Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | fibre optic: is it worth it?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

End of my tether

Old 21-08-2008, 23:55   #1
chris9486
Inactive

chris9486 is an unknown quantity at this point
End of my tether

Hi, I am hoping someone can give me some help as vm are at a loss as to what the problem is.

I have had broadband for 8 months on a wireless router, about 3 months ago it started to play up. I would lose connection (intermittent) to the net but not the router.

I thought it was my linksys router so I bought a netgear one. I still had the same problem.
So I got the free router from VM which turned out to be the same Negear one I bought. Still the same issue.
I asked for a new modem. Still the same issue.
They offered a new splitter. I fitted it and still the same issue.

My modem works fine with my laptop via RJ45. Just when the modem is connected to a router it just loses connection to the net

A tech came out last week and said he thinks it is interference from somewhere so some 'sniffers' will come out. But can this be the case as my modem works fine by wire. It is just when it is connected to a router!

I'd like to state my laptop works fine wirelessly at my work and parents.

Has anyone heard of this problem before? Does anyone have any suggestions?

* Your location; Bradford
* If you are a former ntl or telewest area customer; Telewest
* The type of Set Top Box or modem that you are using; I have no idea, the modem has no name on it, generic I think. I use the VM Netgear router too.
chris9486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-08-2008, 00:10   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: End of my teather

What is running on your laptop in terms of operating system and software? Is there any significant upload or download going on including torrents, newsgroups, etc. Is the wireless properly secured / encrypted? Does the connection fail when at any odd time, even when you aren't doing stuff, i.e. overnight, or just during specific tasks?

When it crashes, what has to be rebooted? modem or router or laptop or what combination? Have you tried changing the wireless channel being used.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 01:19   #3
Jelly Bean
Inactive

Services: Virginmedia
Jelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really niceJelly Bean is just really nice
Re: End of my tether

Did you encrypt/password the router?

Move all wireless objects away from the router such as cordless phones and mobile etc.

Could you do this:

Click start then run box/type in box cmd hit ok/type in box ipconfig /all hit enter what are the results?

Click start then run box/type in box cmd hit ok/type in box ipconfig /flushdns hit enter

Click start then run box /type in cmd hit ok/type in box ping google.com hit enter what are the results?

Or ping your ISP like ping virginmedia.com
Jelly Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 11:13   #4
chris9486
Inactive

Re: End of my teather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
What is running on your laptop in terms of operating system and software? Is there any significant upload or download going on including torrents, newsgroups, etc. Is the wireless properly secured / encrypted? Does the connection fail when at any odd time, even when you aren't doing stuff, i.e. overnight, or just during specific tasks?

When it crashes, what has to be rebooted? modem or router or laptop or what combination? Have you tried changing the wireless channel being used.
I am using Firefox and Vista.

I have a 10Mb connection, the biggest load I put on it is a 500mb BBC iPlayer/Channel 4OD file probably once a day if that. I sometimes download with torrent the same tv shows if I have missed them as it is sometimes faster.

I mostly use the internet for my personal photography site, flickr and profileheaven. MSN also.

When I am downloading tv shows the issue gets worse.

It is properly secured and encrypted. I use the weakest security because my neighbours are degenerates who struggle to break into a tin of beans.

It fails randomly but worse at night, the other night it was every 5 seconds or so.

It automatically comes back on, I don't have to do anything. It will appear normal and then all of a sudden a page wont load. It says "network time out" yet I can login to the router as normal.

I have tried all the channels on this router and the linksys one I had.

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Bean View Post
Did you encrypt/password the router?

Move all wireless objects away from the router such as cordless phones and mobile etc.

Could you do this:

Click start then run box/type in box cmd hit ok/type in box ipconfig /all hit enter what are the results?

Click start then run box/type in box cmd hit ok/type in box ipconfig /flushdns hit enter

Click start then run box /type in cmd hit ok/type in box ping google.com hit enter what are the results?

Or ping your ISP like ping virginmedia.com
I am at work now so I will do this tonight.

I am going to reinstall my vista laptop and see if it helps. Someone mentioned vista updates.
Old 22-08-2008, 11:52   #5
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

Simply try changing the channel the wireless operates on. If you have interference then that will cause dropouts.

If the channel is set to 6, set it to one of the other ends of the scale, such as 1 or 11. Basically as far away from the current channel as possible. That should reduce the risk of interference. Most routers operate on 6 by default so if you have never changed it, and neither have your neighbours, thats where the interference is.
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 12:23   #6
chris9486
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbyssUnderground View Post
Simply try changing the channel the wireless operates on. If you have interference then that will cause dropouts.

If the channel is set to 6, set it to one of the other ends of the scale, such as 1 or 11. Basically as far away from the current channel as possible. That should reduce the risk of interference. Most routers operate on 6 by default so if you have never changed it, and neither have your neighbours, thats where the interference is.
I already tried this. The technical people at VM told me to do it. I have tried every channel.
Plus none of my neighbours have wireless networks/internet in range as my laptop doesn't pick any other up than mine.
Old 22-08-2008, 13:50   #7
Rewrew
Inactive

Services: TV: XL, Internet: XXL, Phone: XL
Rewrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Just an idea, if the problem only exists when you connect by Wifi I have known DECT phones to cause interference if the base unit sits close to the Access Point/WiFi Router.
Rewrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 14:17   #8
Joxer
Inactive

Services: 20Mb BB, phone
Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Joxer

When the connection drops can you log onto/ping the modem (192.168.100.1)? Can you ping the default gateway - the one from the router - should be similar to the WAN IP but ending with a 1?

