Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 30-05-2016, 19:25   #1696
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Click the folder icon at the bottom of the screen then click 'This PC' on the left of the Window and that should give you a list of your drives that will look familiar to you.

As for your external try unplugging it and plugging it in again or into a different port and you may get a popup about it.
Will try again Thanks
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2016, 20:30   #1697
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Well I'm 82% into installing 8.1

Then finis doing the Vaio updates, 10 will have to be next weekend now or the one after that.
Old 30-05-2016, 23:01   #1698
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Well I'm 82% into installing 8.1

Then finis doing the Vaio updates, 10 will have to be next weekend now or the one after that.
Good luck, is your laptop really slow and that is why it is taking an age?

Once 8.1 is installed just make sure you install all the updates and I think you then get offered Windows 10 and it will download. Why don't you let it do an unattended install while at work or over night?
Old 01-06-2016, 20:06   #1699
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

At work we had Windows 7, we only jumped to 10 because it's free, with according to my company is still too expensive

On Windows 7 I had a gadget that allowed me to put a Analog Clock on the screen which I had put the US Time Zones as I deal with companies based in the USA.

But Windows 10 doesn't have them, now is that a Microsoft/third party app that is IT Department friendly that I can get put on my system?

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Quote:
Good luck, is your laptop really slow and that is why it is taking an age?

Once 8.1 is installed just make sure you install all the updates and I think you then get offered Windows 10 and it will download. Why don't you let it do an unattended install while at work or over night?
Not slow, its a i5 processor 1.8GHz 64-bit.
Old 01-06-2016, 22:43   #1700
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
At work we had Windows 7, we only jumped to 10 because it's free, with according to my company is still too expensive

On Windows 7 I had a gadget that allowed me to put a Analog Clock on the screen which I had put the US Time Zones as I deal with companies based in the USA.

But Windows 10 doesn't have them, now is that a Microsoft/third party app that is IT Department friendly that I can get put on my system?

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

Not slow, its a i5 processor 1.8GHz 64-bit.
It shouldn't take long to install maybe 30mins.

Maybe Cortana can do the timezone thing? But this app looks to do what you wish.

http://www.timeanddate.com/windows/worldclock.html

Last edited by SnoopZ; 01-06-2016 at 22:46.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 18:56   #1701
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
AFAIK Windows 10 removed all gadgets as they are a security risk.

So far, I've updated all the kit in our house to Windows 10 without any issues. After each install has been licensed in the MS Cloud, I've then wiped the installs and done a fresh install.
Accounts are then all set as local, i.e. not logging in with MS Credentials etc. and set as user accounts, not administrative. I never let any of my family log in with Admin, that's restricted for software installs etc. as and when required. I hold the password
So far, no issues what so ever.

Last edited by adduxi; 02-06-2016 at 19:02.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:26   #1702
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

You can download http://8gadgetpack.net/ which gives you access to all the gadgets for Windows 10 you previously had before MS in their wisdom removed them
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:31   #1703
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
AFAIK Windows 10 removed all gadgets as they are a security risk.

So far, I've updated all the kit in our house to Windows 10 without any issues. After each install has been licensed in the MS Cloud, I've then wiped the installs and done a fresh install.
Accounts are then all set as local, i.e. not logging in with MS Credentials etc. and set as user accounts, not administrative. I never let any of my family log in with Admin, that's restricted for software installs etc. as and when required. I hold the password
So far, no issues what so ever.
Opening a gadget is as dangerous as it is to run an .exe file. But this is not a security hole. If an attacker wanted to access your computer, he'd need to convince you to open his prepared .gadget file. As long as you trust the source of the gadgets you install and you use anti-virus software you should be safe.
Quote from Microsofts official statement to this: "How could an attacker exploit the vulnerability? An attacker would have to convince a user to install and enable a vulnerable Gadget."

sourcehttps://technet.microsoft.com/librar...or=-2147217396
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 13:04   #1704
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Remember to run a virus scan over the downloaded file/package before opening it.
Old 03-06-2016, 19:26   #1705
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Yes you can...
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:28   #1706
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Will try again Thanks
Did you get your external HDD working and are you still on Windows 10?
Old 06-06-2016, 11:53   #1707
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Opening a gadget is as dangerous as it is to run an .exe file. But this is not a security hole. If an attacker wanted to access your computer, he'd need to convince you to open his prepared .gadget file. As long as you trust the source of the gadgets you install and you use anti-virus software you should be safe.
Quote from Microsofts official statement to this: "How could an attacker exploit the vulnerability? An attacker would have to convince a user to install and enable a vulnerable Gadget."

But does the "Ordinary User" see gadgets as programmes in the same way? They may check new "programmes" and be wary of them but a gadget is just a clock/weather/news/mail on the desktop.
Old 06-06-2016, 23:06   #1708
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

On a technical level, it may not be any more of a security hole than EXE files, but bear in mind a lot of gadgets are HTML and Javascript based, so are vulnerable to any security holes in the underlying browser. If they retrieve some of that HTML or Javascript from a remote website, that is also a security hole.

Finally, there is the problem of perception. People may perceive gadgets as safe, as they generally only display some information, and have limited functionality otherwise. The computer industry has also spent a lot of time educating people not to open Exe files from unknown sources, while largely ignoring other forms of executables (such as gadgets).

Not that the education, even for Exe files, has been entirely successful. I've still seen many computers where someone has tried to watch a dodgy streaming movie, been told they need to download a plug in to view it, then stupidly downloaded and run the plug in from the link the message gives them.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 14:53   #1709
nashville
nashville

nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Did you get your external HDD working and are you still on Windows 10?
No not yet, Not sure what to do !!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 15:44   #1710
nashville
nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
No not yet, Not sure what to do !!!!!!!!
All is fine now with W10. USB connections working. Now I am Happy