Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

Old 15-07-2008, 09:32   #1
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them
Exclamation Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

Just logged on to my e-mail before i leave and now it seems e-bay is getting in on the profiling act (partner of phorm?)

Customising Your eBay Experience. We're rolling out programs and working with partners that help make our sites and services, and some of the ads you see on the web, more relevant and useful to you. Naturally, because we're a transparent community, we will provide you with choices about these programmes. You'll notice a new preference now available in My eBay -: named AdChoice -: that lets you tell us whether you want us to use the information we have about you to customize the ads you see. You'll be able to sign in and change your advertising preferences in My eBay at any time. In some cases, we may also use information from other companies to select the right audiences for our promotions. In the revised Privacy Policy, you'll see a new Marketing section that describes in more detail our collection and use of information for these and all our marketing programmes.

:S
Bonglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-07-2008, 09:49   #2
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglet View Post
Just logged on to my e-mail before i leave and now it seems e-bay is getting in on the profiling act (partner of phorm?)

Customising Your eBay Experience. We're rolling out programs and working with partners that help make our sites and services, and some of the ads you see on the web, more relevant and useful to you. Naturally, because we're a transparent community, we will provide you with choices about these programmes. You'll notice a new preference now available in My eBay -: named AdChoice -: that lets you tell us whether you want us to use the information we have about you to customize the ads you see. You'll be able to sign in and change your advertising preferences in My eBay at any time. In some cases, we may also use information from other companies to select the right audiences for our promotions. In the revised Privacy Policy, you'll see a new Marketing section that describes in more detail our collection and use of information for these and all our marketing programmes.

:S
The crafty sods. I've just logged-in to my ebay account and unticked all the AdChoice boxes.

This has made me think that even when the Phorm debacle is over (after we've won and they've gone bust, obviously!) there is going to be a continuing need for a thread/noticeboard/website (maybe a job for nodpi.org ?) that posts news of every website/organisation that tries to slip this sort of crap in under the radar.

I for one would check in once a week and spend 15 minutes turning off such "features" on every site I use that tries to foist this on it's customers...
lucevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 09:59   #3
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

So where's the adchoice boxes? I can't find them and want them OFF
Tharrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:16   #4
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharrick View Post
So where's the adchoice boxes? I can't find them and want them OFF
Tharrick, go into the My Ebay account section then under the MY Account section on the left hand side select Site Preferences, Advertising Preferences is near the bottom of the list.

Hope this helps
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:18   #5
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough

That wasn't half hidden away, was it? I like how they stick it in the middle of the list (4 down in a list of 7) rather than right at the end where you'd expect new stuff to be posted.

Cheers, Ravenheart.
Tharrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:27   #6
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Login to ebay .. go to My ebay ...
go to <My Account> .. <Site Preferences> down the left-hand side ..
then to <General Preferences> .. <Advertising Preferences> !

I'd never seen these before, but both options were ticked YES ...

just beat me to it Ravenheart! .. ha ha ..
Wild Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:27   #7
tarka
Inactive

tarka is on a distinguished roadtarka is on a distinguished road

I'm really starting to hate the word "relevant". When I hear or read that word now the first thing that springs to mind is spyware!
tarka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 10:39   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

The ebay adverts are a new subject from the Phorm discusssion and have been split into their own thread.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:18   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Oscar View Post
Login to ebay .. go to My ebay ...
go to <My Account> .. <Site Preferences> down the left-hand side ..
then to <General Preferences> .. <Advertising Preferences> !

I'd never seen these before, but both options were ticked YES ...

just beat me to it Ravenheart! .. ha ha ..

done

however i have also sent a email asking for my account to be cancelled asap and that will be the same for any other company that introduces this system.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:39   #10
supered
Inactive

supered is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Ebay Adchoice - Another Profiling System?

ebay have also said they are soon going to start checking your comp when you buy and if it's not your usual computer they'll ring you to confirm the order, don't suppose there'll be an opt out for this.
supered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:49   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Actually they're listing the comps (note the plural) you normally use and if your comp isn't one of those that you normally use then they will ring you to confirm (probably be an automated press one to confirm it's you using your account....)

Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:57   #12
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

My there fast, Just had this email back.

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for your email. We're sorry to hear that you'd like to close
your eBay account.

We try to make the process as straightforward as possible, however there
are a few things you need to do to have your account closed:

1) Make sure you haven't got any open bids or listings and cancel any
active subscriptions (e.g. an eBay Shop)
2) Clear any balance on your seller account
3) Reply to this email with the following declaration: "I confirm that I
would like to close my eBay account"

Blah Blah Blah

Old 15-07-2008, 12:58   #13
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

They're obviously getting plenty of practice
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 13:10   #14
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy

I'm not suprised Ebay is doing this when you think of the number of people that use it. When everyone finds out and closes their account they will find out it's a bad idea
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 19:16   #15
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Update

I am now ebay free. Sent them a email stating that if they ever decided to remove there inbuilt spyware system then i might reconsider them but until then they can go forth in short jerky movements.