Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK piracy crackdown

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

UK piracy crackdown

Old 12-01-2017, 19:26   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: UK piracy crackdown

Unless I missed something, you can just bin the letter and forget about it ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2017, 20:28   #17
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Unless I missed something, you can just bin the letter and forget about it ?
Not a letter. but an email.

And I suppose they will have threats attached.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 20:44   #18
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

I'm not sure. It all just seems to be the bare minimum to comply with what's being forced upon them. Just making them look like they're actually doing something. Without thay original court order they wouldn't be bothering with any of this, they don't care.
Old 13-01-2017, 15:51   #19
solitaire
Inactive

solitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
I'm not sure. It all just seems to be the bare minimum to comply with what's being forced upon them. Just making them look like they're actually doing something. Without thay original court order they wouldn't be bothering with any of this, they don't care.
I would agree with that, after all if ISP's try to enforce this too much it will surely lead to a loss of business and they are not going to shoot themselves in the foot are they?
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 16:21   #20
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
No doubt the court order is legally watertight but technologically a colander same as the TPB injuction. So ISPs can comply perfectly with it as far as the lawyers are concerned yet inconvenience no users.
Old 13-01-2017, 16:36   #21
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

We're still making headway into new ideas and refined old ones too. Spotify, Netflix etc. I'd rather pay £8.99 a month or £10 a month for access to either than resort to P2P file sharing. It's just all together more convenient for me. It's actually starting to appear in gaming too. EA being at the very front of it. They now cover PC downloads with an extremely tricky DRM system but have rolled out EA Access to every platform. EA Access is a subscription at a cost of £3.99 a month that allows access to some new and old titles published by EA games, there's some very decent titles in there that would set you back £40-£50 a pop for the big ones. The way I see that, they're converting potential pirates and receiving at least some form of compensation for their product.

I mean Spotify is legal, completely free with intermittent ad support, is mobile and so forth, I get that people still want their physical media and have it outright as their own but the idea is still brilliant and surely has made a dent in that P2P gap in music. What doesn't help this is tools like Apple with default iPod's such as the shuffle and earlier Nano's that have no support for apps thus no support for Spotify thus again indirectly leaving three choices, Apple Music, Physical media or illegally via P2P

This is the best way to stop illegal P2P imo, making content as cheap as viably possible and worthwhile, all three of the above are well worth their value. EA have started the ball rolling in the gaming market and if someone like Valve who run Steam were to offer subscriptions for packages of games, you'd start seeing a huge decline in people downloading them from torrent sites.

Basically give people a reason other than threatening letters (in the past) and shoddy emails to stop turning to piracy.

I'd be more worried about illegal streaming hammering Cable and Sat TV packages right now to be honest. But again that's up to the content owners to find ways to encourage people to buy it rather than just sending out emails or letters. Yes the people are in the wrong but the better outlook is, will they ever change? VPN's, Proxy's... Nope.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 13-01-2017 at 16:41.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 16:41   #22
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Except for different circumstances. Downloading/Streaming with public tracker add-ons like TPB is no different from performing the same task with a dedicated torrent client.
Yet again you are wrong. There is a world of difference legally.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 16:50   #23
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yet again you are wrong. There is a world of difference legally.
Then feel free to explain how a third party torrent client addon that uses the same Peers and public tracker system as any other torrent client is any different. It would show in the peers list like anything else would. So forget VPN's? Merely access TPB from Kodi with a P2P addon from now on and download torrents that way? That's still P2P and that's still punishable as per the statement. I pretty clearly stated the difference between what single server streaming and downloading was (Which was what the article was referring too in regards to Kodi) and what P2P addons would be like. You seem to be still describing single server Kodi streaming and downloading.

For an example, here is a case of Kodi user receiving a letter in the US. Not because he was streaming or downloading from your typical addons, but because he was an idiot and got it from a public P2P addon: http://cordcuttersnews.com/comcast-s...to-kodi-users/

Note the lack of client identification as being Kodi, this is because the addon uses it's own built in support, which you can guess from the image what it was. So as far as I'm aware and unless you can provide anything otherwise, using Kodi with P2P addons that use public trackers will still be participating in P2P sharing and can be flagged.

In simple terms: If you use an addon via Kodi that uses P2P sharing for it's media, you can and will show up in public peers lists as active on that torrent under whatever client was integrated into the addon, as per the picture above. So If you use your P2P addon without first seeing what it actually entails (In reality it's uTorrent built in with it) and you go download Fury road as above, you will be shown downloading this and have triggered everything required for these emails. So no, there's no world of difference legally, it's the same thing. Single server streaming addons? Yes they're different legally but P2P isn't, which is why I still assume you're talking about popular single server addons.

What I'm trying to say is random people that go out and buy a Kodi box thinking they're all set and well without actually knowing what they're doing end up using a few P2P addons that sometimes neglect to state they're P2P end up downloading a flagged movie on say uTorrent, unaware they even had it, then blame something else because they assume it wasn't them at all, they've never had uTorrent when one of these emails ends up in their junk box. All because they failed to note the difference between Single server Streaming/Downloading and P2P file sharing.. Or in better terms, never actually bothered to see what they were really installing.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 13-01-2017 at 17:42.
Old 13-01-2017, 17:37   #24
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

No one with any sense uses P2P nowadays, unless via VPN or Seedbox

It's just ISP's being seen to do something that they've been forced to do.

Anyway far as Kodi goes, it's still quite legal to stream in the EU, there's been case law and everything
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 17:40   #25
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
No one with any sense uses P2P nowadays, unless via VPN or Seedbox

It's just ISP's being seen to do something that they've been forced to do.

Anyway far as Kodi goes, it's still quite legal to stream in the EU, there's been case law and everything
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is random people that go out and buy a Kodi box thinking they're all set and well without actually knowing what they're doing end up using a few P2P addons that sometimes neglect to state they're P2P end up downloading a flagged movie on say uTorrent, unaware they even had it, then blame something else because they assume it wasn't them at all, they've never had uTorrent when one of these emails ends up in their junk box. All because they failed to note the difference between Single server Streaming/Downloading and P2P file sharing.. Or in better terms, never actually bothered to see what they were really installing.
Or better yet, the article above in which Mr Idiot thought he was flash with his box and didn't actually know the addon he was using was basically Bittorrent.

In regards to Kodi Streaming/Downloading from a single server, (All the popular addons) It's up to the law to take down the provider as far as I'm aware rather than target the user.
Old 13-01-2017, 17:41   #26
Daz555
Inactive

Daz555 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would bet that unless you are in the top few % of downloaders then you will have zero chance of getting a letter.
Daz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 17:43   #27
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Not sure it's just that anymore, it can be as simple as a tacked movie or tv show, or a torrent deliberately placed.

I've seen reports of Game of Thrones episodes being watched over etc. You just be the unlucky guy that downloads a watched torrent.
Old 13-01-2017, 20:14   #28
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Or better yet, the article above in which Mr Idiot thought he was flash with his box and didn't actually know the addon he was using was basically Bittorrent.

In regards to Kodi Streaming/Downloading from a single server, (All the popular addons) It's up to the law to take down the provider as far as I'm aware rather than target the user.
Quoting an 18mth old article about something that happened in the US where the laws are different does not prove your point.

Under EU law streaming/downoading is not illegal. Where P2P breaks the law is the sharing back part, i.e. the uploading part. Kodi does not facilitate this.

Ergo it's not illegal even if streaming/downloading via a torrent tracker.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 20:45   #29
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Emails are a lot cheaper to send out compared with snail mail. So I suspect a lot will get them.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 21:29   #30
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Quoting an 18mth old article about something that happened in the US where the laws are different does not prove your point.

Under EU law streaming/downoading is not illegal. Where P2P breaks the law is the sharing back part, i.e. the uploading part. Kodi does not facilitate this.

Ergo it's not illegal even if streaming/downloading via a torrent tracker.
Er Kodi P2P add-ons upload. The only way to access P2P content is via a torrent client such as bittorrent or Acestream. Kodi can't stream torrents without these, both of which upload.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 13-01-2017 at 23:25.