Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

What is hitting football viewing figures the most?
View Poll Results: Why are football viewing figures down?
Illegal streaming 19 22.35%
Subscription costs 58 68.24%
Over saturation on TV 21 24.71%
Milleniums following the games on social media 2 2.35%
Quality of games being shown 7 8.24%
Teams with big fanbases being relegated 1 1.18%
Teams with small fanbases qualifying for Europe 1 1.18%
BT Showcase being under promoted 6 7.06%
Big games been shown on Fridays and Mondays (SKY) 6 7.06%
Games clashing with other big family shows (Great British Bake Off etc..) 3 3.53%
Interest in football is generally on the slide 10 11.76%
Other 7 8.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29-10-2016, 12:23   #16
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: What is hitting football viewing figures the most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They could certainly do it cheaper than it currently costs to watch all that , as I say they won't do because at the moment they are receiving bucket loads of cash from Sky and BT but how long can they go on paying those types of sums ?
I agree, the NFL have game pass the quality is great! The only down side is that they don't show Sky games and the playoffs live. Hopefully in the future the NFL will feel confident enough not to do exclusive deal with Sky and then I will dump Sky Sports immediately.
The Premier League have more than enough resources to go down the same route IMO.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-10-2016, 12:23   #17
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I think both will still bid I don't however think we'll see the high increases we've seen between previous rights.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:03   #18
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

If they are asking why myself and many, many others were made to pay for BT Sports but never watch it, it's simple isn't it?

We didn't want it as we don't watch sports!
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 13:51   #19
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

i think all the options are valid, different reasons for different people

i do think the 3pm blackout rule is slightly archaic though

i'm not sure an armchair man u (just an example) fan would go and watch their local team today just because the man u game isnt on tv, they would find a stream or just do something else and watch match of the day

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

I understand el clasico is a Saturday 3pm game soon, this will be the only country where it isn't shown live

And if it was shown live, I'm sure it wouldn't stop people who were going to a game from going anyway
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 01:52   #20
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnStable View Post
The archaic ruling by the FA that 3pm kick offs cannot be televised in the UK is a major factor for illegal streaming.
This afternoon we have:

Manchester United v Burnley
Tottenham Hotspur v Leicester City
West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City
Middlesbrough v Bournemouth
Watford v Hull City

Which no one in the UK can watch legally today. Yet free (or paid for) illegal streams in HD and with full english commentary are easily available for all these games?
I'd happily pay to see my team play on a UK sports channel if it was a 3pm kick off but guess what I'll be doing instead.
of course yep, I forgot to mention the obvious fact that many games are only aired overseas so people have no choice.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 11:36   #21
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

The current position is utter madness. People should be able to watch any Premiership match of their choice on TV. I don't buy the argument that 3 pm screenings would impact significantly on attendances at football stadiums. You cannot recreate that electric atmosphere that you get with actually attending a football match by sitting in front of the telly.

It's the same with TV shows. If the powers that be deny access to large audiences by restricting content so severely, they only have themselves to blame when people decide to see what they want to see anyway by alternative means.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 14:16   #22
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Premiership is as dull as ditch water, imported players, imported fans. stupid amounts of money. People are seeing through it. My local non league team are now getting 4 figure attendances, instead of the 3 figures they used to get, maybe people are working out where the better value and entertainment is (ie not on your tv)
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:29   #23
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Premiership is as dull as ditch water, imported players, imported fans. stupid amounts of money. People are seeing through it. My local non league team are now getting 4 figure attendances, instead of the 3 figures they used to get, maybe people are working out where the better value and entertainment is (ie not on your tv)
There were some great comments on the Guardian article on this and they backed up what your saying.

There just isn't a sense of community any more or any sort of affinity with the players or teams.

I've got Sky Sports but i haven't watched a game this year, i just seem to have fallen out of love with the game as it seems to be turning into a non-contact sport. Couple all that with the blatant cheating that goes on and i just can't be bothered with it anymore.

I used to take holidays from work when England were playing but the half-hearted efforts the players seem to put in for the National team convinced me i shouldn't even bother watching them.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:40   #24
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
There were some great comments on the Guardian article on this and they backed up what your saying.

There just isn't a sense of community any more or any sort of affinity with the players or teams.

I've got Sky Sports but i haven't watched a game this year, i just seem to have fallen out of love with the game as it seems to be turning into a non-contact sport. Couple all that with the blatant cheating that goes on and i just can't be bothered with it anymore.

I used to take holidays from work when England were playing but the half-hearted efforts the players seem to put in for the National team convinced me i shouldn't even bother watching them.
My God, you seem to be paying an awful lot for a batch of channels you no longer watch!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 16:54   #25
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

He's the same as you then
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:27   #26
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
My God, you seem to be paying an awful lot for a batch of channels you no longer watch!
Ha ha, i have a 50% off deal and i watch the NFL
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 23:38   #27
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

its a fairly weak premier league to be honest. A lot of smaller clubs have been promoted over the last few years (fair play to them) but they dont have a big fanbase to really bring in the eyes both at the ground and to the tv.

for example tonight it was stoke vs swansea. At no point did i want to watch that. Its a nothing game.

Big teams are in lower leagues where they have less games on tv. for example newcastle, forest, leeds, sheff wed, birmingham are all big teams who would attract more viewers.

Bournemouth are a small club, Hull really dont bring anything to the table and watford seem to be a sort of generic london club (there are far too many london clubs currently)

champions league tv viewership can be explained by the fact that man utd and liverpool arent in the competition. They would a ton of viewership both in this country and around the world.

The casual viewer wont watch tottenham vs someone. Tottenham fans would. The neutral fan would watch liverpool or man utd vs someone. Purely either out of intrigue or to hope they lose but it'd still get more viewers.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 22:33   #28
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Depending on who you get your TV service from, SKY Sports and BT Sports in HD can cost you nearly £60 per month. Most football fans could get a season ticket for their team for less. A season ticket for Rangers (my team) starts from £295.00. A season ticket, travel costs, something to eat and drink plus a programme for each game would still work out cheaper than subscribing to BT Sport and SKY Sports.
This. Rugby is my game and I can't stand football, but...

Via TV-XL (or Full-House or whatever it's now called) I get the Premiership and 50% of European games included. Since a few months I've had Sky Sports, mainly for the England internationals but it also means the other half of the European games are covered. Compared to Premiership & International match tickets, I consider it a fair deal overall - but certainly not cheap and I do feel sorry for those people who can't afford the pay-sports channels.

However - I often shudder at what the same would cost via other providers, i.e. having to pay for BT.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 23:33   #29
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

As far as l am concerned Sky / BT have put the price out of proportion to watch Sports on TV.

It makes me laugh when they companies pay silly money for Sports package's. I am totally mad on football on TV. But Sky /BT can reduce the price if they really wanted too. But the main factor is WE the customer pay the increased price each time each time. And they know that WE will pay it.

Its like Scottish Football, without the Celtic old firm games on Scottish football isn't worth watching as you know who will win the title. Before the game starts. And Sky don't invest as much as they do with the SPL
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 09:15   #30
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I'm only really interested in the Cricket on Sky. Bangladesh isn't an attractive away fixture to attend personally. No way I'd pay to watch it though. If you have a friend/relative that has Sky, hooking a laptop up to the TV and streaming via Sky Go is a doddle -picture is surprisingly good too.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote