Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

Old 16-07-2008, 23:00   #16
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough
Re: Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

they got a cheek opt in by default they need to change that over here and pdq, it`s not the not making money is it just plain greed..
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-07-2008, 07:22   #17
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
they got a cheek opt in by default they need to change that over here and pdq, it`s not the not making money is it just plain greed..
I have every intention of leaving or not using any company or website that uses that sort of system. I hope VM and Phorm are reading this thread.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 09:54   #18
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

So this system applies only to your visits to ebay? They are using your visits to the ebay site to show advets on the ebay site? Is that so bad? By going to any site you give away information to that website owner as to what you are doing during your browsing of it. All ebay are doing it making a more obvious use of those statistics when you are on their site.

Or am I missing something
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2008, 16:49   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
So this system applies only to your visits to ebay? They are using your visits to the ebay site to show advets on the ebay site? Is that so bad? By going to any site you give away information to that website owner as to what you are doing during your browsing of it. All ebay are doing it making a more obvious use of those statistics when you are on their site.

Or am I missing something
No they also pop adverts into partner sites as well. Which means they are keep track of the sites you visit via cookies.
Quote:

Advertising Preferences

Use my information to show me relevant ads from eBay's ad network partners
Use my information to show me relevant eBay ads on other sites
That to me means they were going to track my movements across sites.

We ether put our foot down and say no to all this tracking crap or role over and let them shaft us.

Old 23-07-2008, 10:25   #20
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Thanks to all who pointed out the Advertising Preferences- they are now disabled in my account.
Old 23-07-2008, 10:27   #21
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Disabled in mine also, thanks guys
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 16:20   #22
Tims
Inactive

Tims is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just turned mine off, thanks guys... I can't believe it is opt-in by default, I hate this type of thing.
Tims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 16:58   #23
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Sorry but i feel so strongly about profiling that i dumped the gits, And i will do the same to ANY other company that does what they intended to do.

Old 09-08-2008, 16:21   #24
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

I've got to admit I have been slow on the uptake on this one.
I don't use eBay that often!

I note from ElReg the following:

From 13 July, new users, will be served "relevant" ads. The service is opt-out - if you don't like it you must change your eBay account preferences.
Existing eBay users should already have received an email warning them of the changes, which will come in from from 13 August.

Having now just 'opted-out' hopefully, as an existing user, I have escaped any profiling.

On the subject of AdChoice, eBay had this to say:

"AdChoice provides a more personalised and relevant shopping experience for our users, it is based on your previous searches and items bought. Participation in this programme is entirely optional and does not involve disclosure of personal information to any third parties. You can change your advertising preferences in My eBay at any time.

eBay views the protection of our users' privacy as an extremely important principle and we do not disclose personal information to third parties for marketing purposes without a user’s explicit consent. In the revised Privacy Policy, you'll see a new Marketing section that describes in more detail our collection and use of information for these and all our marketing programmes.”

From the following extract from the eBay 'AdChoice' page it is easy to see how this can be likened to Phorm:
Quote:
You have choices about whether we use your information in this way. You can tell us not to share any of your anonymous information with our ad network partners and you can tell us not to use your information to show you relevant eBay ads on other websites. Anywhere you see the advertising link, you can click on it to control how your information is used. If you opt out of AdChoice, you'll still see ads, they just won't be tailored to your interests.
icsys is offline   Reply With Quote