Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | XBOXLIVE problems.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

XBOXLIVE problems.

Old 15-04-2012, 16:11   #1
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point
XBOXLIVE problems.

I've just been trying to play xbox via our VM-30Mb connection an its just so laggy WHY WHY WHY WHY!!!

I'm starting to see Virgin's internet a bit like a large American car, Yeah virgin have high speeds just like a big 5.0Litre American sports car. But the big 5.0litre American sports car is only good in a straight line. Just like Virgins is only good for basic downloading.

A 2.0litre European sports car would beat the big American car around a race track with technical corners and chicanes. Just like it seems everyone else 8Mb connection beats my Virgin connection for everything other than simple downloading.

Come on Virgin sort this out! After every game in Modernwarfare 3 I message the winner asking who they get their internet from and all the best players are on either SkyLLU or Be-Unlimited. An now all the BT Infinity guys are starting to dominate. Its always us Virgin users at the bottom of the score board.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-04-2012, 18:50   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: XBOXLIVE problems.

it is because of your jitter, and having a shub wont help either
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 19:19   #3
Harryn9000
cf.geek

Services: Virgin 500MB BB , VM V6 x2, XL tv, Xl Phone Superhub 3
Harryn9000 is an unknown quantity at this point

i've got the same problem mate on 100mb the shrubs are a piece of crap and shouldn't be used
Harryn9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 01:55   #4
TROTER
cf.member

Services: TV/XL ,200Mb Broadband Super Hub 3 Modem mode and Linksys EA4500, Landline and thre
TROTER is an unknown quantity at this point

Try putting you Supper hub into modem mode and connecting your Xbox direct to the hub via Ethernet cable.
I gave up long ago tweaking the settings on the hub and now play Xbox this way all the time, also keep your games as local as possible no further than Europe. I am waiting for this router to be released:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...roductID=10541
TROTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 04:21   #5
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryn9000 View Post
i've got the same problem mate on 100mb the shrubs are a piece of crap and shouldn't be used
It's not just the SuperHub, although it is rubbish, its the excessive jitter on the VM network, specifically upstream.

2 years ago it was fine, i used to get 0 jitter, but something between then and now has changed network wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROTER View Post
Try putting you Supper hub into modem mode and connecting your Xbox direct to the hub via Ethernet cable.
I gave up long ago tweaking the settings on the hub and now play Xbox this way all the time, also keep your games as local as possible no further than Europe. I am waiting for this router to be released:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...roductID=10541
That won't help your gaming or do anything to improve it as the problem is on VM's end. Hell of a router though, think i'll keep my eye on that
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 11:00   #6
vmfriend
Inactive

vmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nicevmfriend is just really nice

Try googling 'MW3 lag compensation'
vmfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 16:21   #7
Harryn9000
cf.geek

i play fifa cod and battlefield and all of them lag and it connect to the hub via ethernet
Old 16-04-2012, 16:55   #8
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

I have to say the jittler was ok when 50MB came out, then about a year later problems started coming, not sure if that was local VM issues or the whole network.

Since 100MB came out. I just checked my jitter and it was 18ms.
Ping has also gone up seens the 100MB I am getting 33ms for that.

On 50MB, I was getting jitter around a max of 5ms and half the ping.

I have also noticed the lag in MW3, I don't notice it that much in BF3 on the Xbox 360.

Also it could be I am now on a superhub, when I had the 50MB when it came out I had the modem.
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 18:41   #9
Daveoc64
cf.addict

Services: Freeview Play, Virgin Media Gig1
Daveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about themDaveoc64 has a spectacular aura about them

I don't notice any particular problems with gaming, then again, my Jitter appears to be pretty low:

Superhub on the 100mbps package. Run at 5:30 in the afternoon!
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 18:49   #10
boroboi
cf.geek

Services: TT Fibre Large 78mbit
boroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quadsboroboi has a fine set of Quads

You're one of the lucky ones then. For 6ms of jitter, i have to wait till 12am onwards. Any other time i can expect 10ms + usually around 15 - 20.

Even after 12, there's some instances (on FIFA) of input delay but its usually more good than bad. Any time before then, then you can forget it unless you want to be severely annoyed.
boroboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 09:42   #11
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Although its often a little higher in the evening.
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 22:43   #12
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
Get a PS3
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 23:05   #13
Harryn9000
cf.geek

borrisey ps3 online is worse than xbox i should no i had ps3 last year for a few months lagged every single game so got a xbox again lags every so often now but vm networks makes both worse
Old 18-04-2012, 23:29   #14
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Just to balance the books. on XBL and got a shub and have no problems.so it is not a national problem..

---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
it is because of your jitter, and having a shub wont help either
haha there you go again . shortened version of Richard
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 23:53   #15
Harryn9000
cf.geek

i don't get bad lag that much now a reboot of router sorted it but ps3 online is terrible u cannot expect thing good online for free now