Does the router still think it is connected?

Guessing you have an ambit modem - do either the sync or ready lights start flashing when the connection drops?

Before you start looking for run on the start menu it isn't there on Vista by default. Try Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt From there you can run some ping tests and traceroutes to try to establish where the connection is dropping. just type teach line below and press enter - copy and paste the results here when the connection comes back up.

Code:
ping 192.168.1.1
ping 192.168.100.1
ping (whatever the default gateway is)
tracert bbc.co.uk
tracert 212.58.224.131
Oh, and just thought, have you tried it wired to the router? Does that have the same issue?
Joxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 15:05   #9
CrowmanUK
Inactive

CrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about themCrowmanUK has a spectacular aura about them

What security settings are you using on your wireless, I used to get a lot of problems with my wireless router/card combination if I used WPA/PSK, something to test might be set the security to none, test the connection, enable WEP, test the connection again, backup your security settings first though so you can reenable them quickly once you find out if that is an issue.
CrowmanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 18:29   #10
chris9486
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewrew View Post
Just an idea, if the problem only exists when you connect by Wifi I have known DECT phones to cause interference if the base unit sits close to the Access Point/WiFi Router.
Ok I will plug a normal wired phone in!!

---------- Post added at 16:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
When the connection drops can you log onto/ping the modem (192.168.100.1)? Can you ping the default gateway - the one from the router - should be similar to the WAN IP but ending with a 1?

Does the router still think it is connected?

Guessing you have an ambit modem - do either the sync or ready lights start flashing when the connection drops?

Before you start looking for run on the start menu it isn't there on Vista by default. Try Start->All Programs->Accessories->Command Prompt From there you can run some ping tests and traceroutes to try to establish where the connection is dropping. just type teach line below and press enter - copy and paste the results here when the connection comes back up.

Code:
ping 192.168.1.1
ping 192.168.100.1
ping (whatever the default gateway is)
tracert bbc.co.uk
tracert 212.58.224.131
Oh, and just thought, have you tried it wired to the router? Does that have the same issue?
I am trying the other stuff first. If I lose connection I will paste the info you need here. I disconnected my dect phone and all seems well so far. :|

I do have that modem, I checked underneath it. The ENET and SEND light flash when I lose the connection. The router just flashes as normal. The I and Signal lights flash.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowmanUK View Post
What security settings are you using on your wireless, I used to get a lot of problems with my wireless router/card combination if I used WPA/PSK, something to test might be set the security to none, test the connection, enable WEP, test the connection again, backup your security settings first though so you can reenable them quickly once you find out if that is an issue.
I use WPA/PSK. From removing my dect phone so far I haven't dropped any connection from the router or modem.

If I drop connection I will try this too. I have a list of stuff to try now. Thanks.

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

To Joxer.

I have done as suggested by someone else and disconnected my DECT phone and it still drops connection.
It took me a while to do this because there's no specific pattern. I went a whole 50 minutes sat watching the utorrent before it dropped one of the 5 times in 80 mins.

So here are the results you asked for (I don't know how to copy and paste so here are screen shots);

Ping Modem which is 192.168.100.1

Ping Default Gateway and Router which is 192.168.1.1

From these it would suggest an issue with the router broadcasting but the connection dropping and reconnecting is not slow enough for vista to notice in the network and sharing centre.

If this is the case then why are the ENET and SEND lights flashing on my modem when it drops?

Also it would suggest there is some interference because 2 brands of router suffer the same issue. So would the VM sniffers be able to solve it?
Old 22-08-2008, 18:40   #11
Joxer
Inactive

Joxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really niceJoxer is just really nice

The connection is dropping between you and the router - so it is the (most likely) the wireless connection going down - the enet light flashing means the router is talking to the modem the send light means the modem is talking to the internet - that first succesful ping to the modem is way too high the last 2 are more like it. If your pc says the wireless is still connected it could be someone hijacking the connection or a spyware issue - did you do the reinstall?
Old 22-08-2008, 20:30   #12
chris9486
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxer View Post
The connection is dropping between you and the router - so it is the (most likely) the wireless connection going down - the enet light flashing means the router is talking to the modem the send light means the modem is talking to the internet - that first succesful ping to the modem is way too high the last 2 are more like it. If your pc says the wireless is still connected it could be someone hijacking the connection or a spyware issue - did you do the reinstall?
I am pretty reluctant to totally reinstall my laptop as I have it set how I like, but I will do it all the same. It doesn't have a restore drive or a restore cd so I don't know what I will do about vista.

One thing, is there something I can do to check if someone is trying to hijack it, i.e scan for other wifi 'items' in my area?
Old 22-08-2008, 20:41   #13
Joxer
Inactive

Your router should tell you who is connected - can't remember exactly where on a netgear - in advanced I think.
Old 22-08-2008, 21:18   #14
chris9486
Inactive

Yea I found that earlier, it just said my laptop.
In the past someone told me that even a network key can be broken.
Is there any extra security or should I just have a random password ie no specific name or numbers...?

I am in the process of reinstalling, so in about 2 hrs I will let you know if I still have the connection loss issues.
Old 22-08-2008, 21:37   #15
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9486 View Post
Yea I found that earlier, it just said my laptop.
In the past someone told me that even a network key can be broken.
Is there any extra security or should I just have a random password ie no specific name or numbers...?

I am in the process of reinstalling, so in about 2 hrs I will let you know if I still have the connection loss issues.
Your password/passphrase can be up to 63 characters long so its up to you, all you need to do is remember it