Old 23-03-2010, 07:21   #45
Paul K
Inactive

Rag3d, try an email at steve.j.robertson @ bt.com